Options

Guiness Storehouse Dublin

Comments

• Options

😂😂😂

• Options
    edited April 2022

Alan said:

And don't forget to pronounce it correctly- in Ireland it is Smith icks. no "w"

Yes, indeed. And the Smith isn't pronounced the way we would pronounce Smith, it sounds more like you've had a few already and you're slurring your words. More like Smi - thicks. :D

• Options

Ken from Vegas, what’s your tour start date? We’re on the June 7th tour.

• Options
    edited April 2022

We're on the small group tour June 2nd.

• Options

Thanks everyone for your comments, additional locations to visit on the free time and of course the good laughs from some of the comments. As I think over my plans, I'm pretty sure I'll follow the old adage, "when in Rome..." and partake in a Guiness at the Storehouse. How bad can it taste when looking out to a beautiful view of Dublin. Plus, I can always wash it down with a neat Jameson!

• Options

Does anyone have ideas for dublin with a 14 year old granddaughter? No Guinness...yuck

• Options

There are lots of museums and parks. Grafton st for shopping and people watching. Maybe a hop on/hop on tour. What are her interests?

• Options

I understand that Guinness tastes better in Ireland than in the US.

We are going to Ireland with Tauck in July, any comments from people going in May/June would be appreciated

Thanks

• Options
    edited May 2022

Started researching for our free time in Dublin. Rick Steves has a two part audio tour of Dublin you can listen to on his Audio Europe app or download as an MP3. The app and content are free. We used his audio tour when we were in Barcelona - it was great! More info and download the map here:
    https://ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/london

Note: the URL says London, but the page covers all of Britain and Ireland.

I will post a trip review including things I did in Dublin in the Best of Ireland, Small Groups forum in late June.

• Options

Ken: This is a great tip about the Rick Steves Audio tours app. I will have to remember that for future trips. Thanks for posting. I purchased Rick Steves guidebooks for years not only when I traveled independently to Europe but also later when I traveled on Tauck Tours. His guidebooks are great for up to date logistical information on touring the must see sites on your free days while on Tour. When I traveled on the Tauck French Waterways Tour in 2014, I used his recommendation of a wonderful Tour Company that did sightseeing tours in a chauffer driven historic Citroën 2CV car. I was traveling solo, at the time, and the tour was safe and fun. His site and guidebooks are a great travel resource.

• Options
    edited May 2022

Just made my lunch reservations for the 1837 Bar & Brasserie at the Guiness Storehouse. Some things to be aware of:

• They book up well in advance. I just placed my reservation for 6/2 and 1:15pm was the earliest time for lunch.
    • They use Open Table. You will need to provide a credit card to secure the reservation. The website says that you can make the reservation as part of booking the entry tickets. That didn't work, so you need to book the table on Open Table and then book your entry tickets.
  • Options

Well, I won't be posting a trip review after all. Stuck in Donegal with Covid.

• Options
    edited June 2022

So sorry to here this Ken! Hope it is a mild case!

• Options

Sorry to hear that, Ken. Quick recovery!

• Options
    edited June 2022

Sorry to hear that.

Was the tour on Day 5 or 6? Either way, you didn't even make it to the halfway point with a lot of great stuff yet to see! :'(

Do you have any idea where, when, and how you were exposed and got it?

• Options
    edited June 2022

Ken - How many days into your tour did you test positive? For me, testing positive prior to the return to the states would be bad, but not as bad as testing positive at or near the start of a tour.

Do you envision yourself ever returning to the area to repeat any tour portions that you will miss? For me, that would be highly unlikely and that is why I think testing positive like you did is worse than testing positive just before the return to the states.

• Options

I see a new travel business- "Come to our "COVID clinic to get COVID. Stop by 10 days before your international travel for worry free infections and recovery" Comes complete with recovery documentation!" :D

• Options

Sorry to hear Ken, hope you recover soon.

• Options

I’m so sorry to hear that, Ken. We’re leaving Dublin tomorrow. I wonder if they’d let you join our tour. I don’t know how long quarantine is here in Ireland. Feel better soon!

• Options

Alan and Sam
    We tested positive towards the end of day 6. Probably got infected by our granddaughter who drove us to the airport. She tested positive days later. One other person tested positive and dropped out when we did. We will probably repeat the trip in a couple of years.

Thanks to everyone who expressed their concern. I'm feeling much better with just light cold symptoms.

I will make a post about dealing with Covid on tour when we get back.

• Options
    edited June 2022

What is the quarantine for Ireland? Will you get any opportunity to investigate Donegal? So much for the Luck of the Irish!

I was just wondering does the insurance policy pay for Internet??? In this day and age, that is a real consideration if you will be stuck in a hotel room for a week or so!! :D

• Options

No enforced quarantine. There are guidelines from Health & Safety and we're isolating for now. We saw Donegal town before we tested positive (a few shops and a small castle). It's ten minutes drive from the hotel. Internet and breakfast (not including the room service charge) are included. The 15 euro per meal room service add on is making for expensive dining.

We have a nice patio room, so we can get fresh air without infecting anyone.

• Options

Good luck for the rest of your recovery Ken.

• Options

Is there a Lidl or Tesco in Donegal where you can get food (in person or via Uber delivery)?

• Options

Alan
    We are several miles from town and still isolating. Not sure if delivery is possible. We may check into that.

• Options

Ken, save all your receipts, you never know what oyu might be able to claim back. Best wishes for a speedy return home.

• Options

Already doing that, British. No direct insurance, but our credit card offers a fair amount. I hope it will cover at least a portion. Our flight changes were costly.

• Options

Ken from Vegas
    9:02AM
    . . . . Our flight changes were costly.

Was that all due to last minute booking/increase in fares since you initially booked? You didn’t have to pay a re-booking fee did you?

• Options

Ken - Are you referring tothe cost of the revised flight itself? I thought all (most?) airlines have eliminated change fees.

• Options

I thought I read that some airlines are charging again

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file