Given current oil prices, do you still think it makes sense to book airfare a year out?

I have a trip scheduled for April 2023. Soon, the window will be open for booking airfare. I know some of you are strong proponents for booking as soon as it opens up. However, given the recent price increases due to oil and rising demand in travel, would you still do so, or would you wait several months to see where prices go?

Comments

• edited April 2022

We are more concerned with the constant flight cancellations than price right now.

• That, too, but waiting to book is no guarantee. I have a trip next month I only booked last month. My airline made a schedule change in the flights only a week after I booked it. Fortunately, it wasn't a cancellation or a big enough change to warrant new flights.

• edited April 2022

That is my policy for business class only. Now it is a toss up. Since they use so much of it, the airlines negotiate long-term fuel prices, but I have no idea how much in advance. I think you pays your price and takes your chances. :D We have not even started on 2023, still got two to go this year.

• I, too, have a trip booked for April 2023 and will be booking airfare through Tauck next month. I can't control what happens in the world, but I can control my budget, airline preferences, routes, seating and even flight numbers in some cases. I'm not sure yet which airline to fly with to Heathrow since it has been almost 25 years since I've been there. I have my preference, but I'll let Tauck give me my options.

I know some individuals like to book their own airfare. We are simply creatures of habit and prefer comfort and convenience above all else.

• I was looking at flights to Australia for 2023 and Delta does not even show any, also tried KLM.

• I start looking to book flights for any trip as soon as possible. As soon, as I find something that satisfies me for a combination of cost, time, airlines, airplanes, etc. I book it. Until I find something I keep looking a few times a week. So, for me, it’s a start looking as soon as possible philosophy to give myself the most time possible to find something.

• We book our air through Tauck. I may do my own research to get an idea of price, but for us it’s easier and more convenient to book through Tauck. We book as soon as we can once flights to our destination are available. We’ve already booked for Best of Hawaii in January 2023. The price is what it is, and we spend so much on these trips that we just suck it up and pay the cost for airfare whatever it happens to be.

• I like to look as far out as possible. For our upcoming Holland and Belgium in Spring trip, we booked kind of last minute and Tauck prices were comparable to what we could find. However, we thought both those prices were too high and paid Point.Me to find us good deals with miles. We’ve got a Viking Antarctica trip booked for Feb 2023. The Viking price RT Buenos Aires (biz class) was $4,500. We found an American flight for $2,550 so we booked it. We’ve got Peru and Galapagos in May 2023 and will check pricing as soon as it opens up, compare to the Tauck pricing, then look at what we can get for miles.

I think trying to figure out what oil prices/airfares are going to do is sort of like trying to time the stock market.

• We too usually book thru Tauck and have been told by them that if we find a better deal before payment we can change/cancel it. Right now I'm pretty glad I made our reservations for our trip this year as soon as schedules opened.

• edited April 2022

We all know prices continue to climb with time and that late bookings can be incredibly more expensive, e.g. the Delta business class fare for our upcoming trip was $4000 e.a. when we purchased the tickets at the start of the 330 day window. But, I just checked today, with a little over 5 weeks to go, the same tickets are listed at $11,800 ea. :o !!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, can this be for real?!?!?!?

• kfnknfzk, don't know whether Tauck uses Virgin Atlantic. While it's certainly the most fun way to LHR and their lounges at least pre-pandemic were superb, I found Upper Class seats are at a weird diagonal and bed claustrophobic; once they tuck you in, it's an awkward comedy routine getting out. I btw don't have issues with LHR; I know many here avoid it.

• MarketArt,

Thank you so much for the tip. I'll do some research this weekend. Being that I fly in and out of LAX--a truly awful and filthy airport--Heathrow is probably spectacular in comparison. Thanks for thinking of me!

• I book early IF price is right!

• MarketArt,

Again, thanks for the tip about Virgin Atlantic. I was doing research and it turns out that Air France partners with Virgin Atlantic for a direct flight from LAX to Heathrow. The fare seems rather expensive and I am not a fan of Boeing's Dreamliner, but I'll see what Tauck can do for me when they finalize their contracts in a few weeks. The good news is that the return trip (Paris to LAX on my beloved A380) is always a great deal.

• In normal times, media reports suggest that the best prices are found 3-6 months in advance. As far as trying to time the fuel prices, I agree with Alan - you pay your money, and you take your chances. Trying to second guess it is a fool's errand, especially since fuel price hedging by the airlines may distort the markets and make them respond in unpredictable ways.

Depending on where you live and where you're going, it may make sense to book early. Booking early will give you the most flight and connection options. If you fly from a major international hub (New York, Chicago, Atlanta, etc.) it may make sense to wait. If connections are a regular part of overseas travel (as it usually is for us) booking early makes sense. While the airlines book 330 days out, I've found it make sense to wait at least couple of weeks after that. Some airlines that work with foreign partner airlines don't get that flight information in their system for a little while. Booking early may also get you access to better seat choices.

So my recommendation would be 6-10 months in advance depending on your concerns about flight and connection options.