Is China cancelled till 2023?

I am I right that Tauck has no tours to China until 2023?

Comments

• China has been on my Wish List for a long time. I had been scheduled to go about 8 years ago with another company but had a family emergency and needed to cancel. I see there are 4 departures for 2023. It’s tempting but I need to wait it out to see how life and Covid develops.

• We were in China in November 2019, went to the markets with all the wild animals for consumption. Everyone we knew did that want us to go because of all the trouble in Hong Kong where the tour went at the end of the tour. Consequently, The tours group was not full and neither was Hong Kong. Great tour.

• I went in 2017 and enjoyed the tour. Originally, I didn't want to see China, as I have problems with their politics, human rights, etc. However, Taucktourians on other trips said it's a must-see. They were right. It was an excellent tour.

At the time I did it, there was no all-land tour and I spent 3 days on the Yangtse river cruise, which bored me (though I did win 5 of the 6 categories in their trivia contest and took home a bunch of trinkets such as small stuffed pandas :) ). If I did it again (which I won't), I'd do the all-land version.

P.S. to NancyCohen - If you go, make sure to arrange for the Jewish Shanghai tour during a free afternoon. There are old threads about it. It was excellent and I learned a lot, having no idea there was a Jewish population in Shanghai in the past.

• edited August 2021

British
    I have traveled in India, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Hong Kong — I have barely overcome my shock at seeing the wide variety of food items at the markets. But I know I will also enjoy the other markets as well (as per your older posts!)

BKMD-the Shanghai Jewish tour is definitely on my radar! I try to seek out these tours where ever I go. For a few years, Tauck only did boat trips to China - I resisted and was happy to see a land trip (with 2-3 days in a boat) return a few years ago. Unfortunately I kept thinking next year, next year … 2023 may be THE YEAR!

The only dates that would work for me in 2023 are May 11 and October 5. I have been in Hong Kong in May and it was brutally hot. Thoughts?? Also the website does not have many details yet…

• China is amazing, beautiful, clean, people are super friendly- great monuments. the Yangtze river cruise is super nice and relaxing. I went last 2017.

• MIL-thanks!! For whatever reason, I don’t like to relax on Tauck trips!! I went to Japan on a boat tour - great time but too confining! I need to see it all — I love to explore; especially markets!!

• edited August 2021

China and Hong Kong - My first tour (non-Tauck), back in 2001. We were there on the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square protests. They had the military on standby in buses near the square just in case. Westerners still weren't real common in parts of China at this time. Being 6'6" tall I got some looks. I chuckled when the kids would start looking at me at about my waist and then keep tilting their heads upwards, usually followed by some giggles. Could have been worse, one gentleman on our tour, who was slightly overweight, the kids would come up to him, rub his belly, and say Happy Buddha, then giggle and run away.

China is spectacular to see, from Shanhai, Beijing, the Great Wall, the terra cotta warriors, Hong Kong, and parts in between. It definitely got me hooked on touring. My biggest surprise during this tour was watching a performance of the Beijing Opera. It's a national pride in China. When they started my wife and I looked at each other and grinned. The singing was like someone stepped on the tail of a cat. I guess it's just my lack of culture.

Anyway, again China is a must see!!

• No trivia games or anything like that on our three days on the boat. We were off it most of the time or traveling by wonderful scenery. Oh, I did get to volunteer to get Acupuncture on the boat in front of everyone!

• British - On our china tour we stopped at a reflexology school and all got foot "rubs". My feet hurt for six months after my "rub".

• I travelled to China in 2006 with a Non-Tauck company for 2 weeks. It was so amazing and interesting although this Company had many miss steps along the way as it was their first land tour to China. I tried to do the more strenuous trips back then. We traveled 3 days down the Yangtze and were able to see the villages and sights before construction was completed on the Three Gorges Dam Project. We also traveled, on our own, to Macao, which was interesting but I think in hind sight we would have skipped this experience. We got lost several times once we wandered off the main drag and couldn't find anyone that spoke English so communication was difficult when asking for directions or ordering food in a local shop. We had pointed to a picture on the menu but, 3 times, we received the wrong dish and had to walk out. Lesson learned is to stick with your Tour Director or only go to recommended restaurants. I don't think we would have had these issues if we traveled with Tauck. My top 3 hi-lights were seeing the Terra Cotta Warriors, walking on the The Great Wall of China and sailing down the Li River in Guilin. We also drove by the "Birds Nest" being erected for the 2008 Olympics.

Sam: We also went to the reflexology school for the foot massages. I really enjoyed the experience except for where they pounded on your head with their hands at the end, it sort of gave me a headache and ruined the overall experience.

• edited August 2021

travel maven - I take most of the responsibility for the sore feet after the reflexology school visit. I think the young women providing the "rubs" looked at my size and used a lot of their force for my "rub". I was too "manly" to say, Whoa, that hurts. Lesson learned, from that point forward I whimpered like a baby if things didn't feel right. :D

• I did a private art culture tour to China about 8 years ago. I was motivated to go after being there on business and having a couple of days for sightseeing. Definitely worth a visit. Fascinating culture. My leisure trip did include the Yangtze River cruise and I found it fascinating even though I prefer the land tour. The scenery and technology are incredible but the smell of those diesel fumes going through the canal was awful!

• It looks as if everyone has had a different experience! I had acupuncture many years ago for severe morning sickness and it worked. That was not painful, this time it was a bit, but the worst part was when the guy was pounding and pummeling my body. It was very painful and I had a headache for ages afterwards. My husband could tell things were not right by my facial expression.
    Lesson here, don’t volunteer for anything in China! We were taken for foot massages somewhere else, his time it was my hubby who was in pain.
    The good thing about the tour that has the river cruise is that you see lots of pandas anyway, that’s not made clear on the itinerary. The other tour takes you to see Pandas, which is the main difference. Whether Tauck will be doing two tour choices in future, who knows,

• _Hi _NancyCohen.
    I'm like you.. I like to see as much as possible, normally a go to different countries every yea,r so I book xtra tours on Tauck's leisure time. I normally set them up with the hotel concierge before arrival. ;)
    I meant relaxing on the river cruise down the Yangtze river. But the entire trip was amazing.

• We did this tour in May/June of 2018, and found it to be excellent, with a great TD (Larry) and wonderful local guides. The Chinese people are wonderful, and to understand our world and today's politics (I feel the same for Russia as part of the Baltic trip), seeing the transformation of China helps understand things. Bullet trains and 130 airports under construction, all wonderful, making the return to JFK/EWR/LGA quite dreary. I thought the 3 days on the Yangtze to be quite interesting, because old China, before relocations to the cities as part of the dam project, is what you see predominantly (like sailing up Neva River to St. Petersberg reveals the old Soviet Union). Beware that depending on time of year and weather conditions, if the Yangtze is low, there are substantial steps to go from the ship to bus transports. Experiencing a market somewhat like the Wuhan wet market was quite interesting, especially upon reflection due to Covid. We did a Shanghai Jewish tour, choosing to have our local guide (Fun Fun) take us there privately during leisure time, and she knew her stuff. Yes, it was quite hot the time of year we went, most noticeably in Beijing while touring the Forbidden City, and also during our time in Hong Kong. Food was great, and my vegan wife got her own set of numerous entrees each day, offering double the samplings for me (and new friends eager to capitalize on that). Hong Kong surely is not the same now, so one has to wonder how it will be presented. For sure even on the mainland we were watched - I noticed a well-dressed official type person watching over our group at one of our stops and was told it was someone ensuring our well-being. I think otherwise. A great trip strongly recommended when it hopefully resumes.

• I note that Sevenseas had Larry as his TD. We had him too. We had Larry on a previously tour and he had been exceptional, going over and above for everyone. One example, I had an eye problem and needed some saline eye drops. Instead of just telling us where the pharmacy was,, he insisted on going himself to get some for me, instantly! ( Yes Mr. B was not happy I had none with me) He is a very experienced TD as so many of the Tauck TDs are. When we saw we had Larry when we arrived in China with the worry of what we might encounter with the troubles in Hong Kong, I immediately knew we would be in safe hands if we had to deviate from planned touring.
    With the additional challenges of travel during Covid, it really is important to have experienced TDs around. The two times we have traveled with other tour companies, there was an occasion on each, where lack of authority or knowledge and experience showed with a couple of incidents.

• Camping on to British's comments, we had a guest who early in the trip had a cardiac event (later advised as a heart attack), and Larry stopped in daily at the hospital (choice was offered for Western medicine hospital or traditional Chinese) to see the guest. They remained in hospital after we moved on to other cities, and Tauck had a local team follow up and take care of logistics. Another guest had a mobility issue when we were visiting Forbidden City, and Larry arranged for a wheelchair with a pusher for the entire time (once you enter, there is no turning back) who even carried the guest up stairs and across cobblestone when needed. Excellent. Amazingly, as a long-time guide in China, dating back to Tauck's beginning there, he does not speak Mandarin but still got things done.

• I’m seriously thinking of signing up but I want to see the itinerary first. October 2023 is so far off…I may call Tauck to find some details. I am hoping that there are some interesting cultural activities I have looked at another tour co (similar trip but without Hong Kong). I have been to HK 3 times and thoroughly loved the city. I want to visit again since the clamp-down but I know it will sadden me.

As a solo traveler, it is not always easy to find availability for 1 room/1 guest. I understand that rational (including less gratuity for TD) but solo guests do pay a hefty supplement. I’m not complaining about the cost - just the limited availability!

• We took China a couple of years ago. We would have liked to see a bit more of HK. Such a fascinating city. As an example, we took the funicular up to the top of Victoria Peak a great view, but would have liked to get off somewhere and look around the downtown area.

• I can barely plan for next month …it’s hard to contemplate October 2022 (my booked Morocco trip) or October 2023 (a probable China). I want a crystal ball!!

• edited August 2021

We tagged on an extra day in Hong Kong at the end of the tour. My husband had been several times before and it had been a joke for many years that he was going to take me someday. He knew exactly where he wanted to take me on that extra day, Lantau Island. It turned out of be one of the highlights of our entire trip. I found the notes I made, here they are…hope it is of help to future travelers!

LANTAU ISLAND
    Friday November 1st 2019
    Most people from our tour left for the US today. We are staying on an extra night. We arranged a tour with another couple, the company was Splendid tours. They collected us from the hotel and there were just two other people. We were bussed to a view point to look at the new suspensions bridges, wonders of engineering. We went across one of the bridges to Lantau Island, most of which is preservers from development.
    We stopped by a beautiful beach on the South China Sea., we walked along the sand. We drove around narrow bending roads to a fishing village and strolled around the homes and traditional stores selling all kinds of dried fish and fish parts, medicinal herbs, and a few tourist shops. We got onto a little boat and motored along a waterway passing lots of fisherman’s homes on stilts in the water. We got back on to land and went into an older Daoist shrine and burned incense. We got back onto our bus and drove higher up to a Buddhist Monastery renowned for its huge bronze Buddha on the top of the mountain. It was spectacular. We then walked along a walkway lined with 12 generals each bearing a Chinese zodiac. There were feral cows along the way. We walked around the monasteries and had lunch at their vegetarian restaurant.
    The weather was beautiful up there. We then made our way to a cable car nearby and rode down the mountain and going over water. It took at least twenty minutes , the views were wonderful. It was a great day

• British: I agree!! It’s a must see! My friends and I ventured to Lantau Island on our own! We had some basic instructions and somehow we got there by train and 2 buses. The traveling itself was fascinating! When we got there, we hired a ‘captain’ with a dinghy to tour the homes on stilts. We took the tram to the Big Buddha with breathtaking views and finally walked through a carnival-like atmosphere with fortune tellers, mimes etc. We then climbed up over 300 steps to the top of the Big Buddha - had lunch at the monastery (a story for another day!). Getting back to Hong Kong took several hours - we inadvertently took the local bus! It was a day to remember! A highly recommended excursion!
    Another great spot to visit: the Hong Kong Museum of History - signage was beautifully presented in English. We spent 2-3 hours!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file