Egyptian Museum in Cairo (EMC) website

edited November 2021 in Egypt

Egypt recently launched a new website for the (old) Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Square. One section has five pages of photos of the displays. https://www.egyptianmuseumcairo.com/egyptian-museum-cairo/

There is nothing new on the private https://grandegyptianmuseum.org/ or official government http://gem.gov.eg/index/Project_overview.htm GEM websites.

On a negative note- the opening is still just rumor, but more and more rumors indicate the GEM won't open until Nov 2022 (as I speculated over a year ago :/ ), however, they continue to move stuff to the GEM. I wonder what will be left there in the months leading up to the opening of the GEM.

Comments

• AlanS
    I wonder what will be left there in the months leading up to the opening of the GEM.

The killer scorpion display! :D

• edited November 2021

The last time I saw a scorpion was when the San Bushmen dug one up for us. The time before that was on our past Tauck Costa Rica tour when one had crawled into another tour member’s day bag. That was the same tour when a guy on our tour was bitten by a tarantula.

• A friend whom I met on my trip to Egypt a few years ago, who is as passionate about Egypt as AlanS -- if that is possible -- is back in Egypt now, on a non-Tauck tour. She went to the old museum on Tahrir Square, which still has several of the Tut artifacts.

• British - Visit Tucson, you’ll have no problem seeing scorpions.

MCD - By the time AlanS visits the only thing left in the Old Egyptian Museum will be the killer scorpion display! 😂

• AlanS - You should go to Egypt now as a volunteer to finish the GEM and move stuff. I want it open in time for my trip in early Nov 2022!

• edited November 2021

I watched a meerkat dig up and eat a scorpion in Botswana. Tasty little morsel, or so I've heard. :D

• The following captures AlanS researching meerkats and scorpions while floating in the Dead Sea (assuming he doesn't back out because the water is too cold. :D ). He just can't stop researching.

• That GEM it's a FIASCO!!! By the time it opens.... we're all going to be mommies :(((
    I'm glad I went... not waiting for a museun.. life it's to short. I'll watch it on Netfix.

• july for me

• edited November 2021

I watched all two hours- how was the first lady able to hold her smile that long? 🙂

It reminded me of a Cecil B Demille epic or Busby Berkeley extravaganza. 🙃

If Egypt spent that kind of effort and money moving mummies and old wooden boats, and opening a 1.5 mi. section of old road what will they they do for the Grand Opening of the GEM??? 😲

• AlanS
    ... what will they they do for the Grand Opening of the GEM???

We will find out in March when the arrival of AlanS happens!!

• British — the last time I saw a scorpion was two days ago on my kitchen floor. The joys of living in the Arizona desert.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file