Masks on planes

Seven US airlines may ban passengers who refuse to wear masks
Seven US airlines have announced plans to strictly enforce passengers' use of masks on flights.

In a statement, industry body Airlines for America (A4A) - which represents the group - said those who refused to wear masks on board could have their flying privileges revoked.

Companies pledging action are Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines. A4A said each carrier would determine appropriate consequences for individual cases.

Their decision is part of a larger drive by US airlines to improve safety following complaints that their mandatory mask requirements were not being enforced.

There are currently no US government requirements to wear masks on flights. Transport Secretary Elaine Chao has said the issue is best determined by airlines and unionised frontline workers. Susannah Carr - an industry union official and flight attendant with United Airlines - told a US congressional committee last week that mask use was "definitely an issue we need to address". This is from BBC news

Comments

• Well masks on planes certainly preferable to snakes on planes.

• Wonder if they'll use this as justification for filling middle seats?

• Oh, Claudia :D (That was the first thing to come to my mind as well!!!)

I wonder if Sky Marshals are still flying and how often. How about assigning enforcement to them? They don't have much else to do.

I decided to check- according to Howstuffworks, "Although their exact numbers are kept classified, airline insiders estimate that only five percent of U.S. flights have an air marshal on board."

• edited June 2020

Me too but I'm hoping they won't be needed nor required the next time I fly! :)

• AlanS - You’re on their list. You get a Sky Marshal every flight. Special people have to be protected! 😀

• I'm all for wearing a mask but must admit that it doesn't feel so good on a 9 hr. flight.

• How about wearing "fish bowl" helmets like used in old scifi movies?

• Gotta wonder if the next recommendation is going to be face shields. Certainly would be a better option in restaurants or long flights ( where you might actually get food or drink).

• Claudia face shields make sense.