Options

No curiling irons allowed on cruise ship through Scottish Isles???

I just discovered that the French ship that sails on the Scottish isles cruise does not allow curling irons. Even with a blow dryer (which the ship provides), I still need a curling iron or I might as well wear a ball cap the entire time. Has anyone gone on this cruise and how strick are they about this? Do they allow cordless curling irons?

Comments

• Options

I feel your pain. I also will be upset because we are booked with them in 2024. Keep us posted

• Options

That's a first. Never heard of anything so crazy. That would 100% prevent me from booking with them!!

• Options

In the Tauck packing list for this cruise they say that curling irons and clothes irons are not permitted for safety reasons. I've been on Tauck river cruises where they didn't want you to use them either. Not sure if it was for safety or power supply issues or both.

With the humidity and likely regular breezes on that cruise I'd likely being wearing a hat most of the time anyway no matter what I did to it at the beginning of the day.

• Options

I have used a curling iron on Tauck river cruises. I bought an iron with a European plug. It fits the socket in the bath room . I have also bought wire rollers and used them in damp hair . Then I used the dryer . Works like old fashion curlers. Better than nothing.

• Options

Claudia Sails
    5:59PM
    In the Tauck packing list for this cruise they say that curling irons and clothes irons are not permitted for safety reasons. I've been on Tauck river cruises where they didn't want you to use them either. Not sure if it was for safety or power supply issues or both.

Choc
    6:36PM
    I have used a curling iron on Tauck river cruises. I bought an iron with a European plug. It fits the socket in the bath room . . .

You are not allowed to use high wattage devices like curling and clothes irons in staterooms for safety reasons that include:

• The receptacles, regardless of US or Euro style are not equipped to handle the high current required by irons
    • Even many of the supplied hairdryers are hard-wired so they can't be plugged in just anywhere.
    • I do not believe the ships have GFCI outlets that are required for receptacles near water in the US.
    • Ships are made from steel which conducts electricity very well and makes it so much easier to get electrocuted
    • Despite being made of steel, fire is extremely dangerous on a ship.
    • If you use a typical US made 115 volt iron with a foreign plug adapter so "it fits" and you plug it into a foreign 220v outlet- you will fry the iron, let the smoke out, and possibly start a fire. I'm sure if you do so, you'll be invited to leave. :o
    • etc.
    • etc.
    • etc.
  • Options

Yes, all true Alan. On most all of our tours women”s hair does not exactly look it’s best. Does anyome really care. I do like to look presentable, so make the effort. But the best thing I have done was a few months ago, when I finally decided to have my hair cut much shorter. I wash it, dry it in about two minutes and it probably looks better than anyone else’s on this tour, but then I put my sun hat on so it does really matter.

• Options

I know that some women bring easy to wear wigs instead of bringing electrical curling irons or flat irons etc. it actually sounds like a good idea.

• Options

Alan, I don't know any men who need a curling iron. All your comments are true and I appreciate them. But I have been on four cruises with Tauck and each time I took a curling iron that adapted to the European voltage and plugs. I used it sparingly mostly so I could look nice at night while dining and attending other functions. I really don't wish to wear a hat the entire time.

• Options

I’m not sure I understand your original question now Ada, have you been on a small ship cruise or on the river cruises?

• Options

Ada, you don't mention which type of Tauck cruises you've been on - river, small ship or both. We've only done river cruises and the Tauck packing lists haven't mentioned curling irons BUT on at least two occasions once on the ship the binder of info left in our cabin did mention not using heated hair appliances like curling irons.

• Options

Alan said it best and why would someone use an appliance that they've been asked not to use?

• Options

Ada_Cockroft
    8:05AM
    Alan, I don't know any men who need a curling iron. All your comments are true and I appreciate them. But I have been on four cruises with Tauck and each time I took a curling iron that adapted to the European voltage and plugs. . . .

Ada,

With the weather (heat, humidity, salt, wind, etc.) often encountered on cruises, I truly understand the need for something to help control or repair a hairdo. I also know it is possible for a person to safely use certain high wattage hair care devices on ships.

But the rules are/were written, mainly by the ship designers, engineers, owners, maritime regulatory agencies, and insurance underwriters for everyone, because they don't know whose device is safe or who will always use it safely. I would bet that few Tauck travelers understand or can explain the relationship between voltage, current, wattage, wire gauge, and how they apply to devices with resistive heating elements like hair dryers and irons. As I said above, despite being made of steel, fire is extremely dangerous on a ship.

Finally, what do you tell the CD/TD or ship's hotel manager if you are discovered and reported by the ship's staff using a prohibited device, or even worse, if an accident, damage, or conflagration occurs by you doing so. It is just not worth the risk.

• Options

Buy a butane curling iron. They are allowed in carryons on planes. And, please don’t stare at us girls who look like we have seen better days when we show up for dinner .

• Options

This is vital to know as my hair is such that I have used a curling iron daily for decades. NEVER would I consider being w/o it. Went on an AK cruise last summer with a curling iron. Now we know never to book a Tauck cruise unless you have wash and wear hair.

• Options

Here's a solution. Go with the no curling iron required look. :D

• Options

Justme - Glad to know you have decided not to book a cruise with Tauck since you obviously don’t care about putting others at danger.

• Options
    edited March 2023

If appropriate, don't forget to end a post with /s which is shorthand for satire. :D

Granted the fires were not started by curling irons, but if anyone doubts fire is dangerous aboard ships, read about Windstar's Wind Song (a steel motor sailing yacht and sister ship to Wind Star used by Tauck). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_Song_(ship)

or USS Bonhomme Richard in July 2020.

• Options

Sam your picture needs about 50 years on her

• Options

Choc, maybe not 50 years, but several more years. :D

• Options

LOL

• Options

Category seven on.Tauck’s river boats have irons and ironing boards. Other than that, on our fifty or so cruises ‘heating’ appliances like curling irons and electric curlers and irons are prohibited.

• Options

I guess they were either hard-wired to suitable sources of power or they just don't trust the folks in steerage! :o:D

• Options

In steerage you can borrow an iron and ironing board from housekeeping. Thankfully never needed to. 😎

• Options
    edited April 2023

A curling iron is probably about 1,000 watts. At 220 volts, that's about 4.5 amps. I would think that just about any 220-volt outlet would handle 4.5 amps. I suspect that the reason for the prohibition is that use of the irons probably occurs at predictable times, such as when people are getting ready in the morning. While the drain in any one cabin is not large, it may put a large load on the power system of the ship.

But hair dryers (blowers) are also about 1,000 watts (maybe as much as 1,500 watts) and they have one of them in each cabin and those are used at a predictable time, so loading of the ship's power may not be the reason for their prohibition.

In the US, most homes are wired with 14-gauge wire for outlets, and I doubt if they use smaller wire on a boat. Most multidrop circuits in the US use 20-amp breakers with that 14 gauge wire.

I suppose they could be afraid of fire, in case someone left a curling iron on top of flammable material. That, and to a lesser extent, the load on the ship's power grid seem like the only reasons to prohibit their use.

[Another thought on the load on the ship's power. Someone using a curling iron is likely letting it heat up while using the hair dryer so that would double the load. I don't know much about how people use those things, since I don't have a lot of hair :) ]

• Options

My last Tauck land tour and river cruise was the Milan to Amsterdam. I used a small travel iron and a curling iron which automatically convert to the current available in my cabin. I was extremely careful and usually ironed my clothes on a towel which was placed on the bed. Taking a long shower creates a great deal of steam which is a great substitute for an iron if you choose not to use the one provided. The curling iron had a timer and automatically turned off after about 10 minutes. I only use it for Tauck tours and it’s stored in my suitcase until the next trip. Ask your hair stylist to recommend ways to curl your hair with a hair dryer and a brush.

• Options

My stylist told me about hair putty. L’Oreal has a very nice product to be applied at the roots for more body.

• Options

Plaintiff's lawyer: "Do you have an electrical engineering degree from a recognized university?"
    Defendant: "No"
    Plaintiff's lawyer: "Did you read the ship's safety regulations?"
    Defendant: "No.
    "Plaintiff's lawyer: "Did you know irons were prohibited on the ship?"
    Defendant: "No."
    Plaintiff's lawyer: "Didn't you read the ship's safety regulations?"
    Plaintiff's lawyer: "So, you had no idea using an iron was unsafe?"
    Plaintiff's lawyer: "Plaintiff would like to enter into evidence, the following transcript from the Tauck Travel Forums"
    Defendant: "Uh, oh!"
    :D:D

• Options

Hilarious Alan.