Options

Tipping

2»

Comments

• Options

kfnknfzk
    We will be taking our first Tauck small ship cruise this fall. Im not sure what to expect as far as level of service
    from the crew. We'll see.

I think you should expect the same level of service that you're use to on the riverboat.

From room cleaning, to dining room, to bar service people we've always had great service on the small ships. The dining room and bar staff is more visible, since they provide their service when you're present. That isn't always the case for the cleaning staff.

• Options

Thank you.

• Options

20% of a typical tour these days can be $2000.

• Options

I also needed eye drops with cortisone and the TD directed us where to go on a Sunday.

• Options
    edited August 2022

We are on the October 17 Sicily tour (the website lists it as the 17th) - it is advertised as 10 days. Ourr documents had the following (the first time I have seen the math actually spelled out:)

We ask that you extend gratuities on an individual basis rather than as a group, and we offer the following guidelines to assist you in determining an appropriate amount: USD $10 per traveler, per day for the Tauck Director for a total of USD $100 per traveler for the tour. USD $7 per traveler, per day for the driver for a total of USD $70 per traveler for the tour.

What is confusing about this is that we don't see the driver the first and last days. and based in the published itinerary, we are not driven on day 9. Maybe this was lazy editing but I think they were trying to clarify the expectations?

• Options
    edited August 2022

Cathy, on the 4 land tours we've taken the TD did eat with the group the last night. Other meals they didn't.

On our Normandy/Brittany - a group of 9 - one night we had one table of all the women including the TD and the other table were all the men with the bus driver. That was different and fun. She also joined 3 of us for lunch one day at the art museum in Giverny. It was an experience as she spoke fluent French and ordered escargot. It came and half the snail shells were empty. She sent them back complaining of this and a new plate arrived - also with missing snails. Along with the toughest beef I've ever attempted to eat, that's why I don't recommend eating there on the day the tour visits Monet's garden.

• Options

gladysorlando984
    it will save me from carrying large amounts of cash.

I believe you are a solo traveler (apologies if I'm wrong). Doing the math, for a 10 day tour, you need $100. There may be additional for tours where Tauck doesn't tip the bus driver and we're expected to.

Do you consider $100-200 a lot of money to carry? Hell, that's like one trip to the grocery store these days. (Yes, I usually pay with cash).

• Options
    edited August 2022

I use a credit card whenever I can for air miles apart from the convenience. On cards you can get an extra year of a guarantee on an item and you have a permanent record of your purchase on line so you don’t have to keep every receipt. It’s a waste of gas to go to a bank for cash. And in fact our bank’s ATM, someone was robbed getting money out in broad daylight within the past couple of years, yes in our little village.
    $100 is a lot of money to me!

• Options

Maybe I should use a credit card in the supermarket for that 1 year guarantee. The milk I buy never lasts that long! :)

• Options

My sister & I will be taking our first Tauck land-based tour (ESW) next month, after a river cruise in April, where all tips were included in the cost. This thread, therefore, was really timely & helpful. Both of us agree that we would much prefer that the trip be all-inclusive, with no obligation/expectation of an additional payment. Yes, if, for example, a TD or bus driver goes above & beyond, a monetary expression of appreciation is appropriate. Otherwise, how about if Tauck just pays its employees? I find the note that: "gratuities represent the majority of your Tauck Director's compensation" is truly a sad commentary on the company's policies.

• Options

LindaB - I totally disagree with you. The model is a combination of salary and tips. It obviously works as so many of the TDs have been with Tauck for many years. If they go to an all inclusive, no problem. But to accuse Tauck of underpaying their employees with, what I suspect, is no actual proof on your part, is irresponsible.

• Options
    edited August 2022

So Linda, you realize that tips are not included on the ESW tour? Most Tauck TD’s have been with Tauck for many many years. There is huge competition to work for them, same with bus drivers. Many tour companies pay less and expect their TD’s to make extra commission by promoting extra site seeing. We used to take package tours years ago in England, you wouldn’t believe the push they give you about these extra. Just this morning, I was reading on the Points Guy that one of the cruise lines was upping there tips to $16-50 a day and apparently Princess who Tauck partners with charges $14-50
    I still wish tips were included

• Options

Other companies also let the TD take you to places to shop and then the vendor gives the TD a kickback. That's one reason Tauck TDs don't make a point of taking you places to shop. They'll answer questions if you are trying to find something but otherwise it's not really featured.

• Options
    edited August 2022

My only tour experience is with Rick Steves. The guides (what Tauck calls TD) are excellent and his retention is high. There is no shopping, no kickbacks. Tipping of the guides, both main guide and local guides, and bus drivers is prohibited. Our guides have been uniformly excellent and I’ve witnessed them going the extra mile on many occasions; illness and injury’s, need to return home due to family emergencies, etc. On our Greece tour we had several teens. The bus driver acted as unofficial chaperone each night while we slept. (Me: Georgio how was it last night? Georgio: Don’t ask.) Anyway it can and does work. The guide dines with the group as well as the driver. I’m looking forward to 1st Tauck tour but the tipping, not so much.

• Options
    edited August 2022

When you think about it, the only differences are when and how much you tip- in one case you essentially pay at the time you make final payment (because, though you may not know it, it is assuredly included in the guide's compensation (you just don't know the amount) or in the case of Tauck, at the end of the tour and you get to choose the amount and can reward superior performance or not.

It is a personal preference thing. To some it is an inconvenience but it doesn't bother me. In either case you are not required to figure out what is appropriate and you don't need to feel awkward if you don't think you are giving enough or if you are intentionally tipping less, don't put your name on the envelope! :D The TD doesn't open the envelopes and count the money in front of everyone nor post a tally sheet! :D