Sydney Twilight Bridge Climb

Greetings.
Is the Twilight Sydney Bridge climb suitable for a 72 year old woman in fairly decent shape? (No knee/injuries. Fairly strong heart)
Is this a must -do?
Cheers!
Estelle

Comments

• edited May 2023

I would say no, the Bridge climb isn't a must-do.

When I toured Australia/New Zealand (with a different company) they offered a choice of excursions in Sydney. We rejected the Bridge climb option for a Sea Plane ride around Sydney with a lunch mid-excursion at a restaurant on the water in a National Park. I know we made the right choice.

• I did the Twilight Bridge climb. It’s beautiful,especially the night views. But it’s not all cat walks. There are ladders that you need to climb and some stairs. Once you start you can’t turn around and go down.

• itskr how old are you if you don't mind me asking? I understand that you must forge ahead once you've launched.

• I was scared out of my mind doing that. It wasn’t twilight; it was during the day. Never mind the fact that you’re cabled and secured. It was the first incident I realized I had sn issue with extreme heights. The second incident was a zip line where I had to be rescued and had sn honest to goodness panic attack and I started to cuss like a sailor. I have no memory of that.

• It sounds like you are an excellent candidate for paragliding over Mira Flores in Lima or microlight flight over Victoria Falls or the bungee jump off the Zambezi River bridge!! :D:D

• AlanS - this thread is talking about Australia/New Zealand so the bungee jump option would be off the bridge over the Shotover river outside of Queensland, NZ, not the Zambezi River! :D

• edited May 2023

Well then, how about spending the night in a "glass sleeping pod" lashed to the side of a mountain in the Sacred Valley? It is a real "thing!!" https://bajallama.com/blogs/baja-llama/glass-sleeping-pods-in-the-sacred-valley-1?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmZejBhC_ARIsAGhCqnfRr64g6QCmqxqdsOCAwa98-saZyKiDSVwiA3B5C6eatFLOHV8pf58aAvpdEALw_wcB

• edited May 2023

@Stellie. I was 60 when I did it. Most people were younger. But the guide was very patient. Told me told me to take my time I didn’t know about the ladders and they were high. I think there’s 4. I wouldn’t consider it a must do, but I’m glad I did it. The views were amazing

• It is an experience not to be missed if your functional status allows not the age!You are secured with chains around the waist and connected to the railing.Some parts of the climb involves straight up ladder;there is also traffic that wizzes by underneath.As long as you focus and put one step after the other it is worth it when you reach the top part.We did it when it was very windy ;my husband had a severe cold and on medication!Told my kids to watch Dad and it was the best family experience!

• All you guys crack me up. Memories are made from all these wonderful experiences no matter the way in which they are taken. My husband offered up a big fat tip to the person that helped me. As I said, I don’t remember a thing.

• I did the Bridge climb when I was 67. It posed no difficulty at all. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was a great experience I will treasure.

• Thanks Denise. It really Iooks amazing.

• Hi, Stellie! The Sydney Bridge Climb is a bucket list item for some. I was hesitant to do this mainly because I’m afraid of heights. 😬 But friends encouraged us to do it and shared how worthwhile and fun it was for them. We did the twilight climb which I would recommend so you can see the bridge in different lights - sunlight to start, and then moonlight and the sparkling city lights at the top and on the way down. The “beams” were larger than I expected which was good, but as others mentioned, there are some narrow, completely vertical ladders you must climb, but they aren’t that long. If you’re in decent shape, you should have no problem. Despite being afraid of heights, I really enjoyed it and I’m so glad I did it. It was a highlight of our visit to Sydney. An alternative I originally considered was to climb the pylon (there are steps to a lookout - it’s not like the Bridge Climb). But we did not do that so I am not sure how the view compares. However, to us, the Bridge Climb was also about the experience.

• Dear buonviaggio,
    Your description is very thorough.. I too am a bit leary of extreme heights..(going up not down) I like the thought that the beams are large.
    The narrow vertical ladders give me pause but I'm always up for a challenge. The twilight climb would be the one I'd attempt! Onward & Upward as they say!
    Cheers!

• I did this tour last February, don't remember an option for the bridge climb. Am I losing it? :D

• You are not losing it. 😁
    This discussion references independently arranged bridge tours.

• AlanS
    how about spending the night in a "glass sleeping pod" lashed to the side of a mountain in the Sacred Valley?

Do they offer room service?

Back on subject to the Harbour Bridge, I bicycled across and saw the daytime birdge climbers when I went by. Quite a hill getting up to it. And quite a view from the bridge deck, too.

• I prefer this perspective of the bridge vs up on top of the bridge.

• It was certainly not an option when we did the tour some years ago. The itinerary changed from what was published on the website and we thought we would not be able to do it in the time we had free, so we booked tickets for a show at the Sydney Opera house and so glad we did. You get great views on the boat ride in the harbor and elsewhere without doing the bridge climb.

• edited May 2023

I did the bridge climb during the day several years ago, maybe 2014, and it was sensational. It is not physically demanding and I think you could do it. I also did the bungy jumping off Kawaru Bridge in Queenstown. Those two activities were certainly highlights of the tour for me, but honesty the entire trip was so amazing that you really can’t go wrong no matter what you do.

• I agree with Florida Traveler - it’s really not physically demanding. And the views from the top are spectacular. It’s nice to get a perspective from atop the bridge as well as from the water (Tauck took us on a boat ride around Sydney Harbor - also awesome!). It was fun looking at the bridge climbers from the bottom later and thinking, wow, that was me! 😜 I also agree with British about booking a performance at the Sydney Opera House. We did that as well for one of our free evenings - it is such an iconic place to go for a show! Both the Bridge Climb and Opera House show were independent of the Tauck tour - we booked online in advance from home (which I HIGHLY recommend) and we loved both experiences! You will have a tour of the Opera House as part of the Tauck itinerary, but if you choose to see a show, that would be on your own time. Enjoy!! I’m envious….just loved, loved, loved that trip! 🐨 🦘 🐊

• For the thrill seekers that the Bridge Climb doesn't interest, there are other avenues around Sydney to satisfy that itch. Here's a shot from Bondi beach.

• edited May 2023

Dear buonviaggio,
    I love your spirited replies! You have a real zest for life. I will over come my fears and do the twilight climb. It looks fabulous!
    I am the Producing Artistic Director of a theatre company in St. Louis so the OPERA House is a real Priority! Hopefully there will be a legit production on Nov 8 -10 th while we are in Sydney! (I'll check the website)
    If any of you theatre lovers can recommend Locals on this trip that you viewed theatre please I'd love it!
    I have a feeling BRITTISH will.
    Warm regards,
    Stellie

• If you are in good health, not afraid of heights and adventurous, I recommend going for it!
    We did it on our free day in Sydney (2015) with a few others of varying ages in our group. One lady was 75 and she loved it. The views are great!

• We saw South Pacific at the Sydney Opera House, it was the same production as at the Lincoln centra, No mikes, it was great.
    We took the Australia tour separately from the New Zealand tour, adding days before and after the end of each trip, so when we arrived in WELLINGTON, we were able go to the theatre there. Can’t recall the name, but it was in the center and it was good.
    Stellie, we are huge theatre fans and amateur performances.This year because we traveled too much in the Spring, I took a rest from on stage and I went ‘backstage’ and have been helping make costumes and am loving it, I truly think I’ve made a permanent move. I’ve been backstage all morning renewing elastic chinstraps on policemen”s helmets before our next show next week,, Don’t ask! All I know is, we never eat pizza at home and that is what is usually provided for lunch and I shamelessly devour it dripping cheese fat and all!

• Stellie - I receive emails from the Sydney Opera House. Right now the only production in early November is Twelfth Night, which looks like an interesting interpretation. I’m trying to talk the others in my group into it.

• Stellie, will PM you Cjexk right hand corner of his page, click on the envelope.

• We saw a ballet at the Sydney Opera House because no opera was showing, but it was still very good. In Wellington we were able to get tickets behind the orchestra for the symphony once we arrived and that was wonderful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file