Options

Questions about recent experiences on Sicilian Odyssey tour

we are leaving for Sicily Odyssey in a week. Would love to hear about recent experiences on this tour. thanks

Comments

• Options

Sicily is just wonderful. It may still be very hot there.

• Options

Took this trip in May. Wife and i enjoyed it very much. Tour of the herb farm was very nice with a great lunch. In Siracusa the lunch at the Baron's home was wonderful. You will taste one of the best chardonnays made by the Baron. Get out and walk. Especially in Taormina. U will enjoy this trip!

• Options

happytravelers20, please leave a review when you return. Going in three weeks!

• Options
    edited September 2023

We enjoyed this tour very much. This is a low key tour - a lot of historic archeological sites. History is an important component of the Sicilian experience given its important position in the Mediterranean-from ancient history to WWII to natural tragedies. However, the experience is primarily a cultural one. You will see an amalgamation of cultures, given its location and the diverse background of invaders throughout history. We saw a low key, easy lifestyle that was different from the mainland, with economic challenges. There were surprising differences in the food from the mainland.

The hotel in Ragusa was quirky - no 2 rooms were the same! We were in oldest medieval building and had a balcony floor for the bed - scantly furnished with quirky features . Our friend was in former servant room - small. Not much time spent in the rooms so it did not matter. The next quick stop at the Verdura more than made up for any inconvenience.

Some lovely surprises! As noted by wildcat03, the lunches at at the Baron's house and Herb Farm were memorable. Piazza Amerina was on my bucket list and fabulous! It was evident that the Mafia is alive and well in Sicily today. (It controls the trash!) I did not think the extra excursion to Mount Etna was worth the price. It is unclear in the description whether the Mount Etna tour is included in the tour now.

Overall, it was a great tour.

• Options

bucketlist - Sicily is closer to Africa than Italy

In what sense? Not mileage, since Messina is less than 10 miles from the mainland of Italy.

• Options

Agree about Mt. Etna. The best thing about it was admiring the view from the restaurant at the Grand Hotel Timeo.

• Options

I went to Sicily in April, not with Tauck, it was a more thorough tour than with Tauck. Mount Etna was included and was one of my favorite experiences. I do love geology and geography and studied to A level in England. Back then, I never dreamed I would be able to walk around the slopes of an active volcano. We enjoyed our walk round one of the craters very much. We had a lunch/ very good wine tasting at a winery on the slopes and had some of the wine shipped home.

• Options
    edited September 2023

• Options

Smiling Sam - you are right. Some areas in the west of Sicily is closer to Africa than mainland Italy. Misread my notes!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file