Is Iceland 2021 still a possibility???

It looks like Iceland has been removed from Tauck's "Open for Travel" page. The first 3 tours in 2021 had been sold out and now they say available. We are booked on the June 30 departure. Has anyone heard anything? I did get an updated airline itinerary a couple of days ago so that's a little encouraging.

Comments

• We received an airline update and the next day our tour was canceled. It wasn’t Iceland however it seems the two are disconnected. Hope that your Iceland trip is a go. We have friends anxiously waiting.

• Tauck has said that they are working with Ponant and that we should hear more mid-April (I'm also on the June 30th departure). I’d expect another update by May 1st.

• They now say they expect to make a decision the week or the 26th (this week). I'm optimistic for my June 23rd departure since Ponant is showing their three June trips to Iceland as confirmed and fully booked. My flights were updated last week also.

• Yay! Great news from Tauck today - Iceland is a go - just a different ship. I'm ready to pack my bags. @Smiling Sam I look forward to meeting you in Iceland.

• A follow up to kpetzelt. Here was the email received.

Dear Tauck Guest,

Here’s the news you have been waiting for! We’re thrilled to let you know that Iceland is now open for travel and we will operate your upcoming cruise as scheduled. We look forward to welcoming you back and making your travel dreams come true in one of Europe’s most stunning destinations!

First, we want to inform you that we will now be sailing aboard Ponant’s Explorer ship Le Dumont D’Urville instead of Le Jacques Cartier as originally published. As sister ships, they each offer the same onboard experience and differ in name only.

While our day-to-day cruise itinerary has not changed since you booked your cruise, there are a few updates we need to share with you. They reflect current CDC guidelines and travel requirements mandated by Iceland and our ship partner that are applicable to all Tauck guests without exception. For everyone’s safety, we will adhere to evolving local government and commercial health and safety protocols, including the proper use of face masks, social distancing and sanitation. We thank you for your cooperation in following the policies and procedures set out below:
    All travelers are required to pre-register online at visit.covid.is before departing for Iceland. Pre-registration does not constitute a travel authorization.
    All guests ages 16 and older must be fully vaccinated 14 days before arriving in Iceland to sail aboard our Ponant ship.
    Travelers must present a government-issued certificate, such as the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card, indicating full COVID 19 vaccination (14 days since receiving the final dose) for entry into Iceland. Iceland accepts currently approved US and EU vaccines.
    At this time, all travelers must undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival in Iceland, and quarantine until results are available (up to one day). However please note that this is intended to be a temporary measure and may be removed in June.
    Our cruise partner may also administer a COVID-19 test to guests at the pier prior to embarkation. There will be no cost for the test. A negative test result is required to board.
    Vaccinated American travelers will still need a negative COVID-19 test to return to the US. These tests will be available aboard ship at an additional cost of $150 per person.
    Your health and safety remains our number one priority while you are traveling with us. We recommenAd that you learn more about what we have done to prepare for your travel, including our health and safety protocols, travel requirements, and frequently asked questions, by visiting our Travel and Health pages on tauck.com . This information is important and updated on a frequent basis.

We know you likely have additional questions about what to expect on your cruise. We are in the process of finalizing trip details with our supplier partners now. Closer to your departure date, we will email your personal travel documents that will include the following: a detailed day-by-day itinerary, packing list, arrival transfer details, and other relevant travel information. Please make sure you review these documents carefully prior to your trip.

Your final payment is due by May 14, 2021. Should you wish to change your departure date, we have space available in late June and July. If so, please call soon so we can update your travel plans.

As we eagerly re-start travel operations, please know that our team is working tirelessly to ensure that your cruise runs seamlessly and we deliver the peace of mind you expect when traveling with Tauck. While we cannot predict or prevent events outside of our control, we have learned to expect the unexpected. We know there will be twists and turns along this journey and are prepared to adjust as we go. We hope that you will share this spirit of adventure with us as we look forward to exploring the world again!

Before you know it, we will be welcoming you onboard Le Dumont D’Urville. Until then, pack your dreams for an unforgettable expeditionary cruise and get set to enjoy the best Iceland has to offer. We can’t wait to see you!

Sincerely,

The Team at Tauck

• Smiling Sam - what a wonderful letter!! I can’t wait to hearing your full report...the next weeks will pass fast knowing your trip is on schedule!

• NancyCohen - I'm so excited to have a trip that has been booked, paid for, cancelled, rebooked, repaid for again FINALLY get the go ahead (knock on wood) after waiting for two years since the original booking.

• Amd yet, I just received this STEP EMAIL

Reconsider travel to Iceland due to COVID-19 related restrictions.

Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Iceland due to COVID-19, indicating a high level of COVID-19 in country. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into Iceland. Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Iceland.

Read the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Iceland:

See the U.S. Embassy's web page regarding COVID-19.
    Visit the CDC's webpage on Travel and COVID-19
    Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
    Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
    Review the Crime and Safety Report for Iceland.
    U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler's Checklist.

• I'm jealous! We should have been headed for Greece in a tad over 3 weeks. :(

• I’ve never had a STEP for Iceland and was surprised to see it. Have a great time Sam.
    We arrived for our first vacation in over a year today. Our room overlooks the sea. We’ve been to the winery and walked the broad walk, now a nap before dinner. Wow, is life returning to normality!

• British - I know it's a typo, but I want to be where you are and go on the BROAD walk! :D

Enjoy your vacation.

• $150 seems pretty steep for a Covid test

• Careful Sam. You’re libel to get flagged for such a remark. 😆

• Smiling Sam, I’m always calling it the broad walk, which of course is incorrect, never heard of a boardwalk until I came to the US apart from that song that has the chorus in it that I always thought was broad walk.....but then I am only a humble swimsuit model 😂

• @BKMD In GA, $150 is the going rate for a COVID test.

• edited April 2021

Prior to our Jamaica trip, the Seattle contingent paid $175 for their COVID test. In Tucson, ours was free. The ability to find a cheap or free test, to some extent, is your ability/willingness to travel around the area and be flexible with respect to time.

It can be very frustrating and adds risk to any trip - will the results get back in time and will they be negative. All of the testing sights that I’ve seen say results should be back within 48 hours, but I haven’t found one that guarantees it.

The $150 fee being charged is the cost of doing business(traveling) and worth it to have a know quantity that meets the requirements without having the nightmarish task of having to arrange on your own. I’m not sure what the protocol would be if you get a positive for COVID result when tested on the boat prior to your return to the states. Also if you were planning to spend an extra couple days at the end of the trip how do you get your test? Lots of possibilities and questions.

• For us, depending on the destination, we feel staying on at the end of the tour isn’t worth the hassle of getting a test any more. One thing for sure, if you are found positive on the boat, I’d think they would kick you off or throw you over the side ASAP!

• kpetzelt
    @BKMD In GA, $150 is the going rate for a COVID test.

I believe it, but it still seems like a lot, considering millions are being run every week.

• I'm less concerned about the cost than the turn around time. Had a test this morning -knee surgery scheduled for Friday - and asked how soon the results would be known and was told 1-4 days. Hopefully that was overly pessimistic this close to the surgery.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file