Options

Jackets for men?

2»

Comments

• Options

We always pack as if we were doing carry-on only, but we also check one bag with the liquids and unimportant stuff like my jacket. I always bring a jacket, and I always wear it a couple times. Sometimes just for cool nights or spaces that are too air-conditioned. And sometimes I wear it when the venue demands more respect than shorts, t-shirts, and shower shoes..

• Options

Ditto

• Options

If John Fetterman can work on the US Senate floor in a hoodie, gym shorts, and sneakers, no one needs a jacket anywhere.

• Options

Here is the packing list for our upcoming South America trip

We suggest that you pack the following items your journey to South America:
    Casual daytime wear – shorts, slacks and short-sleeve shirts
    Sunglasses, sunscreen, hat
    Swimwear
    Gym wear
    A light sweater or jacket for higher elevations or a breezy night
    Binoculars (7x50 preferably)
    Insect repellent
    Camera, lenses, batteries, memory cards and chargers
    Lightweight, comfortable yet sturdy walking shoes that have already been broken-in
    Travel alarm clock/cell phone with alarm function (many hotels do not have clocks in the rooms)
    Rain poncho and collapsible umbrella
    Reusable zipper lock bags/other waterproof bags or daypack for camera equipment
    Sundries and toiletries that may be difficult to find en route
    Copies of your travel documents that should be secured in the safe in your hotel room or stateroom while traveling

South America is a more casual trip. There isn't even a mention of an optional jacket and tie for men

• Options

Well said, cathyandsteve. I've never understood the obsession with attire on trips. I can understand when a new traveller asks about "dressing up" on particular tours.

For our holiday cruise this year I told my husband that he really didn't need a jacket since we were not planning on eating out on our own -- either while on tour or during our own time afterwards in another country -- and more than likely people will be wearing sweaters on board the boat. He looked at me incredulously. He will bring a jacket as he always does. It is his choice and his choice alone.

• Options

cathyandsteve - ahhh...but will you take a HAT???

Yep, two actually - a baseball cap and a hat with a wide brim all the way around.

Hopefully you'll get some good entertainment along with your Gala dinner.

• Options

Nor have I seen anyone on a Tauck tour with a clipboard jotting down what other people are or are not wearing. I have, however, seen church officials/security having to remind tourists to remove their hats before entering churches.

• Options

The real question is - if Tauck sent you free packing cubes, would you fold your jacket in one? :)

• Options

kfnknfzk - have, however, seen church officials/security having to remind tourists to remove their hats before
    entering churches.

And sometimes asking them to cover their knees and/or shoulders. And of course sometimes shoes must be removed.

• Options

Cathy-I’m with you. I pack what I want to wear - within limits! However, I won’t be wearing my PJs to breakfast. Tauck’s list is a mere suggestion.

• Options

I've only seen people denied entry due to dress code violations in two places while on tour:
    a) the Vatican
    b) the Blue Mosque

At the Blue Mosque they provided wraps to allow compliance - for both men and women.

• Options

No need for us to place jackets in a packing cube although if sized correctly they won't wrinkle (depending on the material, of course). Our luggage has a garment section that works well.

Regarding head coverings, I always place a small "scarf" over my head when entering a synagogue or church out of deference.

• Options
    edited October 2023

For me, a hat is one of the most important items. I want to protect my face. I wear factor 50 sunscreen and a hat. I bought a cute sunhat here in Japan too as the Japanese women frequently wear hats. No one realizes I’m 70.

• Options

• Options

Here’s the Japanese one, lightweight cotton with a bow, it has a wired brim but squashes up with no harm and cost about $16

• Options

• Options

British. How did thatVera Bradley backpack work out

• Options

The bag works very well for me, it’s easy to organize and find everything but I’m with a group who are extremely well traveled, Some over 100 countries. They always have the smallest bags. We have six nights on this trip where we only have our backpacks for overnight. Two for two nights and two for one night. I am the person who takes ‘just in case’ things around with me.. so I have the extra clothes. Eating with chopsticks, I’ve managed to stain four T shirts. But I am with people who just turn their T shirts inside out if they get a stain. I won’t do that, but it sure makes for a relaxed group of people focused on site seeing and not clothing and hotels. Actually, the hotels have been great.
    I’ll be taking my regular backpack to Africa next.

• Options
    edited October 2023

I have seen men denied entry into Windstar and Ponant main dining rooms in the evening because the men were wearing t-shirts, shorts, swimming suits, shower shoes, athletic shoes, and any kind of denim. They do not ‘require’ jackets for men, but country club casual is the normal in the evening. Also Ponant normally has a white or a black and white evening, and that dress is not required, but most French men will be wearing jackets.

• Options

I have only taken one (1) Ponant cruise (Great Lakes). It was the first time I experienced such underdressed Tauck travelers. Many walked through the bar area wearing swim attire with no covering on their way to the outdoor grill area. It was also the most inebriated group of travelers I have experienced.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file