Options

Tauck Air Dept - lessons learned

2»

Comments

• Options

I usually use United and their Alliance. I works well for me since my closest airport is one of their hubs (EWR). Plus I amass lots of United points with my credit cards and when I need/want to cancel flights, points are promptly refunded into my account. I have on occasion used Amex points to book flights with non- United airlines but when I needed to cancel due to Covid, I could only receive a voucher that has limited appeal and a limited time frame. Luckily, the flight was changed by >5 hours so Amex issued a refund (money, not points?

• Options
    edited August 2022

Yes, we have had Amex give money back instead of points.

• Options

Smiling Sam… thanks for that advice I was not researching that way. I see now I can leave from Newark on Air Canada and go many places with the stop over in Canada. Will be worth it just to use the vouchers although it will take a bit longer to get there. Thanks.

• Options

TEF - Here's another tip: The individual carriers don't list all the flight options of their partners when you do a search. If you do a search on google flights, you will find many more options (and ways to filter your search). Then, once you find what you want, google flights will list booking options that take you directly to the carrier's web site and insert the flights you selected.

• Options

BKMD… thanks for the tip..

• Options

Many years ago we took an Air Canada flight (for 4) from Toronto to Buenos Aires to go on an Antarctic cruise, even though we live in NY. Saved over $3000 - enough to add a New Years Eve side trip to Iguazu Falls! Sometimes you need to think outside the box!

I probably wouldn't do this in winter again - almost missed the flight to Argentina due to bad weather...🙄

• Options

Great discussion, folks. Just booked our Christmas market flights with our travel agent yesterday before reading this. But here's a question for you all: Do you ever buy the insurance for flights? I always do for our trip, that's a given (had a heart attack followed by triple bypass surgery a month before a Tauck cruise). Never have for flights though. Any comments? I'm all ears. Thanks

• Options

The Tauck insurance included flights even if you book your own. I've only ever done insurance that includes the tour, air and medical.

• Options

Yes, the Tauck insurance includes flights!

• Options
    edited August 2022

For that reason we never buy flt ins.

• Options
    edited August 2022

I have only because we booked air ourselves for a trip. It really doesn’t cost that much going through the specific airline website. I think for a tour from the west coast to the east coast it was a few hundred dollars for two people. When I took our that insurance, I could get a refund if I needed. That was why I made thst decision.

• Options

We get our trip insurance thru USAA, our flights are included.