Multi-way charger

There was discussion recently on multi-way chargers/adaptors. I bought the one that Alan S put a photo of on the forum. This is it’s first outing and it has performed well, charging as many as four things at a time. I think we like it better than our old ‘Monster’ brand charger. This one has a much longer cord and I think it’s lighter and easier to pack. We did not find any of the negatives mentioned on reviews

Comments

• British- Thanks for the Op check! Were there just two 120VAC receptacles or were there two more on the back side (total of 4)?

• Alan, everything’s is on one side. It works great.

• edited October 2021

British
    4:06PM
    Alan, everything’s is on one side. It works great.

One thing I feel is almost as important as the USB ports and receptacles is a cord that stows on the power strip like your new one and the old Monster.

• edited October 2021

OK - What is the benefit of getting one of these - VS - just taking 2 adapters?
    All we charge nightly is our phone and an adapter is MUCH smaller and lighter than this MultWay Charger.
    What all is everyone charging that you need this? I feel we are missing something - I'm tempted to get one, but not sure why we need it?
    And I assume you have to plug this into a European adapter?

• I bought one. We are sometimes charging two phones and two iPads. Another advantage is that some hotels only have one or two outlets in out of the way places. With this you only need to have one outlet.

• edited October 2021

Terrilynn - If you only charge a single item, your phone, then you don’t need one. This is for people that need to charge/operate multiple devices at the same time. If there are two in the room it’s easy to envision needing to charge multiple phones, perhaps an iPad or laptop, perhaps some camera battery chargers, etc. If this is the case then this type of device can be useful. And yes, you still need the proper adapter if US power isn’t available.

• edited October 2021

I have one because we charge a phone, iPad, kindle and a camera battery. There often aren’t enough outlets and then we need just one adapter.

• Terrilyn, we just use adapters too though we have multiple - in part because my husband isn't particularly organized and forgets where he puts them in his luggage. We only charge smart phones and occasionally our ereaders and fitbits.

Did find a good use for the one I got years ago that has a thin blue light around it when plugged it. It makes a great nightlight. In both France and Switzerland most bathrooms had a European plug that we could use.
    Though it wasn't needed at the hotel in Interlaken which had motion sensor night lights. Not a fan.

• We charge 2 phones. 2 iPads, 2 cameras and this trip, we had a laptop too.
    Some of the older hotels and Safari tents etc, don’t have many easily accessible outlets. We would never be without ours. This one is 5.98 x 1.97 x 1.38 inches and is lightweight. We much prefer it to our older one. We general carry all our chargers in our carry on luggage.
    This one does not have the blue light like our old one, some people found that annoying anyway, we didn’t

• Two iPhones, two ipads, Bose headphones, Fitbit, DSLR battery, GoPro battery- not necessarily all one time, but saves on taking multiple power modules and multiple adapters, and everything can be located in one place- less likely you'll leave an adapter and/or power module behind.

Like the one British has, our old Monster brand power strip had a very bright blue pilot light. It was great indicator the power strip was getting power. Otherwise you may never notice a plug adapter had pulled loose. It was bad if you like to sleep in the dark, so I covered most of it up with a piece of black electrical tape. :D

• Thanks everyone - we don't travel with iPads - only iPhones, phone chargers and BOSE headsets (which we really only need for the flights and we rarely use the 'noise canceling' feature, so we rarely charge it). Does anyone have the LINK for the above pictured charger that BRITISH posted? I will go ahead and get one. Thanks everyone!!

• edited October 2021

Terrilynn- the are bajillion similar models on Amazon. Reviews are all over the place. I believe British is the only one of the regular posters to have tested the UPWADE model at Sam's link . There may be better ones.

I think the benefits of the UPWADE are that it has four USB-A ports, two surge-protected outlets, and the cord and plug stow securely. However, even though the cord on the UPWADE is longer than other models I have previously posted about, you don't need to uncoil it. The plug can be left hooked to the case so you can plug it in and it will hang by the plug from the wall outlet without straining or stretching the cord. That is, of course, if the plug is snug in the foreign adapter and the adapter is snug in the wall receptacle- many aren't, especially the multi-country adapters, and will just come un-plugged and fall out.

FYI, though no longer available, here is a photo of the Monster Outlets to Go, brand, travel strip many of us started with. It is no longer available but was very sturdy, yet compact, and had a grounded plug and four receptacles. It didn't have USB ports and the cord was very short:

As I said, Amazon has tons of travel power strips. If you want one that has a shorter cord with a grounded plug, 2 receptacles, 3 USB-A ports, and is slightly more compact like the old Monster, check out the one I am considering by NTONPOWER.

Techie info, if you care :D : Neither UPWADE nor NTONPOWER have fast charge technology USB ports. The total output of the USB ports for both NTON (15 watts) and UPWADE (21 watts) is slightly higher than older Apple iPad (12 watts) and iPhone (5 watts) power modules, however . . . . . if you plug the max number of devices into the USB ports, the individual port wattage drops to only 5 watts for both power strips. So, depending on the number of devices being charged, they may not charge as fast as they would have with their own power module and AC outlet. I don't think that is much of a concern since you are likely only to be charging at night. Before I make my final decision, I'm going to continue to look for a power strip with higher USB power (wattage) output if available.

Update: FYI- in British's photo, that is an Apple 20 watt USB-C power module plugged into one of the 120V receptacles. That is one obvious solution if you have a device (or induction changing pad) with fast charge capability that uses a USB-C cord. Of course, that defeats one of the purposes of having a power strip with USB ports. Another issue is that if you do have a power strip with a high wattage USB-C port and decide to leave your module at home, you may need to take your power strip on the plane since I think most, if not all, aircraft only have USB-A ports and no USB-C ports. The power strips I've found so far that meet most of my criteria have a few cons, mainly too large and/or too expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/NTONPOWER-Outlets-Extension-Nightstand-Conference/dp/B072N854DK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KUP967ALLXY1&dchild=1&keywords=monster+outlets+to+go+3&qid=1633285745&sprefix=Monster+Outlets+to+go,electronics,234&sr=8-3

• edited October 2021

Be aware that most cruise ships prohibit extension strips like this IF they have surge protection included.

(edited for typo)

• Most hotel flat screen TVs in Europe have a USB port in the back/side panel. I did not know this until several years ago!

• edited October 2021

On one of our recent cruises we only had one 120 outlet, even though it was a multi-room suite. We requested some help with this and they brought us a power strip. I guess it did not have surge protection. Perhaps it is best to only use the USB ports on the power strip.