Emily in Paris - watch for the sites

In the interests of starting a new topic, I'll repeat one I started over on Rick Steves forum about this new Netflix series. Lots to criticize about it - stereotypical characters, fantasy locations, unrealistically little traffic, etc. In fact you can read all of that over on the other forum. Not surprisingly Parisians have been very critical. However, I still think it's amusing and love seeing the Paris locations and dream of our trip next year.

One particular site I'd never heard of was Atelier des Lumières. In the show Emily visits it while a Van Gogh exhibit was on. Sadly they've changed to other artists but someone posted a lonely planet link that it's coming to Indianapolis next year. Lucky you guys.

As I did on the other forum I'm sure I'll get beat up here as well for recommending this fluff. Just remember it's calorie free and zero political ads.

Comments

• Claudia - I watched the series. Not realistic; however, I really enjoyed it. It was light and refreshing and a few of the men were a treat for the eyes. I enjoyed the fashion. It's not very likely women in the USA dress that way for work; however, I have a very good friend who is Parisian and her clothing choices are very cutting edge-- my friend works in Advertising focused on fashion Industry. Her style of dress is expected and accepted. No backlash from me B)

• For a bit of a travel fix, the latest season of The Amazing Race started last night (filmed before March).

• I would have been eliminated from the Amazing Race last night if I had to play those steel drums in Trinidad. Playing musical instruments and carrying a tune are definitely not in my wheelhouse. :D

• Sam - I thought it was funny how the goats were dragging everyone except the Olympian who outran it.

• I think the show is really cute and a guilty pleasure I but would never base my sightseeing plans on anything from there. This thread is a bit dated at this point and the Van Gogh Lumiere exhibit has been all over. Just have to say, it seems like a bastardization of his work but because he never sold a piece of his art he would probably be thrilled!

• Claudia Sails, Hi
    I watch the series... it's a chick flick, silly too... but I like it! I love the city and the fashion.
    Ah, also the young Chef. Gabriel. (Lucas Bravo)

• Yes, it's definitely fluff but fun. Actually the Van Gogh show is here in my hometown now.

• Claudia Sails HI
    The Van Gogh immerse experience is fantastic, don't missed.

• There were originally two Van Gogh exhibits doing the rounds, one did not get good reviews. I’m not sure which was the one we went around but I did not think it was that wonderful, my friend did. The last room with all the projections around was fun, but the rest….I think it all depends whether you have been to the Van Gogh museum In Amsterdam or seen other exhibits of his real paintings may influence what you think. Whatever your thoughts, the organizers are making a ton of money from it!

• That’s probably my dilemma…I can’t bring myself to go to the “immersive” since I’ve been to that Van Gogh museum 4 times…it seems to get bigger every time but it is the ultimate Van Gogh experience IMHO.

• Thru several tours Tauck has pretty well saturated me in Van Gogh. Arles, Auvers-sur-Oise, Kroller-Muller museum and the Van Gogh museum Amsterdam. The last was on our own.

I love how Emily's Paris is so free of traffic, construction, etc. Traffic has gotten awful there especially for tour buses which are limited in which lanes they can use and where they can park. There is also a lot of refurbishing going on getting ready for the Olympics 2024. If you go in the next year or so be prepared for lots of scaffolding. I'd like to go back just after the Olympics. It all ought to be so lovely then.

• I agree that viewing Van Gogh in the museums is preferential, but I believe the immersive exhibits are a great way to expose children to the fine arts, as well as giving the opportunity to those who do not have the means to travel.

• milmil
    edited March 2022

I've been at he Van Gogh museum , the Rijksmuseum, The Rembrandt house AMS.- Rembrandt museum in Antwerp Belgium , The Hermitage in St. Petersburg, Louvre , Musee d'orsay, Museum modern art all in Paris, Prado Museum.. and many more...
    The VG experience may not be like a visit to any of the above, but still nice and well put together and always a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The concept of this exhibition is to bring art and culture to those that cannot afford to travel and be expose to art. I believe that with the lack of culture we are facing this days.. it is a great project.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file