Traveler's Stomach in Africa

edited September 2022 in Kenya & Tanzania

Does anyone have thoughts on what the major causes are for the stomach issues that are frequently reported on Africa trips? Don't eat uncooked vegetables or fruits, don't drink the water, don't even open your mouth in the shower, don't drink anything with ice. Those of you who have been recently- do you have any other thoughts abt things travelers might be doing that sets themselves up to get it? Unfortunately, one of us has suffered with bacterial problems even at home. Our travel doctor gave us antibiotics to carry with us, just in case it were to become severe.

Comments

• Most buffets have gorgeous displays of fresh fruits & vegetables, avoid them, walk past. People on out trip who got sick “forgot” & had fresh fruit or veggie. Put a small towel over the faucet in your bathroom so you don’t forget & drink the water.

• I think there are a number of possibilities. First, some people just have trouble with changes in the kinds of food they are eating, and are sensitive that way, or the mix of food changes as they avoid uncooked fruit and vegetables, and so they are out of sort. I double my probiotic regimen in consideration of this. One factor I think is that most meals, certainly on K & T, is at a buffet where everyone is touching the same serving pieces. If one person is not well, some bugs are easily transmissible. A few places provided disposable gloves, but most not. Realistically how many folks use anti-bacterial or wash their hands after the service line and before eating? Gastrointestinal issues are also an element of Covid for many people. And so in the current environment, that may be the root cause of stomach trouble. Indeed on my recent K & T 10 out of 24 people tested positive upon returning home, so Covid can't be dismissed as a possibility. Others may have been positive but asymptomatic and never knew, tested negative on a not-so-accurate antigen test or one given too soon, or had symptoms so mild they could be passed off as typical travel stuff (like stomach issues). I think your list of precautions is a good one. One thing I would add is that any place we were unsure whether or not the water was treated (regardless of what the bottle said), we went with soft drinks brought to us in a can or bottle. Enjoy your upcoming trip - there is so much to look forward to and enjoy.

• Fruits are fine if offered un-peeled.

• edited September 2022

Unpeeled fruit is fine. Hot cooked food is fine. Salads are supposed to be washed in filtered water. I suspect chefs and food servers are better trained than in the US because to work in a hotel is very prestigious. We ate salads. I particularly love the soups they serve in Africa.
    Some people blame anti malarial drugs, but if you take them in the evening in the middle of the meal or with a milky drink, it should be fine. Most probiotics are not regulated by the FDA and like vitamins, just as I heard Dr Jen Ashton say recently just make expensive pee.
    Sometimes an upset stomach can just be the change in food, plus your body out of wack because of jet lag. We used to take antibiotics with us just in case. Hand wash, hand wash, hand wash and keep your hands away from your face are golden rules.

• Tauck has been very clear that food offered at Tauck hotels is safe. They apparently have their own water filtration systems, and we were told that ice at Tauck-sponsored meals is safe. Most fruit offered at buffets were those that could be peeled or have thick rinds. Bananas are plentiful. Buffets had plenty of cooked vegetables. That being said, at least 4-6 of 24 people on our recent K/T had digestive issues (including me). Sometimes just the anxiety/stress of travel can be a causative factor. Imodium helped as well as the antibiotic azithromycin (500mg per day for 3 days). Also, as a precaution I’d suggest carrying a supply of electrolyte packets (such as Propel).

• PeptoBismol 2 tablets 4 rimes daily for prevention of travelers diarrhea. It was worked for us and our family in Africa, including Egypt and Morocco, Mexico, India and the Far East. From CDC: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2020/preparing-international-travelers/travelers-diarrhea

• edited September 2022

We were cautioned by our TD (the legendary Seth) not to take anything that only treats or hides the symptoms because it won't cure the underlying condition if it is parasitic.

• edited September 2022

I had to go to a pharmacy in Cuzco Peru to get something for “Traveler’s Stomach”. It was quite amusing trying to describe my symptoms to the pharmacist that only spoke Spanish. If you have to see a pharmacist I hope they can speak English. Good luck.

• Make sure you use bottled water to brush your teeth and rinse your toothbrush.

• When I have traveled to Africa the first thing I do is to put a sock over the bathroom faucet to remind me to not brush my teeth with water from the faucet. Many food borne illness in developing countries can be due to Hepatitis A so getting vaccinated for it before travel is wise. It is a good idea to also bring some antibiotics like Cipro to combat travelers diarrhea. A 3 day supply usually works wonders. All in all, many African countries are getting better about using resort grown produce and washing it with filtered water. Starting on a high quality probiotic before travel and taking it daily can help.

• milmil
    edited January 2023

4 trips to Africa... no stomach issues!
    I only used bottled water, no street food- hotel fruits & vegetables were okay too.... and the Alcohol consumption was normal... I was there to see the animals and places, not to get drunk :)
    In Cape Town, the water is safe.
    I, normally do take 1 Imodium on the first day... even if I don't have any problem. I did same in India, no Delhi Belly either. It may just be a coincidence, but I haven't got sick.

Caution! due to meds interaction and if you have any medical problems... I would recommend asking your Dr. first.
    I'm not a Dr.- just sharing what has worked for me. :)

• It does not need to be Africa. Travel anywhere can upset your system. Always bring Imodium to cover the bases. We have ocassionaly had some problems in a number of places. Our four trips to Africa produced no different circumstances. We did not drink the water or brush our teeth with it. But we ate everything in the Tauck hotels and camps. As said, some of the lodgings grow their own vegetables.

• I,normally do take 1 Imodium on the first day.. even if I don't have any problem, same the 2 and 3rd day.. I did same in India, no Delhi Belly either.

mil Please share your reasoning of taking Imodium during the first few days of travel. I always carry it with me; however, I've never thought of taking a pill as a precaution.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file