Options

What is the difference between "Sold Out" and "Not Available" for tours?

Browsing some tours and noted both used in the availability column. What's the difference?

Comments

• Options

I’m assuming that Not Available is just that the tour is not running at the moment, probably due to Covid. I haven’t noticed that on anything I have looked at. I’m not looking at tours that still show not running on the info page

• Options

No. They are interspersed among dates for a tour that is running.

For example:

• Options

Who knows, maybe a new employer who puts in that term instead. Another thought. If you traveled with Tauck in the days when they would add additional tours as original dates filled up, maybe those dates are slated to go live if that happens.
    Go on. Call Tauck and find out then spill the beans!

• Options

As the main page shows this:

I'll wait until things quiet down for them, if none of the forumites has the answer . Bottom line, those dates aren't available.

• Options
    edited March 2022

Just a guess, it could be a temporary thing- the tour had been sold out but there was a cancellation. Now Tauck is working their way through a "wait list" by phone calls. Once I received the call, I have been told variously that I had a week to a few days to accept or decline a wait-listed spot, though at that time, they listed the tour as "limited" which is a computer generated status.

• Options

I’m not sure if this will help but I was looking at a tour the beginning of last week online and it said sold out. A couple of days later, it still said the same, and then I decided to call my true blue travel agent and magically, my husband and I are on the tour. A good travel agent is worth it, even for flights.

• Options

sold out, no more spaces- full tour. Not Available tour is not running... cancel , not happening.

• Options

Best time to call is either first thing in the morning or 1/2 before closing... it always work for me. :)

• Options

I think it might have something to do with the number of solos that are allowed on the tour. I just searched one date for a particular tour as "one guest," and it was "not available" and then I searched the same date and same tour as "2 guests" and it came up "limited."

• Options

Good thought, MCD. Just an FYI... If it says "limited" under 2 guests, and "not available" as a solo, they do make exceptions, so doesn't hurt to call, especially for "special" guests who have traveled with them often.

• Options

I usually book way in advance for tours and before final pricing has been published to ensure I have a date and room category (if a riverboat tour) reserved. Once final pricing is published and the guest has been notified, the slot remains "not available" for two weeks to allow for the guest to confirm the reservation. Just a guess.

MCD just might have the correct answer, however.

• Options

MCD
    March 2
    I think it might have something to do with the number of solos that are allowed on the tour. I just searched one date for a particular tour as "one guest," and it was "not available" and then I searched the same date and same tour as "2 guests" and it came up "limited."

I've also experienced the opposite- it showed "limited" when searching for "two guests" but when I called to book, I was told it was only available for a single.

• Options

When you click on available dates, there is now an option for one guest or two, I’ve never seen that before. It seems that the number of singles traveling with Tauck must be increasing

• Options

British, If that we there before, I hadn't noticed it. I tried it our on this year's Scandinavia land tour and got a different list of tour dates Available, Limited, etc depending on which option I selected. Interesting.

• Options

When using the one guest option, depending on the selected tour, it may give the pricing with the single supplement added. This helps to avoid a call to Tauck to know that I’m figuring the correct tour cost as a single. I was fortunate to add as a single to a sold out date in the past. I had planned to go for a date that was listed on the site as available to a solo but, by calling Tauck, the representative got me my preferred date that was listed as sold out to a single. It may have helped that I was already also registered for another Tauck tour as well. They may save some rooms/dates in reserve for repeat guests.

• Options

Don’t think they save anything for repeat guests, why would they, they can sell out many times over in normal times. It does not make business sense. A lot of people cancel, so they might hedge their bets.
    People have mentioned on the forum in the past that it’s amazing how quickly they go up the list on a wait list. I can’t remember the last time I took a tour when the guest list cards have been handed out and there hasn’t been names on it that have cancelled. That’s why I’m reluctant to book small group tours because classic tours are often not full.

• Options
    edited March 2022

The one guest or two option has been there at least 6 years. There has also been a "single saver" option in the classic/small group pulldown for at least that long, too. There have generally been 3 or so single saver tours which discounts the tour $300-500 from the regular single price. These usually appear early and late in the tour season for the particular trip involved.

• Options

There has always been the option of one or two guests...

• Options
    edited March 2022

I've taken 21 Tauck tours and there has never been anything special available because of it nor do I think there should be. There's always someone with more tours :D

• Options

That is also what makes Tauck special. Whether you are contemplating your first tour or your hundredth, you will be treated like royalty.

• Options

I completely forgot to ask Tauck about the "sold out", "not available" messages when I called them earlier to book another trip. Sorry.