Silly question but new to Tauck - sneakers OK?

Hi! I am taking my first Tauck trip next month (Rendezvous on the Seine) and I'm wondering about a particular note on the "dress code". I think I saw something that said 'no sneakers', is this meant just for on board the riverboat for meals, etc., or am I not to wear sneakers as my walking shoes for walking tours, etc. either? I do have non-sneaker walking shoes but I've got some super comfy nice white sneaks that would just feel better. Are these a non-no?

Comments

• I would not wear them to dinner either on the boat or an excursion. Everywhere/time else is fine. Except the shower. Unless u got them stained.

• As wildcat says, basically dinner in the Compass dining room or if there is an off ship dinner at a nice place like a palace or chateau. Otherwise, enjoy your sneakers. It's what I typically wear during the day for touring then happily change to something else in the evening if for no other reason that to give my feet a change.

• Might make an exception for mil's fancy sneakers (I think it was mil).

• Of course you can wear sneakers or tennis shoes while our and about during the day. As mentioned, I wouldn’t wear them at dinner in the Compass Room or at an very nice restaurant. You don’t want go have defeated feet on your vacation. I usually bring two pairs of tennis shoes, a pair of loafers and a pair of ballet flats and maybe sandals depending on the location.

• Well ballet flats would not look good on me, LOL.
    Just curious how is it you see people on many shows on stage etc wearing suits and sneakers? It probably is just me, but when I grew up a blue or black suit required black shoes, now I see brown shoes worn.
    Maybe time has passed me by?

• edited May 2022

Sneakers are fine for touring. I rarely wear them myself apart from exercise but I have other comfortable flat shoes for touring. Yes, sneakers are not acceptable for the restaurant and yes, all the young folks wear brown shoes when I feel they should black. Most awful of all, my hubby thinks he is Ryan Seacrest and doesn’t wear socks with dress shoes or boat type leather shoes these days

• Of course these days you can buy "Sneakers" in all black and the don't even look like sneakers so I guess they may be for a dual purpose use.

• Usually I pack a sandal or squishy loafer to have a change and for a special evening, say in Paris, and walk all day in sneakers. But honestly, the real rule is to have happy feet. So if you like sneakers go for it. No one looks at your feet anyhow, and by day 3, barely notice what you're wearing, especially if you're wearing a smile.

• milmil
    edited May 2022

MarketArt Hi.
    Yes, it is Me! with the Loubis, I'm looking for new ones... :)

jtallmadge Welcome.
    Yes, you can wear sneakers. and if you get swollen feet.. wear them for dinner if you like.-
    Have a great one.

• edited May 2022

There are athletic sneakers - and then the are fashion sneakers! I would think the traditional sneaker (a/k/a gym shoe) with laces and day-glo colors are best for daytime. But I wear slip on sneakers (no laces) that are often in muted colors or just black that are suitable for day or night. I try to limit myself to 3-4 pairs of slip on sneakers/flat/sandals. I wear whatever doesn’t hurt!!

• My husband has a pair of dark brown leather Keen 'sneakers' that he wears in town and in the Compass Rose - they look fine and not like sneakers at all. He only takes one pair of shoes as they add weight and buik to luggage.

• Sneakers can certainly cover a broad range of footwear these days. We just finished watching Madame Volpe on Acorn. Former MI6 agent "retires" to Italy. Emilia Fox plays the lead with a very stylish wardrobe including a pair fashion forward white sneakers.

• milmil
    edited May 2022

jtallmadge my again.
    The last 5-6 years I've been wearing the sketchers GoWalk shoes- they are perfect for travelling, super light and very comfortable-

I used them at the hotels during leisure time and for any in tour dinners iif it's not at any fancy rest.
    I have a black pair for night time and blue like the picture for day time .
    within the Go Walk collection, there is different designs and colors , price is good too $69.99-$75.00 depending on the model.

• edited May 2022

mil, me once more. If you took your Sketchers as in the picture and got a real good FAT black felt marker you can make the white soles on the side black, BINGO instant evening wear (Men)! Those are exactly the ones I have too.

I took some dance lessons years ago and the instructor told us don't worry about your footwork nobody looks below the waist.

• mil, are those the Arch Fit version? I haven't tried those. Had some Go Walks several years ago but not enough arch support. I have a pair of Abeo sneakers that are kind of lace up and slipons combined. Sadly they don't make the same model now. I'm currently saving them for the next tour and wearing others.

• I love the Abeos; fabulous arch support. I have two pair - one black, one gray. Aren’t they from the Walking Company? I can’t remember; it’s been a couple of years that I’ve done serious shopping. That proves that I don’t need anything. I think I have the style called Petra. They also come with insoles personalized for your feet. You pick the insoles that are best for your feet. I’m wearing a pair now.

• Talk about shoes takes me right back to childhood when my father always used to say to make sure your shoes always have a good shine on them, especially when you go for a job interview because the interviewer always looks at your feet. This is the same era when we were told never to type your letter for a job interview, handwrite it because your penmanship shows your personality, it all sounds so silly now.

• Ourtravels, yes Abeo is Walking Company and I think only them. Sadly my local.store can only carry their insoles.

• Claudia Sails, another brand I enjoy are Mephistos (sp). Their black tennis shoes barely look like tennis shoes plus I like the customer service from their salespeople.

• Claudia Sails Hi.
    regarding the Arch support, I was having problems at the beginning with hardly any arch , but I have noticed the last 2 years they have improved and now they do have a better arch design, but not sure if enough for you.
    I would try them to see if they would work for u.- I'm not sure if they are called the " Arch Fit version" but they are super comfortable and light weight.

OurTravels34 Hi.
    Mephistos are also great as long as you buy the ones made in" Portugal". They started to produce them somewhere here in US and the quality is very poor- and the design has also change.. I get sore feet after several hours.
    I looked the Abeos , they are a little to heavy for me. thanks for the info.

• The flagger cracks me up. So no discussion of shoes allowed? The Rick Steves forum has a whole category of threads specifically on Best Walking Shoes for Travel. Like it or not, but hurting feet (and knees and backs) influence our enjoyment of a tour.

But hey flagger, keep wasting your time. One of these days we may all figure out who you are. Good luck keeping your posts from being 5 flagged off the list.

• edited May 2022

Can someone explain to the flagger that comfortable shoes are a very important part of travel! In fact, we have been on several tours where some people had no shoes with them that were suitable for the tour. My favorite two examples are the woman, delightful as she was that had nothing suitable for the gorilla trek, the tour bus had to drive to a mall to drop her off to buy shoes on our way into Nairobi and the driver had to go back for her after a long day. The other, an adult family who only took flip flops to Galapagos when we went to an island that was all jagged volcanic lava, the TD warned them to no avail., slowed us all down
    So yes, shoe questions are travel questions

• Vacation, not a prom. Be comfortable and wear your sneakers!

• No British, we can't explain it to the flagger. If we could we would have managed to get them to understand the difference between Spam and "this violates my personal set of forum rules which I'm unwilling to share with anyone".

• edited May 2022

My husband has worn the same pair of Mephisto shoes for years. The soles have been replaced at least three times. He keeps them polished and looking new. The problem is finding a good shoe repair shop these days.

I do not like the look of clunky, white sneakers on me. I have long, narrow feet and shoes have always been a problem for me, I have had some luck with sketchers, especially if I can find the ones that do not have the stark white soles. I have some very comfortable ankle boots with side zippers that are quite nice for walking about. I save the fancier ones for evening attire. Some ballerina slips are also used for the evening.

• My favorite is Arcopedico.  They are stylish and come in a lot of different colors.

• Thanks for the tip about Acropedico! I looked at their website and like the Luana, especially because of the ankle support.

• edited May 2022

If you remember Pig-Pen from Peanuts...I almost never wear anything white. I usually travel with just one pair of shoes (maybe add foldable black flats), so luckily sneakers are not for me; I traveled in J-41s, long gone, for years (I still have a pair or two, though not in shape for travel); I like the Spanish company Camper. I don't know Abeo; their sandals look nice...slip-ons often slip off me...though hope their ofd extra insurance policy doesn't catch on.

This thread reminded me of a walking tour in France: we were headed to a chapel on a hilltop and our less-than-responsible TD (not Tauck, obviously) had no idea we would be hiking on pure ice. Only a few finished the climb and I remember we were one long human snake going down, holding on to each other for dear life. Was it a bonding exercise in disguise? One gentleman, in the clothing business, was in his best slippery leather-bottomed dress shoes. I know many reported the incident; always wondered whether she kept her job.