Camera and the heat

We are scheduled on the August 29, 2021 tour. I know that it will be very hot. Has anyone had a problem with their camera malfunctioning because of the heat? My camera instructions say to avoid excessive heat but there are a lot of pictures of the area if cameras blowup.
I am also curious about the restroom facilities. Besides the hotels and restaurants with western style restrooms, are the accommodations likely to be hole in the floor at the various sites? Restrooms are my only concern with this trip as I am a bit prissy. Otherwise I find the cultural differences the most interesting. (We have done 13 trips with Tauck including KT & Peru/Galapagos so we aren't novices.) We have had this tour cancelled 2 times so we are really looking forward to it. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• edited July 2021

The first response to my Google query was: "Officially the operating temperature is 0 to 40°C (32 to 104°F). But products can usually sustain a higher temperature without any ill effects in the non-operating or off state." Remember, manufacturers often pad their specs by wide margins- while it may say 104°F, it will probably operate just fine at temperatures well above that.

I assume you are talking about a digital camera- film is a whole different ball of wax. It is more than just the film itself, film cameras have mechanical shutters that must operate precisely. Professional photogs often shoot in temp extremes that can easily exceed 104° F- shooting in the desert, Death Valley, shooting volcanoes up close, etc. I'm sure you would never do it because you will have the camera with you to take photos, but to be safe, I wouldn't leave your camera on the bus or anyplace in direct sunlight.

If your body can handle the heat, I'm sure your camera can! :D Also, if you look at the daily schedules, many times you are back on the boat during the heat of the day for lunch and a few hours, like in Luxor- I'm sure this is intentional.

The only place we have ever come across a restroom with "high drop" facilities was at the border crossing between Tanzania and Kenya. The ladies were relieved to find out that place also had standard toilets. I don't think you'll need to worry at the places Tauck will stop. The bus/TD will also likely have hand sanitizer and wipes, etc. At the Belmond Sanctuary hotel at Machu Picchu we didn't like how you disposed of used toilet paper- that is common in some areas of the world that don't have modern sewer pipes and treatment plants.

Unfortunately you may experience temps as high as 104° in both Aswan and Luxor. From Weather Spark:

Average Weather on September 3 in Aswan Egypt

On September 3, the temperature in Aswan typically ranges from 81°F to 104°F and is rarely below 77°F or above 109°F.
    For reference, on August 1, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Aswan typically range from 83°F to 107°F, while on January 15, the coldest day of the year, they range from 51°F to 73°F.
    The coolest time of the day is from 1:45 AM to 8:30 AM, with the coldest at 6:15 AM, at which time the temperature is below 83°F three days out of four, and below 86°F nine days out of ten.
    The warmest time of the day is from 12:30 PM to 7:15 PM, with the hottest at 3:45 PM, at which time the temperature is above 102°F three days out of four, and above 99°F nine days out of ten.
    The day has gained half its heat by 10:15 AM and lost it again by 10:00 PM.

Average Weather on September 6 in Luxor Egypt
    On September 6, the temperature in Luxor typically ranges from 76°F to 102°F and is rarely below 72°F or above 107°F.
    For reference, on June 29, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Luxor typically range from 78°F to 105°F, while on January 18, the coldest day of the year, they range from 45°F to 72°F.
    The coolest time of the day is from 2:00 AM to 8:15 AM, with the coldest at 6:15 AM, at which time the temperature is below 78°F three days out of four, and below 81°F nine days out of ten.
    The warmest time of the day is from 12:30 PM to 6:30 PM, with the hottest at 3:45 PM, at which time the temperature is above 99°F three days out of four, and above 97°F nine days out of ten.
    The day has gained half its heat by 10:00 AM and lost it again by 8:45 PM.

I'm looking forward to your post-tour report. Take good notes! :) Our third attempt isn't until Mar '22.

• Lovestotravel……just don’t go to India! There are other counties where we have experienced squat toilets but I can’t remedy which. In the old days when we visited France a lot, there were many squat toilets.

• I don’t remember any squat toilets in India - but I will never forget the squat at the Vatican (in the 1970’s) and in Hong Kong only a few years ago at the Big Buddha …even on K&T after the hot air balloon, they improvised a lovely sit-down situation.

• In Jordan at Petra, there were facilities at lunch restaurant, and also at a tea break for us.

• mazalea
    11:16AM
    In Jordan at Petra, there were facilities at lunch restaurant, and also at a tea break for us.

Do you mean "facilities" (wink, wink) or true modern facilities?

• loves2travel2I am so excited you will take your trip in August. Please Please Please provide as much feedback as you can. I'm scheduled for December 2021 but i am seriously considering changing to December 2022....I really want to see the GEM and I have very little confidence it will be open this year.

• Your camera should be fine. Just don't leave it sitting in the sun for prolonged periods. Also, don't take dozens of shots in burst mode on a hot day.

• Please keep us posted on your adventure..we are on the September 5 departure. Very much looking forward to an amazing adventure

• Thanks for all the comments. I'll be sure to do a post trip review.

• edited July 2021

In some respects, heat is easier to deal with as on polar trips I've kept extra batteries inside my parka because cold reduces their effectiveness greatly. The biggest concern I've had on (very) hot trips is dust. I won't change lenses while out on safari or in out and about in Egypt (I routinely use an {effective} 24-400 zoom). Only when back in camp/room if I feel the environment is safe.

But, in both environments, no problems if you follow some of the suggestions posted in this thread.

We'll be doing this trip in ) October 2022, so very interested in your upcoming report.

• milmil
    edited July 2021

LOVE IT!!!! we are finally talking travel stuff, camera gear, restroom facilities , restaurants, heat- no heat etc.....What to wear....Hat or no Hat Yes!!!! I'm going Sept. 22nd.
    :) _

• I concur mil - though I pass on the camera worrys since I just use my phone. But lots of other travel gear to think of right now. Just ordered new combo luggage locks as ours were getting a bit frayed. The new ones have bigger spin dials for older eyes to read and even have an indicator whether TSA has opened the bag. Also got a new scale since our old one died last week right after new batteries were inserted. Now if I can just get a magic weather predictor so I know what clothing to pack.

• milmil
    edited July 2021

Claudia Sails you sound ready :)))) I'm starting to separate the clothing I'm taking, my camera bag is ready and the shoes are getting worn to stretch them a little- my box of masks 50. is in and also a box of surgical gloves
    where are you headed?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file