Navigating returning to the US after testing Positive for Covid

2»

Comments

• MalloryG: We will be in Lisbon, Portugal (on our own) after our Tauck Morocco Tour ends in October. Were you able to remain in the same hotel during your quarantine period? Was it difficult finding a place to get a Covid Test? What is the QuickMD website?
    Thanks for your help!

• manycruuises1_We were able to remain in our hotel during the quarantine, no problem. We were at a beach resort with no stores around and had to take a taxi to get our test at a pharmacy in the next town. The hotel called for the taxi and told them to take us to the pharmacy and to wait to take us back. Tests were 20 euro, and they used the same tests as the home test they sold. Those home tests were 2.50 euros. Quick MD is how to get a letter of recovery if you can't get one elsewhere, We were fortunate to get it from our doctor. https://quick.md/documentation-of-recovery/ Let me know if you have any more questions. Happy to help, if I can.

• Interesting that you mention flying to Canada, rent a car and fly from Detroit home. A couple we know basically just did that. Were on a tour in France with Rick Steves tours and tested positive for covid a couple days before their tour ended (along with 8 others). Couldn't get the negative test so flew into Toronto, spent the night, took a train to Windsor, cab to Detroit and flew home!

• Useful advice. I'll check out the QuickMD site now. Thanks again Mallory and all the wonderful Tauck travelers who share on this forum.

• Ndvp, my thoughts exactly on this testing. Good grief. I was in Italy with Tauck last month and all 18 of us had a great time, did not mask and had a blast laughing and talking at dinner. We all tested negative. It was normal. This testing needs to stop. I for one am not leaving the country until May of 2023, because of this stupid policy.
    I’m sure I’ll get flagged for my comments as you did, but I’m happy you spoke up.

• edited June 2022

While I totally agree that the testing to get back into out own country where we most likely caught the virus, or from others in our tour group should stop, the fact is that some got Covid. I want to protect myself from that risk as much as I can because I have a busy life with lots of plans on my calendar and don’t want to be ‘inconvenienced’ with having Covid and spoil my plans. And let’s face it, people are still dying. I’m shocked to find how ill my son is with Covid right now.
    I’m a huge mask wearer, apart from that, things are back to normal for us, putting a mask on to get groceries is no big deal and saves time and money not having to apply makeup. I can prove that in my own experience that the people I mix with, when we all removed masks, approx 20 out of 60 got Covid. This week, we are going thru to same thing, we are being more careful, changing into costumes and applying make up in shifts because we want to put on a show, the Live arts are so important to us but we know we are at risk. I’m m so grateful for the those who invented the vaccine which is saving millions of lives. Otherwise, my behavior is not reckless.
    I don’t understand why people are worried about quarantining in another country when they are not doing their best to protect themselves on a tour. I can guarantee that those who are testing positive will admit they were not wearing masks when they could have done.
    Nvdb, trust you to be lucky!

• edited June 2022

I’m not convinced all return testing is legit,

I’m pretty sure I caught COVID during our time at the airport or on the Turkish Air flight home- there were two women in the business lounge in Cairo airport and also in the business section of the smaller aircraft on the first leg of our flight to Istanbul who were coughing heavily. They looked and sounded like they were very sick (close to death? 😮 ). My wife heard one say to the other that she didn’t think she could go on!! Both may have had the flu or something else, but doubtful.

How they passed screening earlier in the day (flight was after midnight) boggles my mind. Both must have had temperatures, too! We were just lucky this happened when we were on our way home after the tour.

• British, Covid is not going away. I have a friend who works from home, has had the vaccine plus the booster and uses a mask like you do AND doesn’t travel. Guess what? She got Covid. I think it is healthier to understand this disease is around us and can happen to us, but so can cancer, diabetes, flu, colds etc. I’m glad for you that you’ve found the magic formula for you. Covid on my last trip was not talked about and was not the elephant in the room ever. (Until the last day when we had to test). We masked when told, which happily was rarely. Our tour director led 3 or 4 other groups prior to us and everyone was fine. We did not mask on the bus, but did on the train- per Italy’s rules. I like Tauck’s policies. They are doing a great job delivering super travel experiences. I for one am petitioning our government to stop this policy. It’s not stopping Covid. It’s just creating angst on a segment of the population that did everything right- not to mention the expense. I hope the forum can get back to talking about travel and the joy of it without all this other stuff. We’ve all been affected by the last 3 years, but now it’s time to move on, which I fear will not completely happen in our life time. Will you ever feel safe to take your mask off? I never wore one (unless told) and here we both are. Like you, I’m too busy to get sick with anything. I’ll say this just once, please stop posting people get what they deserve because of their mask wearing habits, when there’s no real evidence that masks are the magic elixir.

• edited June 2022

The cdc is lifting the Covid testing for returns to the U.S. on Sunday.

• edited June 2022

As of Sunday June 10th, testing to get back into the US is gone! Yes, sorry, June 12th

• I think that's June 12, 2022, not June 10. But it is great news. Don't have to worry about getting stuck somewhere and having to change your flights at high cost. But it also means that there will be people on the plane with active cases of COVID.

• There already were people on planes that were positive. You just didn't know it. That's how we've kept getting the variants even with the test requirement.

Can't imagine they could reinstate this unless things got really bad.

• There could have been people on the plane who were active, but each passenger had to have a negative test within one day of departure. I expect that removed a lot of active cases. I'm not advocating for putting the test requirement back, but there will be a lot more active cases on the aircraft and you may be sitting next to one.

• I’m thinking as we are traveling back from Canada next, they have strict quarantining and Tauck just sent us info about that. If we test positive on land or sea, we will be taken to a quarantine facility whatever the rules are to get back into the US, that’s what I am guessing anyway
    But hey, I bet Tauck is very busy with new bookings after this news today

• I'm so glad to hear about not having to test to return to the US but I do hope that they still ask for proof of vaccination, it may not prevent us from getting Covid but at least it keeps a lot of people out of the hospital. I still wear a mask when I'm out shopping and that's a personal choice.

• edited June 2022

Nvdb…read the science, not the newspapers or quit listening to what your ex pres said.

• edited June 2022

NVBD - Hoping you don’t get “flagged out” so others can see you are actually the oximoron minus the oxy.

• milmil
    edited June 2022

BSP51. the oximoron minus the oxy, has been pretty active last 2 days. :)
    I WANT A FLAG TOO! :p

• mil - I don’t flag her (him/they/their) because I think everyone should see exactly what they are.