Departure flight on Spotlight on India

I have signed up for a March 2022 trip to India. I can either take a 1:45AM flight or a 4:00 AM flight. How late does the farewell dinner on the last night of the tour usually go to? I am assuming that it would be either no sleep before flight or very little (which is fine with me). Just wish to gauge if I would be missing any of the farewell dinner if I choose the 1:45 flight. Any information about that last day would be appreciated. Also would there be enough time to schedule a trip to Elephanta Island between lunch and dinner? Any tips on this trip would be helpful and appreciated,

Comments

• I did the Portrait of India tour and took a 2:35AM flight out of Mumbai. It was no issue w/r to the farewell dinner. It's probably similar for the Spotlight on India.

One gentleman on our tour, a single traveler, stayed an extra play in Mumbai and planned to go to Elephanta Island. He decided against it when he got to the ferry. He said he didn't feel as safe as he would like. That's an individual thing. If you are planning to go with two or more people the feeling might be totally different. I think it would be a real rush job to do Elephanta Island between lunch and dinner, especially since you have concerns about impacting the farewell dinner.

• edited April 5

Stay an extra day and tour WITH A GUIDE. Any daytime departures? Remember, Tauck will want to get you to the airport 3 hours early. How long is the trip from the hotel to the airport?

• I think the tour has changed and now includes Elephanta.

• We did the Northern India and Nepal tour in 2017 which also ended in Mumbai. Day 17 of the tour was listed as the last day of the tour however this was just a travel day. Day 16 was actually the last day of any touring and that evening we had what was the farewell event which was actually called “ Farewell Cocktails” in the EAU BAR of the Oberoi Mumbai Hotel. A majority of the other Tauck travelers had flights that left in the wee hours of day 17. Most people did not even go to bed that night since most of the airport transfers started between 9PM and Midnight.

Our flight was scheduled for very late afternoon/early evening on day 17. There was another couple who had similar flight times so we decided to have the concierge at the hotel book a tour guide to take us to Elephanta Island on the morning of day 17. The trip was well worth it and we got back to the hotel with plenty of time to shower and change before going to the airport. The temperature was in the low 90’s with humidity about the same so showering before your flight is probably a good idea.

By the way we decided to take a rickety Mumbai cab from the ferry terminal back to the hotel. We weren’t sure how much it would cost but we wanted to get back to the hotel as soon as possible. Four of us crammed into a very small cab. The final cost for the cab ride from the ferry back to the hotel was about 50 or 60 rupees which was about USD 75 cents. I gave the driver a very generous tip.

• The Spotlight tour when we went, ended up back in Delhi, The Farewell dinner was the night before in another city. We had a flight back to Delhi early morning, Tauck changed the timing of the flight to then instead of an afternoon flight, we were only told I believe the night before. No one was pleased, and then we had to hang about the hotel near the airport the rest of the day. The tour director left us there and got a flight back to the US. Most of us were on flights that left about 2am
    The most unsatisfactory ending to any of our tours, to be awake for over twenty four hours before we even got on our fights home. I hope it’s different now!