Options

Australia and New Zealand

edited March 2023 in General

As some of you know my flight from Dallas to Melbourne was canceled the night before I was to leave and I ended up with 4 flights instead of 2, however all the flights were on time and the luggage arrived with me. :)
I must say that one of the highlights of this trip were the many private charters we took, got really spoiled by having the bus take us to the airplane and the bus waiting when we landed, once we had to go through the terminal, what a let down :D:D
There were 22 people in our group and our TD Mary Pierik was wonderful.
The flies were present in the rain forest, Uluru and other places but Tauck provides netting which prevents them from being in your face.
There are laundry facilities at all the hotels but Silky Oaks had washers and dryers available free of charge and I took advantage and did my laundry there.

All the hotels were nice and the food was good, but rooms in the Sofitel in Queenstown were dark which made it difficult to read at night.
The day of my arrival we went for a walk (planned this trip with another solo lady that I met in a prior trip, we each have our own room but it's nice having someone to pal with) , took a tram for a few blocks and went back to walking alongside the river Yarra, lots of eateries, stopped by one called Soho for some dinner and returned to the Langham Hotel.

Day 1 - We took a private tour to the Great Ocean Road, the scenery is magnificent, started at 6 AM as that was the day of the Welcome Dinner, we stopped along the way for cockatoos and for a snack at an out of the way food place where we had the most delicious calamari I've ever had, got to see 2 koalas in tree nearby, continued to a rain forest in Great Otway Park and finally reached the 12 Apostles of which there's only 7 left made of limerock formations that broke away from the cliffs and stand alone in the ocean, really breathtaking.
WE also visited Loch Ard Gorge where ships used to shipwreck and then to an off the road site where we climbed the cliffs for a fantastic view of the Southern Ocean. Returned to the hotel for our reception and welcome dinner.

The Apostles during the Great Ocean Road trip

Day 2 - Started the day by taking a walking tour of Melbourne, visiting shopping and food court areas, continued the tour by bus stopping at St. Patrick's Cathedral which we could not visit due to Mass being said. After the bus tour we went on our own to the Shrine of Remembrance that honors Australian and New Zealand soldiers that fought in WWI and WWII beautiful building and very moving, from there we went to the National Gallery International Victoria to see an Alexander McQueen exhibit who was a very talented designer, the exhibit was wonderful, we had dinner at an outdoor café and completed the day with a glass of wine at the hotel.

Melbourne at night

Day 3 - We flew to Uluru (Ayer's Rock) this morning, (BTW the earliest luggage pick up we had was at 6:00 AM one day). Uluru (Ayer's Rock) is a massive sandstone monolith in the heart of the Northern Territory and is sacred to Indigenous Australians and it's thought to have started forming 550 million years ago. From the plane we went to the Anangu Cultural Center, very informative and after to our hotel Sails in the Desert for lunch. In the evening we went to visit Uluru to enjoy the change of colors of the rock as the sun went down with wine, beer and some canapes which were smocked kangaroo and something else I don't remember, all I had was the wine and some cheese and crackers.
There was an option upon the return to the hotel for an artistic light display by Uluru which was not included and it sounded good except they were sold out.

Uluru a/k/a Ayer's Rock

Day 4 - We went on a walking tour of the "Rock" with a tour guide that had many stories about the aborigines that lived in that area, very interesting and finished the tour at Mutijulu waterhole, there were no animals around. From there we went to the airport for our private charter flight to Cairns. Upon arrival we went to Sky Rail where we took a gondola over the Sky Rail Rainforest, stopping a few times to walk around the forest with a Sky Rail Ranger, there were many beautiful sights and it was the only day we had rain. We were supposed to go from there to Silky Oaks Lodge but due to the rain the bridge was flooded and we ended up spending the night in the Sheraton. Kudus to our TD Mary that made all the arrangements. Dinner at the Sheraton was okay considering they had to prepare for 23 more people within a few hours notice.

Barron Falls in the Skyrail Rainforest

Day 5 - Today was all about the Great Barrier Reef. We took a catamaran to the platform from which some of the group snorkeled. I took the submersible submarine twice which provided me with great views even though the water appeared murky and also walked through an under water observatory, we had lunch aboard and it was really a fantastic day. Luckily the bridge was cleared and we were able to to to Silky Oaks Lodge that afternoon which was my favorite hotel. We went to a 4 course dinner with wine pairings and a scrimption chocolate mouse with 2 very nice couples. All wine and beer are included at Silky Oaks including items in the minibar. Between 5 and 6 the bar offers a different gin cocktail every day.

Great Barrier Reef

Day 6 - This was a free day, no tours scheduled, after breakfast I did my laundry and went for a walk around the property and the chef's garden, we took the hotel shuttle to Port Douglas a small town half an hour away from the hotel and walked around the marina and the small town, lots of small shops and eateries, that night we had a group dinner with entertainment, a guitar player who sang Australian songs and a version of Waltzing Matilda I'd never heard before, lots of fun.

Day 7 - Departed the hotel for Hartley's Crocodile Adventure where we first went to see wallabies, koalas and a wombat, one of the ranges held a baby crocodile and another a python. We went on a boat ride where we saw crocodiles in their natural habitat and after attended a crocodile show, we had a family style lunch after which we rode to the airport for our flight to Sydney arriving at the Intercontinental Hotel in time for dinner.

Hartley's Crocodile Adventures

Day 8 - We met in the lobby for our walk to the Opera House ( very close by ) where we had a tour of the place which is amazing after which we boarded our private Captain Cook vessel for our Sydney Harbor Cruise with lunch. From there we took the bus for sightseeing around the city stopping at the Domain Park for a walk and sitting on Mrs. Macquaries chair a sandstone bench hand carved by convicts in 1810 as a view point for the then governors wife. Tonight we had an included dinner at Fish at the Rocks in the Rock's neighborhood with another couple from the tour. Great Food.

Sidney Opera House

Day 9 - We went on a walking tour with an excellent local guide of "The Rocks" where Sydney's history begins, many lovely old buildings always remembering that Australia was a penal colony for the British prisoners'. After the tour we had a light lunch at St. Francis Church and went back through the neighborhood to do a bit of shopping and walk through the park. that evening we had a light dinner by the harbor and attended a performance of La Boheme at Sidney Opera Huose. It was fabulous. Last night in Australia.

I will write about New Zealand tomorrow and will try to post some pictures, I have not uploaded them to the computer yet.

Comments

• Options

Thx for this fabulous review. We’re going on this tour in mid-October, have already booked the Great Ocean Road the day prior to the Tauck tour beginning, and the Penguin Parade the afternoon/evening following the Tauck walking tour of Melbourne. Looking forward to your report of New Zealand!

• Options

What a terrific review...well written and insightful. Makes me want to return! Thank you for sharing your great experiences.

• Options
    edited March 2023

I was surprised to see that you had to book your flight from Australia to New Zealand on Day 10. When we went in 2019, that was provided as part of the tour. The tour did have a slightly different name - "Australia and New Zealand - Eastbound". It was a combined land tour in Australia and a cruise in New Zealand.
    Sounds like you had a good, enjoyable tour. Thanks for the review.

• Options

I had to book my own flight from Sydney to Auckland on the Grand Australia & New Zealand tour in 2018. Tauck told us what flight to book.

• Options

Gladys , great report and I'm glad you did the day tour to the Great Ocean Road, it's so beautiful.
    Also, glad you went to the Opera House, the acoustic it's insane. I saw Hair, it was also incredible.
    Well lady, I'm glad to have you back safe and to know you had a great time, now wait for the next one... :)
    Have a great evening.

• Options

Wonderful review Gladys! The tour is different than when we took it.
    Tauck has never included the flight between Australia and New Zealand. We did not take the combined tour, we did Australia in the Australia winter, adding days beginning and end and then a couple of years later, New Zealand in their summer, adding days beginning and end. The fact that you had to book the flight between the two countries offset the fact we had to fly all the way there twice. I do recall, that when we went to New Zealand, the service in the hotel in Wellington was not very good, then, like a miracle, once the staff realized we were with Tauck, at the start of the tour, the same people were all over us….yes we were now in the Tauck bubble.

• Options
    edited March 2023

Thank you so much for the review! It brought back great memories! We met such wonderful people on this trip that we have stayed in touch with! It was like summer camp ! Ditto - we went in 2017 and had to book our own flights between Australia and New Zealand. We LOVED this trip. It is funny how people are touched by different experiences. My husband and I loved Australia and will certainly go back. It felt like home but without the obvious political strife.

• Options

BTW - best prices anywhere at Hartley’s crocodile adventure on crocodile belts!

• Options

Why would a crocodile need a belt?

• Options

I can feel it - the flagger's blood pressure is up...

• Options

There is always this emoji gif:

• Options

I've posted some pictures, hope you enjoy them, I know some are not in the right direction, one of these days I'll master that.

• Options

Great review Gladys and I loved the photos. Thanks for sharing.

• Options

Stunning photos that beautifully compliment each day's narrative! Thanks again.

• Options

Gladys - Compare your picture of Barren River Falls to my picture below. Clearly I was there in a much drier time.

• Options

Where are your pictures Gladys, did you delete them?

• Options

British - they are interspersed within her original post.

• Options

Sam - there was a lot of rain the day before, only rainy day we had but it paid off.

• Options

British they are in my original post.

• Options

Thank you Gladys. Fantastic photos!!