Egypt & Jordan I'm ready!

milmil
edited August 2021 in Egypt & Jordan

I'm a month away from departure....( departing earlier ) excitement is starting to built.... I'm almost totally pack, have called the banks, have my health declaration forms all done..., have copies of passport, CDC Covid cards ( YES! fully vaccinated since Jan. ) , credit cards , itinerary , went to bank to get money for tips and re-conformed all my Spa treatments , camera is ready and I also called ATT to install my day pass , checked the plane seating situation.. still lots of empty seats, Thanks God, I already bought a box of masks & gloves (for the airports) etc...
My work is already in panic mood because I'll be gone for a month.. Lololo!! and all my friends keep asking about my destination.. which, I never reveal until my first live story Instagram-Facebook ( only Tauck & fmly knows ) . Uff! , I think I'm done...
So.. who is coming with me on the Sept. 26 tour to Jordan & Egypt : Petra to the Pyramids?
Would love to hear from you. :)))

P.S don't be afraid...I'm not as intense as I may come out here. :)) Once I get my camera.... I'm on my own.

Comments

• We leave for Switzerland in a week and you're way ahead of me - at least with packing.

Not to rain on the parade, but empty seats may not mean no travelers - just ones without seat assignments.

Best of luck on your tour.

• mil
    11:51AM edited 12:02PM in Egypt & Jordan
    P.S don't be afraid...I'm not as intense as I may come out here. :)) Once I get my camera.... I'm on my own.

Mil you are not intense, but you might be just a bit OCD, like someone else here on the forums! Who might that be? :D

• Have a safe and fun trip too, Claudia.
    I'm so ready for this trip... since 2020. cannot wait... To be honest a little scare of the unknown... but, I count on Tauck to keep us as safe as possible and hope we do get to go!
    You're right the seating could be non assigned once.... I'll cross my fingers.

• AlanS, I think I know..... :)))) but ,I think there is more then 1.
    We love you all :)

• milI'll be with you in spirit and looking forward to your periodic check-in's and trip report.

• Mil—wishing you safe travels and much adventure!! We are all in this together!!

• Yes my dear Nancy! we are all waiting to finally go and keep are dreams alive.
    I' going to tried uploading pictures as we go.... just like I do on Instagram & FB. it's just that to load them here takes more work then just
    direct from my phone.... but I'll try. .
    Keep in touch. :)

• Mil, We leave this Friday for the Jordan/Petra/Egypt tour. We are excited about going except for the required PCR test. Not being able to get a confirmation of the results before departure is unnerving. There is no place near us that does the PCR with a lab on site so they get sent out. Fingers crossed we get the results back quickly.

• loves2travel2I'm so EXCITED for you! Sending positive vibes that all will be in order for the PCR test results. Please check in if you can. I know this will be a Great trip... B)

• Hi loves2travel2
    I'm so happy to hear you're already on your way... that is Amazing news.
    Yes, the PCR deal is nerve racking and the paper work it's endless... but all worth it. Now just to mentioned... the 2nd PCR test that was done at arrival to Jordan inside the Queen Alia airport is no longer necessary for full vaccinated travelers... not sure if you know this.. so once you get on the plane, relax and have a Cosmo ( or several) on our name... "the Tauck Forum rascals ".. that by the way... we are going to wait for you to come back with tons of questions... :)
    Keep notes of airport tips , how crowed are the sites, if the volume of tourist is lesser and also how they arranged the tour health-sanitizing-social distance procedures.... Please.
    Have a fun, amazing and unforgettable trip! I'm so excited for you .
    Best wishes!!!
    XOXOXOXO
    Mil.

• loves2travel2
    7:36AM
    We leave this Friday for the Jordan/Petra/Egypt tour. . . . .

Have a great trip!!

I realize the GEM won't be open for you, however, I continually look for announcements about the opening and to also to see if there is anything else new besides the recent relocation of the Solar Boat. Unfortunately, the only thing I found today was an article about a lecture Zahi Hawass he has taken on the road to many cities around the world, most recently in LA. Hawass discussed in detail the new archaeological discoveries in the Saqqara, next to the Pyramid of Teti. Findings have included a 5-meter-long papyrus, a bronze axe belonging to an army soldier, as well as some toys, boats, wooden masks, a painting and coffins from the New Kingdom.

Note: You probably won't be permitted near the digs (who knows) and the places you see on your tour may differ, but ChicagoTravelers' group visited/entered the Pyramid of Teti, pre-COVID, during her Jan 2020 Jewels of the Nile tour! You can read about it and her posts on the forum at this link: https://forums.tauck.com/discussion/comment/53304#Comment_53304

Hawass went on to speak about the Lost Golden City of Aten in Luxor (Thebes.) He stated that work has begun in the area to search for the mortuary temple of King Tutankhamun, because the Temples of Horemheb and Ay were previously found there. He added that this city is the largest administrative and industrial settlement in the Egyptian Capital of Thebes on the western bank of the Nile.

Note: You go right by this area during the bus ride to the Valley of Queens/Nefartari's tomb and the photo op at Hatshepsut's colonnaded mortuary temple in Deir el Bahari .

Hopefully, your TD will point out these areas and you will be able to catch a glimpse as you drive by!

• Mil Safe Travels as you begin your journey. Please post and share your experiences when you can. Cheers--Robin

• edited September 2021

She should be arriving in Amman in about 6 hours so I don't expect we'll hear from her until sometime tomorrow morning (our time)
    oops, got my days mixed up- Mil should be well into her day of rest and recovery (and possible mud bath?) at the Kempinski Hotel :D

• I realize this was a year ago but I'm packed and ready to go for Oct. 21 Jordon and Egypt. I contacted Kempinski about spa treatments but have not heard back. What was your favorite??? Also how many "nice " outfits did you pack? Would love to know if anyone else is I'm my group.

• milmil
    edited October 2022

Hi Mary
    I booked my Spa Treatment diret on their web-site

https://www.kempinski.com/en/dead-sea/hotel-ishtar/luxury-spa/
    https://kempinski-dev.s3.amazonaws.com/34409516/ishtar-spa-by-resense-treatments-menu-updated.pdf

I did 90 min. Arabian Massage with TOK- she is amazing! tiny old lady, but she is Dynamite!

Make sure you go to the REHAN LEBANESE CUISINE, it is the Best!!!

Menu:
    https://www.kempinski.com/en/dead-sea/hotel-ishtar/dining/rehan-lebanese-cuisine/

The Dessert to eat is the Osmaliyeh, It is AMAZING!!
    Another nice rest. is the Italian by the infinity pool Ashur Pizza & Grill .- the one by the round pool upstairs is disgusting. (Akkad pool)
    only good for burgers or sandwich.

I dressed at night for the rest. & around the hotel cocktail style- also during the tour for the boat dinners and at the Old Cataract Hotel , the tour during the day it's very casual- it is hot and dusty in some cities- Capri for daytime is good.- no need to cover head to toe-no Hijab scarfs- only at the Mosque in Cairo.

Tennis shoes a most! terraine can be difficult in some areas like Valley of the Q&K- Petra etc..

Jordan and Egypt are more liberal than other Arabic countries- Jordan is very Westernized, people are very friendly, nice and caring.
    Egypt is nice too and safe around tourist areas.

I personally did not care for the Mena house - hotel is beautiful but rooms are not a 5star.
    If you have a chance stop by the antique shop and say Hi to Marah- she is super nice and a good friend now, she also has great jewelry pieces and at good prices-

Ok! hope this helps Mary, if you have any other question, send me a PM.
    Have a great weekend.

Fav. hotels : kempimski Dead Sea & The Old Cataract Aswan. (you will LOVE! the rooms)

• OSMALIYEH DESSET YUMMM

• edited October 2022

Mary, I know I repeat myself: I see no reason ever to pack more than one dressy outfit for any tour...unless you're scheduled on the runway in Milan. Scarves and jewelry can vary your look and take up a lot less space.

• Mil-Thanks for the additional suggestions about the restaurants at the Kempinski. We will definitely try that dessert.

Mary- My husband and I are also on that trip! We look forward to meeting you! I booked my spa treatment by emailing them. It took a couple days to hear back. I was able to book with TOK as Mil suggested. They were very nice and accommodating.

• milmil
    edited October 2022

Mimitravels Hi

Glad to hear you are doing this tour, you are in for a treat, it is incredible.
    TOK is excellent!! tiny but powerful....
    Jordan is super safe.. if you do a pre-tour day , do visit Amman, The Citadel is great and the amphitheater excellent. The hotel will get you a private guide w/car- contact them in advance.

Mimitravels if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. :)

Mary Hello.. hey regarding the outfits I'm just giving you my opinion, (I'm not a fashionista :) ..
    I did wear a lot of Capris during day time and clean up for night time- I wear some Linen pants & took 2 dresses with me.
    The Old Cataract Hotel is a high-end hotel and a lot of Their clientele are wealthy people.. ( not sure about others.. but I do like to look nice for me and as I travel)
    The Kempinski is high-end too, but it is a beach hotel, so it is a little more relax. still Europeans and Middle eastern people do like to dress up for dinner time. The Kemp. hostess a lot of weddings, so you will see a lot of ladies wearing fancy dresses . The most beautiful women I have seen was there at The Kemp.- 4 days wedding celebrations, Amazing.

Hope this helps.

• milmil
    edited October 2022

lovely , the upside down picture... OMG! not me. :)
    That was a picture from the main lobby rooftop of the wedding celebration... 1st day- total of 4 days celebration,, same location different decoration every day. AMAZING

• Has anyone done this trip recently in 2022?

• yes! about 4+ tours have come back already.

• You can tell Mil did it looking at the pictures posted above, a high percentage are oriented incorrectly for the viewer. 😂😂😂

• hey Smiling Sam... I'm getting better.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file