J&E Petra to the Pyramids Sept. 26th 2021 tour. My experience....... By Mil.

Comments

• I ONLY travel with my sturdy, dependable Briggs and Riley Baseline International wide-body carry-on size suitcase. It is expandable. I find that using that one bag along with compression packing bags is all I need--regardless of trip length. I use my camera bag to store my iPad, phone, passport, etc. I cannot believe 2 people needed 7 suitcases.... seems like they could use a lesson in packing and how to cleverly rotate outfits.

• AlanS the area removed it's very small.. the new blgs are beautiful , I have a pic. of them... and the project when finish will provide Transportation to all the employees that work inside the complex.. not sure about the vendors.
    The problem is the 2 families ( Camel herders) that have monopolized the place and as the tourist are coming back they fight for the groups.
    By the way, in Cairo-old center most of the "SLUMS" are getting wipeout.. new construction (bldg) to replace them... are being offer to the locals. The president wants to cleanup the old Cairo.

• PureLuxury, good morning
    I pick my battles... if it doesn't concern me or doesn't interfere with my plans, let them take 20 suitcases.... it is up to Tauck to make sure it doesn't get that ridiculous.. the husband probably wasn't to happy about having to pay $ 150.00
    I do have to admit... I had a really hard time packing this time... no matter how I would rolled or folded I could not fit anything in...

• edited October 2021

**Mil* ...pick my battles... if it doesn't concern me or doesn't interfere with my plans, let them take 20 suitcases

Mil...trust me. I could care less about what anybody else does on tour as long as it doesn't interfere with me. I've been on tours where husband/wife teams have caused quite a commotion with each other and where others have caused much headache for the TD. Again, as long as it doesn't impact me personally, I can easily look the other way and get out of the way. I will not allow anyone to dispute my pleasures. Between my personal International travel and my international work-related travels, I have packing one carry on bag down to a science B)

• edited October 2021

Mil. Going back to the suitcases issue. I beg to differ. We rarely see people with more than one checked bag. Tauck kindly asks us to just take one checked bag and we adhere to that to be fair and considerate both to Tauck, the hotel porters. Tour directors and other guests. If only a few people take extra bags, it’s still extra work and more importantly time both to unpack the coach and distribute bags to rooms and vice versa. We have at times waited over an hour for bags to be delivered to our room when we changed hotels and have no time to access our clothing and wash things to take a shower before it’s time for dinner. In fact, we sometimes put those things in our day bag when we know in advance we will be arriving late at our hotel.
    In India, at an Oberoi,after about two hours, we went searching for our bags and found them sitting alone on a pathway. On another tour, our bags were MIA. They were found in an empty room after a thourough hotel search
    It also affects bag check up early morning when there are more bags to collect. Some of the smaller hotels just don’t have the extra staff, the bus driver and tour director have to help out too and they may ask for an earlier bag pick up to compensate for this. They do sometimes say if you have another bag you want to check for the coach, that’s fine, but they are thinking the larger carry on bags that again Tauck suggest you refrain from bringing.
    Now I’m realizing why you are so keen on cocktail attire and I’m not, you are probably taking two suitcases and me one. I’m paying the same as you for the tour and adhering to Tauck’s recommendations to be fair and considerate to us all. Savvy travelers pack light.
    Yes, I know I’ll get flagged for this, but you say no one cares, but I do.

• The 7 suitcase couple seem like perfect candidates for Cruises, not Land tours. Then the poor hotel porters, bus coachmen, etc. only have to load and unload their luggage once at the start and once at the end, not every day or two. They obviously think Tauck's one checked bag is a guideline, not a requirement.

• PureLuxury totally agree. :))

• Smiling Sam
    The 7 suitcase couple seem like perfect candidates for Cruises, not Land tours..

They seem like perfect candidates for therapy.

• You mean retail therapy!😀

• milmil
    edited October 2021

The 7 cases is not a common practice... not even more then 3 at the most... , I just mentioned as something unusual... and crazy.

:( Savvy travelers pack light.. Sassy type of comment....!

But just as general info. I consider myself a well traveled person... I have travel not only with Tauck but on my own for the last 35 years... every year.. I do know how to pack... just got little rusty while the pandemic year. :( just.. saying..... my 3 bags were not to carry Fancy cocktail clothes... I had for health reasons to carry with some items for my mom...

I'm so glad I did travel and came back refresh and happy... :)

My dearest Smiling Sam :0 Hello
    Yes, I feel for the porters etc... but every mind is a different world. for what it matters... the lady was dress fab. and husband always very elegant. so if that makes them happy, they're not harming anyone and Tauck doesn't do anything about it.. .... go for it.

• milmil
    edited October 2021

Moving along.. with DAY 11TH..

after visiting the Pyramids we continue to the Sphinx complex.. heard the story and historical importance , took some pictures and on to the Saqqara Pyramid. on our way there.. we did stopped for lunch at The Palm Resort , buffet style BBQ lunch.. nice food- great meat, we had a break of about 1 and 1/2 hour and then back to the coach...
    the Saqqara complex only about 10 min. drive from The Palm.

my mom thinks she is Posh Beckham... never smile to a photographer...

I wanted to jump in that pool sooooooooooo bad!

As we entered the Saqqara complex the local guide bought tickets for camera users and we went on.... no vendors.. this time.

dude.. wanted another $15 for the pic! that i took far waya with my zoom.. as he was getting closer.... I told him to call B Pitt too... no money, no money.. Habibi! big smile and took off.

We heard the story about the complex, who built it and how Mereruka finance the project.
    then we were given about 10-15 min. for pictures and on.. to Mereruka's tomb.
    Great Tomb.

and who is this beauty waiting for me outside......
    Moving along.. with DAY 11TH..

after visiting the Pyramids we continue to the Sphinx complex.. heard the story and historical importance , took some pictures and on to the Saqqara Pyramid. on our way there.. we did stopped for lunch at The Palm Resort , buffet style BBQ lunch.. nice food- great meat, we had a break of about 1 and 1/2 hour and then back to the coach...
    the Saqqara complex only about 10 min. drive from The Palm.

my mom thinks she is Posh Beckham... never smile to a photographer...

I wanted to jump in that pool sooooooooooo bad!

As we entered the Saqqara complex the local guide bought tickets for camera users and we went on.... no vendors.. this time.

dude.. wanted another $15 for the pic! that i took far waya with my zoom.. as he was getting closer.... I told him to call B Pitt too... no money, no money.. Habibi! big smile and took off.

We heard the story about the complex, who built it and how Mereruka finance the project.
    then we were given about 10-15 min. for pictures and on.. to Mereruka's tomb.
    Great Tomb.

and who is this beauty waiting for me outside ......

Well the Egyptian Brad Pitt that I've sent people to get their money from...... Habibi!

As we end the visit to the Tomb , we drove back to the hotel.. about 1/2 drive. - The 2nd and last PCR during tour was done on arrival.
    They have the group in a conference hall and called 1 by 1. you pay the Dr. with plastic directly. $108.00
    results are given to the TD next day and he passes then along the farewell dinner.....
    a small group of 10 of us.. opted to see the Light & Sound show that night . TD setup the transportation.. in total 4 Taxi's and bought our show tickets. This is the show done at the Pyramid-Sphinx sight. they Lit up both and tell the story ... visualizing the mysteries of the Pharonic civilization.

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=https://cvws.icloud-content.com/B/AdeEJMbJtIsjF2wcK_0G36YT_k3cASH_7Cx5uKqUQ2mJ2B2LGpqTEVzY/${f}?o=AsFs945aTn_Gq9ETJ9yX9VX--Laxl1Rt4FXZpuBPCkXB&v=1&x=3&a=CAogHi1PJjekPbW2iGhVveI5BSy1-CRKtdq0H5giqGlWhPMSeBDP4YPbyS8Yz_H-rtMvIgEAKgkC6AMA_wlxR0pSBBP-TdxaBJMRXNhqJiiGwXh0xh9DqMFbogBugxYYkp5FxUNtOYPUbyjOn1lzV6XCUHqycibOHVjUmNMuKha2XtBoFtevhlUkFubvKjZt5rW29bokhzI4jRRFTA&e=1637286394&fl=&r=3B10DEE5-3AB1-4160-9F71-84156BD45694-1&k=${uk}&ckc=com.apple.largeattachment&ckz=A16B2A76-ACE0-4BC4-BE62-EFC18D33DE50&p=72&s=4VxmNRas4jKSbIf9iMCCzcry4Vs&uk=Xy11hfPRdqN5mzcH6ncNQQ&f=IMG_8746.MOV&sz=65836849

Once show was done... we got back to hotel by Taxi and straight to dinner...

Cost of the show & transportation $ 30.00

Next Day 12th.

Great day at the Coptic Cairo and sadly our :( our farewell dinner.... no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the Egyptian Brad Pitt that I've sent people to get their money from...... Habibi!

As we end the visit to the Tomb , we drove back to the hotel.. about 1/2 drive. - The 2nd and last PCR during tour was done on arrival.
    They have the group in a conference hall and called 1 by 1. you pay the Dr. with plastic directly. $108.00
    results are given to the TD next day and he passes then along the farewell dinner.....
    a small group of 10 of us.. opted to see the Light & Sound show that night . TD setup the transportation.. in total 4 Taxi's and bought our show tickets. This is the show done at the Pyramid-Sphinx sight. they Lit up both and tell the story ... visualizing the mysteries of the Pharonic civilization.

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=https://cvws.icloud-content.com/B/AdeEJMbJtIsjF2wcK_0G36YT_k3cASH_7Cx5uKqUQ2mJ2B2LGpqTEVzY/${f}?o=AsFs945aTn_Gq9ETJ9yX9VX--Laxl1Rt4FXZpuBPCkXB&v=1&x=3&a=CAogHi1PJjekPbW2iGhVveI5BSy1-CRKtdq0H5giqGlWhPMSeBDP4YPbyS8Yz_H-rtMvIgEAKgkC6AMA_wlxR0pSBBP-TdxaBJMRXNhqJiiGwXh0xh9DqMFbogBugxYYkp5FxUNtOYPUbyjOn1lzV6XCUHqycibOHVjUmNMuKha2XtBoFtevhlUkFubvKjZt5rW29bokhzI4jRRFTA&e=1637286394&fl=&r=3B10DEE5-3AB1-4160-9F71-84156BD45694-1&k=${uk}&ckc=com.apple.largeattachment&ckz=A16B2A76-ACE0-4BC4-BE62-EFC18D33DE50&p=72&s=4VxmNRas4jKSbIf9iMCCzcry4Vs&uk=Xy11hfPRdqN5mzcH6ncNQQ&f=IMG_8746.MOV&sz=65836849

Once show was done... we got back to hotel by Taxi and straight to dinner...

Cost of the show & transportation $ 30.00

Next Day 12th.

Great day at the Coptic Cairo and sadly our :( our farewell dinner.... no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• edited October 2021

mil - ..... the husband probably wasn't to happy about having to pay $ 150.00

They're lucky it wasn't American Airlines. On American each extra bag beyond the allowed limit isn't $30. Each one beyond the limit increase in cost in some graduated scale way. For example, for 5 bags beyond the allowed limit it might be something like:

extra bag 1: $75
    extra bag 2: $100
    extra bag 3: $200
    extra bag 4: $200
    extra bag 5: $200

If the couple got tagged for an extra $775 they might not have so many bags or on the other had if the couple was Jeff Bezos rich, then no amount of extra baggage charge would matter.

Hopefully Tauck pays the porters per bag, and not a set amount that assumes one bag per person.

• milmil
    edited October 2021

Jejeje! Jeff Bezzos doesn’t do luggage.. he has clothes ready to wear in each port . His personal assistant does all the shopping .. his brother is still single & good looking.. he might like the Señoritas!! 😂😂😂 better find out where he's at!

• MIL - I am loving your trip report.

Is the Indian restaurant at the Mena open?

• Lotusgirl
    It is open.. no one went for dinner.... my group was either bar goers... o outdoor dinning .

• Smiling Sam, Yes... The photos are not showing... that's why I deleted them... please... Sam remove your post about the problem.. to AlanS, so it doesn't get more confusing.
    Thanks

• some bad JUJU! that tainted my posting.....

• mil - I thoroughly enjoyed your trip review, as well as your marvelous sense of humor. Thank you!

PureLuxury - You have impeccable taste in luggage!

• mil - I've been waiting for you to post a pic like this. Did you not see it?

• MIL - what was your opinion of the sound and light show? I have read reviews that range from very cool to very tacky and not worth the time. 😱

• BKMD, aloha!
    Nope, it wasn't there anymore.... we walk around most of the base of the Pyramid... nothing like it.

• Lotusgirl Lolol!! Tacky. -
    not so much the lights and the slides ,but the sound... the narrator sounds like a Disney ride type of voice .. but for $30.00 it was better than staying at that hotel... staring at Ikea style funiture. Capiche!

• kfnknfzk Hi
    like Elvis would say... Thank you,Thank you very much,,, Thank you...

• mil - Maybe they moved it to the GEM :) I couldn't resist posting that, as Stargate is one of my favorite scifi movies.

kfnknfzk - thanks for Liking my post. it proves that you are NOT the phantom flagger and I apologize for accusing you a few months ago.

• milmil
    edited October 2021

BKMD flagger is dying of envy!!! and probably with his/her/it finger in ice water...

• Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!! since I did the last update on my Iphone 12.... trash! I've been having problems loading pictures....
    it is a disaster....

• Day 12TH Final day...... just as we were walking as an Egyptian.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iacS9EnsepM&t=20s

• Mil I love the photos of your mom...she's got that look!

• BKMD - Now don't get all mushy. You have no need to apologize; however, doing so indicates you are a man of integrity...unlike some other individuals who shall remain nameless. Sorry, I couldn't resist that. I suppose yet another rant is sure to follow! Stay safe and well, sir.

mil - You are too funny. I would love to have you as a fellow traveller on a Tauck tour!