Trip Report Jewels of the Nile October 2021

13»

Comments

• AlanS
    but did you drive a bit further south to neighboring Dahshur and get close to any of the pyramids
    there (Bent Pyramid, Red Pyramid, Black Pyramid, etc.) or did you just view them from afar?

They intended to, but those sites were infested with the killer scorpions so they had to keep their distance!! :D

• The ones I was talking about are in Saqqara/Dahshur. :D

• Lotusgirl
    Thank you so much for this trip review. Im scheduled for the March 2022 trip and have been checking this forum regularly for info from past travelers. This trip is a little out of my comfort zone so hearing your report was so helpful. A question - at any time did you feel uncomfortable or a little unsafe? Thanks.

• LisaTravels - I never felt that my personal safety was at risk. There is a guard on the bus for all of the tours, although it probably is not necessary.
    The security in the Egyptian airports was very tight. As soon as you walk in, you and your carryon and luggage go through a metal detector and everyone is frisked. The women are frisked by a female, and she barely touches you. Be sure to have everything out of your pockets, and take your watch off ahead of time. After checking in, there is a similar security check (with frisking), but this time you also had to take your shoes off. The third screening consisted of checking your ticket.
    Toward the end of the trip, as we were encountering more people at temples and the Egyptian museum, everyone became more diligent about wearing masks in enclosed spaces, walking past vendors and near other people. I always wore a mask on the tour bus. The staff in the hotels and the boat wore masks and I wore a mask inside those venues unless at the table in the dining room or cocktail area.

• What a fantastic report LotusGirl. You just helped me make up my mind! Now that the GEM opening has been moved back-back-back we would have missed it on my October tour. I would have been so disappointed to have missed it. I've just moved it to February 2023. SURELY it will be opened by then and all the grand opening quirks will be worked out.

Since they are only offering 1 day at the GEM, we are going in 4 days early to have a full day on our own there. Touring 1 day in Alexandria, and a night dinner cruise on the Nile.

Now I have to find another tour for 2022!! YEAH!

• AustinGirl I'm certain the GEM will be open for your tour and I am truly looking forward to hearing all about it - so please report back on this sight upon your return.

That said, I considered delaying my trip for the chance to experience the GEM. I am so glad I did not as there are so many incredible sights in Egypt. Although I missed seeing the Solar Boat, I can honestly say I have no regrets on not seeing the contents on display in the GEM. The main artifacts of King Tut were still on display in the Old Egyptian Museum. I'm sure your tour will be SPECTACULAR!

• edited February 2022

AustinGirl
    3:27PM
    . . . . . SURELY it will be opened by then and all the grand opening quirks will be worked out.
    . . . . . Since they are only offering 1 day at the GEM, we are going in 4 days early to have a full day on our own there. Touring 1 day in Alexandria, and a night dinner cruise on the Nile.

Each year starting in 2020 I said something similar about the GEM! :/ How many times have they proven me wrong!?!? Maybe I'll get to see it in my next life!

Where did you see they are only "offering 1 day at the GEM?" I didn't see the GEM mentioned at all in any of the 2023 regular or small group J&E or Jewels itineraries?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file