Options

Tipping

It appears that Tauck's latest approach to tipping is including wording such as the following into the Final Documents sent to travelers. The following was extracted from our upcoming Egypt: Jewel of the Nile tour Final Documents.

We ask that you extend gratuities on an individual basis rather than as a group, and we offer the following guideline to assist you in determining an appropriate amount:

USD $10 per traveler, per day for the Tauck Director for a total of USD $100 per traveler for the tour.

Please note: Although gratuities represent the majority of your Tauck Director's compensation, our policy prohibits Tauck Directors from directly soliciting gratuities.

All other service gratuities, including those for your motorcoach driver(s), local guides, hotel bellmen and restaurant staff, have been included in the price of your journey.

Now that Tauck is not only suggesting the daily amount, but doing the math, for the suggested total, I was wondering if you think this might be a first step towards including the TD's tip into the cost of all tours, including the land tours where they have always been excluded from the tour cost.

I know whether to include the tip into the tour's cost is one of those issues, like which type of tour is your favorite (land, ship, or riverboat) - meaning there is no right or wrong answer.

I'm just curious as to what others think.

For me, I'm in the camp of Include the Tip in the Cost of the Tour (I'm all for the all-inclusive approach)

Comments

• Options

I prefer the current model. It gives the TD incentive to provide better customer service.

• Options

I'm with you, Smiling Sam, all inclusive is the way to go. I've noticed the tipping section doing the math as well for my upcoming K&T tour but not for the Ireland trip. That just says $10 a day for guide and $7 for driver. Perhaps it is location dependent. But I would much prefer they include the tipping as part of the total cost, or at least give you the option of prepaying, though I suppose that has its disadvantages too as some will prepay and some won't and then won't tip at the end either although I suppose some won't tip regardless.

• Options

BKMD - As a doctor you included your tip in your fee. I guess your incentive to provide better customer service was simply Professional Pride. 😂😂

• Options
    edited August 2022

I'd wager doing the math/adding the total was done at the request of TDs either at the annual meeting or via survey. I've read about and heard numerous travelers say they don't include the first and last day in the their tip amount. That is wrong. If you've ever watched and thought about what a TD does, he/she is just as busy and sometime more so during the first and last days of the tour than on tour.

As far as "suggested" tips vs including them in the price of the tour (all inclusive), from a company perspective, I think it is nothing more than a psychological marketing decision- which impacts potential travelers more (positively or negatively)- a higher up-front cost or a lower up-front cost but an additional cost. I'm sure they have had many discussions, focus groups, surveys etc. about this topic. You see similar topics throughout the travel and other industries that deal with people. "No Hidden Extras" Viking and many others offer lower initial costs but then charge you for extras- alcohol, excursions, etc. While many repeat customers would like to see tips included or say, "If they just paid them a decent wage." That is a faulty strawman argument. How many of you who thought that traveling with Tauck was expensive at first, but now realize it is worth every penny, and furthermore, now spend even more on pre, post, and on-tour extras than you did on your first or second tour?

• Options
    edited August 2022

How terrible to think no one does their best unless they get a tip! We should all be paying the same amount of money for a tour. As it is now, some pay less and some more depending on whether they tip or not. I am always surprised how cheap wealthy people can be. Basically, do away with tipping. Increase the price of the tour and save us carrying large amounts of cash around which is such a liability

• Options

BKMD--I'm just curious as to what better customer service the TD would be providing with the tip model. Isn't that what our evaluations are for at the end of the tour. Wouldn't keeping their jobs be the incentive they need. With anywhere from 24 to 44 guests on a tour, depending on classic or small group, how personalized can the customer service be. I'm trying to think of a tour that I've taken where the TD has done anything but their job.

• Options

On our tours, almost all went over and above. You won’t believe some of the shenanigans some customers give the tour directors. Only one tour director on a tour did we almost give no tip, we certainly reduced it

• Options

voikk32 - Out of the 10 or so trips I've done, there were 2 TDs I thought were below average. One was simply poorly prepared with limited knowledge (frequently reading off a laptop during the bus rides). The other was lazy. One example - he refused to put stickies with names by the seats (despite being asked by many), so it took longer than usual to learn everyone's names. I won't mentioned their names, but interestingly, they were both Canadian. One was the China trip and the other was Scandinavia. OTOH, I've had several whom I thought were outstanding in terms of knowledge, organization and seeming to do more than what was called for.

There's a wide gap between being excellent and being so bad they get fired based on evaluations. Think of being in a restaurant. there are waiters who go above and beyond, and those who dump your food off at the table, then you don't see them again until they ask about desert or bring the check. The latter isn't going to be fired.

Using Sam's example, if a TD seems to get less than the $100 recommended on a regular basis, maybe a light bulb would go off above their head, thinking maybe it's them and not a cheap tourist. Or maybe not. Given human nature, maintaining an incentive to perform well seems to work better than no incentive. Just my opinion...

• Options

Everyone's personal experience with TDs is going to shape their opinion on this. On the issue of whether the TD works on the first and last day, my experience is it depends on rather it's a land tour or river cruise.

On the river cruises the TDs work the entire trip. They are there at the Tauck hotel on the morning of the cruise start answering questions, handing out luggage tags, getting everyone on the bus to go to the ship. On the departure day they are working with the ship's crew to make sure all the luggage goes with correct departure group. In Amsterdam, they arranged for us to have a taxi to take us to our non-Tauck hotel (at our expense) as well as arranging the pickup from that hotel to go to the airport a few days later. On a different cruise, when we were going to the Tauck hotel post-cruise, the TDs went with us to make sure everyone got checked in. They earn every penny that I prepaid them.

On land tours yes the TD is working on Day 1 even if you don't see them until the reception. They have to have all the documents and forms ready, confirm the guest list, make sure the detailed itinerary is ready, etc. On the last day I have only once seen the TD and that was in Switzerland when part of our group had to get their covid test that day. On 3 other tours there wasn't hide nor hair of the TD. If your departure from the hotel goes well you don't really notice it. If not then you're put in the position of trying to hunt them down to help.

On our Ireland tour the TD worked well throughout the tour and seemed quite nice. At the farewell dinner she got weirdly snarky in a way that felt like now that the tip and comment sheets were in the bag she didn't need to be nice.

Bottom line, based on my experience, I'm not convinced that including the tip in the tour cost would hurt service. Maybe move the timing of the comment card to after the tour is completely over. I know Tauck puts a lot of pressure on TDs to collect them all and send them in but maybe it's time for a change.

• Options

British-I cannot say that I've ever had that experience. I've had a few tour directors who have taken a day or two to get into a rhythm and maybe one or two customers who have been overly demanding but in general I've had good experiences. Or maybe because it's been so long since I've traveled, I've blocked out all the negatives. So looking forward to getting on an airplane in 2 weeks and spending 3 1/2 weeks in Scotland and Ireland.

• Options

I have been in the middle of spirited conversations regarding tipping and the last day of a tour when you’re going home and most likely will not even see the tour director. We tip for that day because it it’s the right thing to do. On the paperwork, for example, it will say a tour is 10 days and then we do the tipping math based on that. I am certain others do not because they are going home that day. If many guests on a tour could be doing this, it adds up and the your director would be minus one day of tips. Thoughts on this last day?
    Here’s another something that I’ve heard because I’m a people person and I’m not kidding and this infuriates me every which way. I have literally heard that some people give not so nice reviews on their comment cards in order to receive a Tauck voucher! I’ve literally heard that with my own two ears. I did walk away from that couple. I wouldn’t even know what to do about this.

• Options

Just want to put in a plug for Carmen S., our Canadian TD on the Israel and Jordan trip that was cut short by Covid. He kept dodging all the curve balls thrown at him.

• Options

In my last tour I hear a few people say they would not tip for the first and last day, I also like Alan believe that is wrong. I wouldn't mind if they added the tip to the price of the tour, like British said it will save me from carrying large amounts of cash.

• Options

BKMD--now that you mention it, I did have one TD who wasn't as knowledgeable about the country/tour as all the other TDs I've had but she was so personable that you kind of overlooked it. She too was Canadian and it was the Small Group Classic Italy maybe 8 or so years ago. I'm not sure I've ever seen any TD on the last day (except once when I ran into one at the airport because he had already taken off earlier than the rest of us) and frequently not on the first day either if there is no dinner, just check in to the hotel.

Claudia Sails--I like your suggestion of moving the timing of the comment card until the tour is completely over. I agree that including the tip in the tour cost would not necessarily hurt service.

British--totally agree with your statement _**How terrible to think no one does their best unless they get a tip! **_

• Options

For me, offering the Tour Director and driver(s) a gratuity is my way of expressing gratitude for what they have done and for making the tour a memorable one. I also enjoy writing a personal note and tucking the money into the thank you card.

In the decades of traveling with Tauck I can think of only one occasion in which I thought the Tour Director was "doing their job." My experiences have always been quite different, especially since the small group tours began. The tour directors have become like family to us.

• Options
    edited August 2022

I think it just adds to the discussion/confusion on this issue that Tauck includes the tips for Tour Directors on small ship and riverboat tours.

I understand, I think, the rationale. That being that on those tours you don't have one dedicated tour director. You get a different tour director for each excursion based on the excursion you select.

That said, where is the "TD incentive to provide better customer service" on those tours?

Seems to me if including the tip on the small ship and riverboat tours works well for everyone - customers and employees, then why can't the same model work well for all parties on land tours?

• Options

Claudia and voikk -
    There's a reason the comment cards get handed in at the final dinner - to make sure they get every one of them back. Tauck management values these highly and if they left it to the individuals to mail them in they would get far fewer back. You're always welcome to send them a letter or e-mail if something bad happens after you hand in your comment card.

As I've said before when this came up in another thread, I think it's good that they are doing the math (although they didn't do it on my upcoming tour). I've run into people who don't tip on the first and/or last days of the tour. My opinion (supported by the calculation) is that if Tauck is recommending the amount per day, you should use their number of days in the calculation.

It always amazes me when people come up with lame excuses not to tip or to lower the tip (blatant bad service is definitely not lame). You're paying an amount in the high hundreds of dollars per day per person for a Tauck tour and you want to be stingy on a $10 tip? In terms of trip cost, the tip is tiny, but it means a lot to the TD.

Just to be clear (lest I offend), my comments about stingy tippers are not directed at anyone in this thread, it refers to people I've run across on tours.

• Options

I also think that two comment cards should be given to a couple on a tour instead of one. I’ve never understood that. Sometimes my husband and I are not of the same opinion or thought process with some of the questions on the comment card, hence, two would be better for us.

• Options

I am all for the all inclusive approach. My one concern would be having the tour directors expect a gratuity over and above what is included in the tour price.

A short story on why my thinking is this way. In March we decided to splurge on a fancy dinner at one of the top restaurants in Seattle. When making the reservation I noticed that they automatically add a 20% service charge to the final bill. Rather than me explain it here is a snip from the restaurant website.

When we got the final bill at the restaurant the waiter made sure to highlight the fact that none of the service charge goes to the waitstaff. It was almost like there was an expectation of adding an additional tip to the bill. I was a bit put off by this even though the food and service were excellent. Our final bill here was just under $400 so it was not a cheap meal. :D

Would this type of thing happen if Tauck implements an all inclusive approach? We have been on one Tauck river cruise and are scheduled for another in October (unless the Rhine dries up) and I think we prefer the tipping included approach.

• Options

OurTravels34 said:

I also think that two comment cards should be given to a couple on a tour instead of one.

All you have to do is ask. The form has a space where you indicate how many people are on the card. If you want to do separate cards, you're welcome to. I've had some TDs offer this, but if you ask, I'm sure they'll give you two forms.

• Options

JohnS
    10:14AM
    I am all for the all inclusive approach. My one concern would be having the tour directors expect a gratuity over and
    above what is included in the tour price.

I've never seen any expectation of an additional tip on the small ship or riverboat tours where the tip is included.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Just a note on tour directors that are not knowledgeable. I have been on at least three tours where the tour director has been a very last minute substitute for who was originally supposed to be leading the tour. All coped really well. Once they know the basics of the actual tour, like time to leave the hotel, where to go each day and so on, a well trained tour director can jump in and lead any tour but they may not know enough about the local history etc without reading it from notes or indeed their laptop. One of our TD’s who was a substitute was the great Don Dunkle on our second Tauck tour in Costa Rica, he is a gem, has a photographic memory. Another one usually lead the Asian tours, he was actually the one who made us think we should do the Vietnam tour ….In fact, Several years later, we were on Vietnam Cambodia Laos tour and came across him leading another Tauck tour in Hanoi. We went over to speak to him and tell him it was his fault we were there!
    On the land part of our recent Alaska tour, when it was our day to sit in the front seats of the bus, it was evident the driver had never taken a Tauck tour on that itinerary before, the TD and driver were discussing logistics of where to go, stop and timing for that day and the driver was talking about whereabouts she went with other tour companies.
    On our INDIA tour, our TD was ill one day, so the bus driver lead the tour that day. Teamwork.
    While you hope that everyone on a Tauck tour has the same ethics and honesty as you, it clearly does not happen. You would think people would be on their best behaviors in a group setting, wrong they are not. I try to blend and not cause the TD any drama

• Options
    edited August 2022

Yes, we are sometimes offered a card each, you just have to ask. We often want to highlight different things. Some TD’s say the completed hope and trust card is the admission to the Farewell Dinner. It is also the cue to give the tip then.

• Options

It's hard to keep the tipping cash secure when you're on a land tour - different hotels every 1-3 nights - sometimes in crowded places with pickpockets. Yes, you can use the hotel safe, but not on a transition day. Having it included in the cost would make it less of a burden.

On the other hand, if it was pre-paid, one might still feel the need or desire to tip. We were recently on an all inclusive cruise and I did tip the cabin steward and butler. Perhaps not as much as it would have been if it wasn't included, but I still felt funny not doing anything. Plus, they were so nice and helpful and I wanted to show my appreciation. And the whole Covid thing really messed them up...

So even if the TDs tips were included, would some of us still want to give extra? Or feel pressured when we saw others doing so? I don't need to be a "big shot", but I don't want to be a jerk either! 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Options
    edited August 2022

I find my mind is often not ready to provided the best comment at the end of the tour. If there is something especially positive or negative that I want to address, I will do it with a letter or email sent later. Sometimes I send it to Tauck, to the TD, or both.

• Options
    edited August 2022

On river cruises I always give the room steward a thank you card with a gratuity tucked inside. I do this discreetly, of course. I was so impressed with the Andorinha crew last year that I extended a gratuity to our regular server, bartender (he always greeted us with our favorite wine whenever he saw us enter the lounge) and the room steward. Again, discreetly. I literally wanted to adopt all three of them!

We will be taking our first Tauck small ship cruise this fall. I'm not sure what to expect as far as level of service from the crew. We'll see.

• Options

SGF
    So even if the TDs tips were included, would some of us still want to give extra? Or feel pressured when we saw
    others doing so? I don't need to be a "big shot", but I don't want to be a jerk either!

I believe there would be no reason to feel pressure to provide a tip if it was included, and not doing so shouldn't make you feel like a jerk. If you felt the need to tip for something that you felt was way above the expected behavior then sure go ahead and provide an extra tip guilt free.

As an example of something that might be above and beyond. Say you forgot a medication and you let the TD know about it. In tour free time the TD says, come with me. There is a pharmacy just around the corner and I know that we can get that prescription filled there. Then the TD goes with you and sure enough you get your medication.

To me that is something that the TD did for you personally, not the group as a whole, that I'd consider above and beyond. In that situation I'd gladly provide a guilt free extra tip, with a thank you note, at the end of the tour.

Based on what I've seen from TD's on small ship and riverboat tours there is no expectation for a tip.

• Options

Your very example happened to me on a tour Sam, I needed eye drops for my troublesome eyes. The TD insisted he would go for me! What a lovely man!

• Options

I had a similar situation for J&E- we had three years of cancellations and plenty of time to plan a few on-tour extras. None required TD assistance, but I told our TD of my plans with a pre-tour letter anyway so she would know what we or I was planning in case there were some unannounced schedule change that could affect our plans and so she would know where I was if something went wrong. She was appreciative and made an extra effort to ensure I would be able to execute my plans. Two examples, I informed her of my plan and timetable for extra hiking in Petra so she was prepared when I texted that I might be a few minutes late (due to last minute leg cramps) and sent our local guide to assist me during the final few hundred yards. (I was only 5 min. late . Had I not gotten leg cramps I would have been on time for the bus to dinner at Little Petra). We had a few hours of free time after we arrived in Aswan before dinner. Our TD and guide helped arrange for a taxi to take us to and bring us back from the nearby Unfinished Obelisk quarry- it worked out perfectly.