Egypt:Jewels of the Nile - October 6th tour play by play

12346»

Comments

• Fran loves travel - Just an FYI, every Tauck person on the Cairo to Luxor flight that had a rolling carryon had to check them because all the overhead space was full. In addition, Tauck handles all checked luggage. As such, I don’t see the allure of doing only carryon, ensuring you have to do laundry midtour.

I know lots of people are advocates of carry on only, but doing laundry during a tour doesn’t seem like a vacation - worrying about when and where you can get laundry done, the price, etc. I much prefer to pack enough for the whole trip and check a bag.

• On our trip, we didn't have to check rolling carryons. Given my just-purchased carryon was the only clothes I had, they would have gotten a... You can have this when you pry it from my cold dead hands :)

• All of our Ponant trips have been with Tauck, and we have also achieved ‘Admirals’ status. On some trips they also put some money in your onboard account. We are currently looking at the Iceland trip. Tauck only goes there in the summer time, but I’ve been there a number of times during other seasons and the place can be pretty miserable in bad weather.

• BKMD - on our trip Tauck’s seats were at the back of the plane. By the time we boarded a large tour group from Peru had boarded and I think every single member of that tour had a rolling carry on. They consumed all of the overhead bin space.

• edited November 2022

As Fran said Tauck tries to avoid the crowds. Sometimes arriving just a half hour early can make a big difference. Several years ago, people complained that the Petra day started late so that they arrived at the Treasury at the same time the masses were arriving by bus and van from Amman. Tauck responded by departing the hotel and starting the walking tour earlier. Tauck also tries to get you to Egyptian sites in Kom Ombo, Edfu, Karnak/Luxor, Giza, etc. before the crowds. In fact we were usually leaving as the bus tours were arriving. Timing was slightly different at Abu Simbel. We arrived mid to late morning as the first waves of tourists were leaving. We almost had the site to ourselves! The only exception, due to the day's schedule was at Philea, which was relatively crowded.

• AlanS - Our Kom Ombo experience was different. We arrived with the masses, had to wait for the TD to get tickets, and had to wait to see certain parts of the temple for other groups to depart. Whereas when we were at Philae there weren’t that many other people. At the Temple of Horus we arrived as the hordes that use the horse and buggies to/from the temple were leaving, so our entry was a bit of a mad house, but we didn’t have hordes inside the temple as we were viewing it. Obviously after hours viewing at the Valley of the Kings was great.

Tauck does their best. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don’t.

• Smiling Sam
    Tauck does their best. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don’t.

Maybe they lost some of their experienced trip planners due to the Covid shutdown.

If Egypt: Jewels of the Nile was my first tour with Tuack, there probably wouldn't be a second.

• If Egypt: Jewels of the Nile was my first tour with Tuack, there probably wouldn't be a second.

BKMD...I'm glad this wasn't your first Tauck tour. So disappointing the tour had so many hiccups. My tour occurred when practically no one was traveling; therefore, we didn't experience any of the crowds, planes or feluccas challenges some of you guys faced.

• Smiling Sam and Alan S. thx so much for great sunset pics. fired up - leave Knoxville tomorrow !!!!

• edited November 2022

Thank you all for the pictures and comments. I’m leaving on this tour next week! This has been most helpful. If anyone has additional advice, would love to hear it. (Will be my 15th Tauck trip, first to Egypt, solo traveler)

• Sitting the St Regis restaurant having breakfast on the last full day. I reread the comments which were so helpful before I left. Egypt was a lifelong dream destination. I’m so glad I did it. Yes the early departures for flights is grueling but we missed the crowds everywhere but the old museum in Cairo (lots of kids on school trips). I’d eliminate the visit to the monastery - boring and lots of uneven ground and stairs! The view of the the pyramids from Mena house!!! The Old Cataract Hotel was unbelievable. You expect to see Hercule Poroit! Take the hotel tour. 1902 was beautiful but the food so-so. Guys- they will give you a jacket to meet their dress code so no need to pack one. Zahra was very nice but not much to do during afternoon sailings. Staff everywhere was first rate. The vendors are everywhere but just keep walking! We split our group for the felucca ride (12 each boat) so quite pleasant! Weather was beautiful-not too hot! Be happy to answer any questions. Just enjoy.

• HappyRetiree - thank you for your thoughts. We are signed up to do this tour
    November 19, 2023.
    Always worried about how to dress. On this trip especially worried about best shoes to wear. ANY and ALL advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks again.

• Sorry, my mistake. We doing the Jordan and Egypt trip not jewels of the Nile.

• Wear very comfortable walking shoes that you don’t mind getting dusty. For me it was a pair of Brooks. Bring a light sweater for the morning and a really good hat. Safari type clothing is perfect. Weather in November was very pleasant when I was there last year right after Thanksgiving. Petra will be colder. Pack a sweater and gloves to start the morning out.

• HappyRetiree - We are going on this trip next October 29 to November 7. We are really looking forward to it and thank you for your comments and insights.

• Thank you franlovestravel and everyone else for all your advice. We are seasoned travelers and have even lived in Europe but this is not quite what we are used to and appreciate anything we can learn about how to prepare and what to expect on this tour.
    Safe travels to everyone.

• HappyRetiree - We split our group for the felucca ride (12 each boat) so quite pleasant! Weather was beautiful-not
    too hot! Be happy to answer any questions.

Maybe Tauck acted on my comment card because our felucca ride in October with 25 people in one boat wasn't a fun experience.

• edited December 2022

Smiling Sam
    Maybe Tauck acted on my comment card because our felucca ride in October with 25 people in one boat wasn't a fun experience.

You mean a felucca isn't an Egyptian Volkswagen?

• One thing I can’t remember anyone mentioning is money/shopping. This was my experience- vendors can be aggressive but a “no thank you” and walking on solves it; they will all take US dollars even though officially they can’t; many will show you something and say “$1”- that is $1 to look at their goods! The gift shop in the St Regis will do a cartouche pendant with your name in hieroglyphics overnight. Based on comparison and other travelers comments, the price was fair. He throws in a chain and inlaid box. Just fyi.

• Taking this tour in January. Wondering if you need to hire a driver to go shopping in the Khan Al- Khalil? Is that the best market to go to? Suggestions welcome. Thx.

• MotherOfPoodles - Wondering if you need to hire a driver to go shopping in the Khan Al- Khalil?

There is time provided in itinerary to shop at Khan Al-Khallil. You walk through it, have lunch at a restaurant there, and then after lunch there is time for shopping before you return to the hotel. At least that is how it was in October.

No idea if it is the best market to go to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file