Options

9/8/23 Earthquake in Morocco

Re: Earthquake in Morocco 9/9/23
Unimaginable devastation for the people living in these cities.
Question: When will Tauck post information about upcoming November, 2023 “Magic of Morocco” trips?

Comments

• Options

You are going ot have to call them, and they will likely say it is too early to make decisions.

• Options

I did call. Our trip leaves in a October. I was told today (Monday) that they have spoken with partners there and as of now trips are on. The woman who answered the call was definitely scripted. She said that most of the destruction was in the mountains. This doesn’t seem accurate based on media coverage. I just look again at the itinerary and they have us 4 nights in Marrakech (we added a night so that would be 5). I don’t see that happening. We are in a wait and see situation.

• Options

mil - Thank you! We are going in November but still it is nice to know that you have actually spoken to friends that live there. We have to depend on the media for our information.

• Options
    milmil
    edited September 2023

Noreen Hi.
    Yes, the media doesn't realize the impact that giving wrong info. can have in many ways... and the one girl (tourist) that was giving a report did not mention at all where she was... and kept saying Marrakech...
    I call my friends today again, to hear if there was anything new, they told me aid it's starting to increase. Spain, Israel, France are there at the affected area. World central Kitchen is also there with food, water, medical supplies and they have been rescuing people. the stores at the Medina are open during working hours, at night the medina has closed earlier due to lack of tourist and also less food stands.
    They do need more medical supplies, expected.
    This is all I know... as of today.

• Options

mil - We appreciate the information and thank you. We are so looking forward to this trip.

• Options

Yes, Mil thank you. We are also looking forward to this trip and now in many ways even more so to show our support.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Note conflicting reports re Marrakech and also Imlil near the epicenter; I've been following Imlil; I was there 6 years ago. I remember those who didn't want to climb rode donkeys up to our lodge. This video is from the Medina in Marrakech and shows I believe the Jewish Quarter, which was heavily damaged.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXIioBeCaa8

• Options

AlanS. I don’t have a subscription and can’t read the article. Can you provide a brief summary.

• Options

Try this. I did it as a share

https://wapo.st/3PiOm1O

• Options

Mfrancis—thank you!!

• Options
    edited September 2023

mfrances Thanks.

I’m typing this on my iPad (from my hospital bed 😲)

• Options

What???

• Options
    edited September 2023

Long story- trimming branches about 12’ up in a big river birch. Unintentionally took the fast way down without the ladder. Many fractures. Arms and legs OK, torso and spine not so much! 😫

• Options

Oh dear! Wishing you a speedy recovery and as little pain as possible. I hope your beautiful photos can distract you for a bit at least.

• Options

Oy—thankfully bones will mend! I’m confident that your compulsive nature will bode well for a speedy and complete recovery. Best Wishes!!

• Options

Thanks. I have my iPad with me with photos from every trip. One nurse is from Jerusalem and evidently travels (she just got back from Barcelona) so we had a good chat!

• Options

To a speedy recovery, Alan. Time to begin dictating your memoirs.

• Options

Alan, we all reach an age when there are things best left undone or for others to do. I certainly hope you recover soon.

• Options

Alan, sorry to hear about your accident. I enjoy all your contributions to the forum so hope you can get back to travel soon!

• Options

Alan, I just saw this. Oh my goodness. Feel better and get well. You must have a next trip already planned to look forward to. Sending positive thoughts your way.

• Options

AlanS- Wishing you a speedy recovery! I appreciate all your input!

• Options

Feel better Alan!

• Options

Alan...sending wishing to you for a speedy and comfortable recovery

• Options

These are the lovely inhabitants of a Berber settlement who welcomed us into their home for a tea ceremony during the Tauck Magic of Morocco tour in April of 2023. I reread my trip notes, but I have no idea what the name of the town was. In approximating the route we took through the desert on unpaved roads from the Four Seasons in Marrakesh , I believe the town is in the foothills of the High Atlas Mountains ( the range of mountains which is southwest of the Middle Atlas Mountains). I can’t help but wonder about how these people are. There is great joy in sharing in other cultures and other peoples’ lives. There is also great pain in the face of a natural disaster such as this when you worry for the welfare of these beautiful people whose lives are so different from our own. Hopefully, people are sending more than “thoughts and prayers”.

• Options

Speedy recovery, Alan.

• Options

Alan - So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you recover soon.