Global Entry (ID Card) Travel Question

Comments

• Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I'll be taking the GE cards with us just to be safe.

Off Topic:
    We in Massachusetts and RI can use AAA offices to apply and renew for Real ID's - that made it so much easier for us. I think the longest I had to wait was 1 hour (provided you come with all the appropriate documents). I see so many folks sent back home since they can't seem to get the Proof of Identity, Proof of Social Security, or 2 items of Proof of Residency.

My Global Entry application was much worse (in part thanks to COVID). Applied for 4 people January 1, 2020. Conditionally Approved (all 4) by January 5th. First available appointments at that time were June 2020 in Boston/Logan. We were scheduled to travel with Tauck that July. I could have driven 3.5 hours (each way) to the Vermont/Canadian Border and had an appointment within 3 weeks but that was HARD PASS. Of course this was all right before COVID ramped up and the US shut down. Come May all the appointments in Boston were cancelled/office closed and you couldn't book an appointment for the future. Rhode Island has a small office that was closed, but they still had appointment to schedule. So I booked December 30th, 2020 in RI for 4 people. Now this was starting to edge on the rule of if you did not complete your application by 1 year, you would forfeit the application fee ($100 x 4) and have to start all over so I was sweating it. I know they later extended the rules, but I wasn't convinced something wouldn't go wrong. So come October when the Boston office reopened for appointments, I moved our appointments to that office for the same day, December 30th - just making the driving a bit easier. Once we were at the appointments it was simple - but jugging 4 peoples accounts, passwords, having to use each cell phones for the 2FA security logins, and trying to ensure we could all be scheduled together was such a PIA. The kick in the pants was the kids' passports needed to be renewed in the fall of 2021. Once renewed, I had to drive with them back to Boston for the Global Entry to be updated in person. Sigh. Apparently only a select few people can update their passport information online and well, we were not a few of those people. The CBP folks were very nice and accommodating but the whole process was such a PIA. I'm glad we're all good now until 2026 (or 2025 to start the renewals).

The only IDs/licenses that were more tedious were my medical licenses and LTCs - both of which required livescan or old-school fingerprinting. Getting good fingerprints with ink on stock cards that the BATFE will not reject is kind of a lost art form nowadays.

Heck even my application/online renewals with DEA Controlled Substance Registration are easier than all of the above. Go figure! Speaking of, I need to go renew with the DEA online - got to love that $888 for 3 years!

• edited June 2022

Or are we talking Fortran? :D

I'm far from being an expert, but am curious and enough of a geek to research this stuff. Just like with my inventions, I researched this stuff because I wanted to do something different or special. That being said, when I investigated underline, I was convinced it couldn't be done with Markdown. It was someone here who suggested using basic html (< u > "x x x" < /u > ), D'Oh!! ;)

So, don't believe the hype. I'm just a hacker and a traveler who spends too much time here, but am always willing to help. :DB)

• AlanS - He said 'old', therefore it has to be assembly/machine language coding. :D

• edited June 2022

No, by that time we had transistors. Even some ICs:-)

But my grandfather used to talk about using those - when he wasn't talking about having to walk to school in the snow.

But, actually, I did do some work with tubes prior to my graduation from college. They were just starting to teach transistor theory in college while I was there. But in my work, it was all semiconductors.

• edited July 2022

dogdoctor
    3:02PM
    . . . . The CBP folks were very nice and accommodating but the whole process was such a PIA. I'm glad we're all good now until 2026 (or 2025 to start the renewals).

Before you get wrapped around the axle in 2025 or 2026 when it is time to renew, a little known or used feature if anyone needs an interview, is to get it right at the airport when you return from an international trip. You don't need to schedule it. The CBP people will just take you aside and ask a few questions, maybe take a new photo- bing, bang, done. Easy peasy.

What CBP says , "Enrollment on Arrival (EoA) is CBP program that allows Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved to complete their interviews upon arrival into the United States. The EoA program eliminates the need for a Global Entry applicant to schedule an interview at an enrollment center to complete the application process. Last Modified: June 3, 2022"
    This can not be done at all airports. The CBP site doesn't say whether it works with a renewal, but several sites say it does- see the second link below for a first hand report:

CBP: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival?language_content_entity=en

Running with Miles first hand report of EoA used for renewal: https://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/global-entry-enrollment-on-arrival-review/

The Points Guy list of available airports: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/global-entry-interview-upon-international-arrival-airports/

Also, according to the CBP website: "Note: Eligible TTP members can now complete enrollment interviews with a CBP officer through video teleconferencing, while ensuring that the remote interview process maintains high security and privacy standards."

Disclaimer, we have not done this, but at least one other forum member has and said it was simple and painless. Maybe they will weigh in. Also, as we all know, things can change.

One final point- there is no time penalty for starting the renewal at the earliest time allowed. Regardless of when it is approved, you still have 5 years from the date the current GE expires.

• Smiling Sam
    4:37PM
    AlanS - He said 'old', therefore it has to be assembly/machine language coding. :D

Abacus?

• AlanS
    2:05PM
    Abacus?

He said old, not ancient!

• Yes, I did a lot of work on IBM mainframes in assembler language.

• I did some assembler lanhuage programming on a Commodore 64.

• Good ol' IBM machines with Assembler language then on to that new easy to use language COBOL for me.

• AlanS
    Before you get wrapped around the axle in 2025 or 2026 when it is time to renew, a little known or used feature if anyone needs an interview, is to get it right at the airport when you return from an international trip. You don't need to schedule it. The CBP people will just take you aside and ask a few questions, maybe take a new photo- bing, bang, done. Easy peasy.

What CBP says , "Enrollment on Arrival (EoA) is CBP program that allows Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved to complete their interviews upon arrival into the United States. The EoA program eliminates the need for a Global Entry applicant to schedule an interview at an enrollment center to complete the application process. Last Modified: June 3, 2022"

Totally plan on taking advantage of the Enrollment/Renewal on Arrival should we continue to travel internationally as I suspect we will. Honestly the biggest reason I signed up was for the TSA-PreCheck, but the given the modest increase in price, and the increasing international travel my in-laws and we do, it was a no-brainer.

Given our trip is now less than 2 weeks away, I find myself tracking our flights to see how on-time they are running. I've not got a good feeling leaving out of Boston right now. But thankfully there is a connecting flight nearly every hour from FRA to MUC so even if we are delayed, we have a very reasonable chance on getting the next connection.

• If you have an Amex Platinum card, they will refund the cost of Global Entry which helps offset the annual fee a bit.

• British
    If you have an Amex Platinum card, they will refund the cost of Global Entry which helps offset the annual fee a bit.

Actually, there are a few premium cards out there that do offer to cover the cost. But they only offset for the cardholder, not the whole family. I don't happen to have one of those premium cards...and I'm paying for 4 people. ;) But I'm happy to pay the fee to avoid lines if at all possible!

• Gosh, i just renewed one Global Entry card for my daughter. Two more renewals to go. She has her own Amex platinum card. All three of us have the Amex platinum credit cards with different credit card numbers on each card but they are all under my husband’s one main account. I am assuming (fingers crossed) that the Global Entry will get reimbursed but that has yet to be determined since all of us have different credit card numbers. Time will tell and I will be calling Amex to clarify. I’d I remember, I think it was suggested this way to take advantage of these perks with this card.

• From American Express “ Even if you’ve already used your own credit, you may still be able to help someone else enroll by making them an authorized user on your account. For instance, the Amex Platinum allows you to add up to three users for $175 (additional users are $175 apiece after that) (see rates and fees), and each authorized user gets his or her own $100 application credit for Global Entry. If you know a few people who want to sign up for expedited security, you can essentially get it for them at a discount, along with other benefits such as lounge access and hotel elite status. However, not all cards extend the statement credit to authorized users, so make sure yours is eligible before adding cardholders to your account.”

• edited June 2022

I could be wrong, but from what I understand, secondary accounts on a master AMEX card, even though they have their own number, have almost no individual privileges, so you may only qualify for one GE. The different numbers are just for expense tracking and security- so you have a secondary card if the primary gets compromised. To get the full range of benefits, each account must standalone and individually pay an annual fee. As I said, I may be wrong, because we have the Delta/AMEX Platinum.

• I could be wrong as well. To be determined.

• I had my renewal interview returning from an international trip at Logan. It was easy and short. Just make sure you do not exit immigration after checking in at kiosk. Last week I saw signs for the interview in Dublin - they do global entry/immigration there rather than US. Husband did not have to interview for renewal and had his card within 2 weeks.

• Just received this:
    Does anyone have more information.

The End Of Visa-Free
    Travel To The EU

ETIAS registration to enter the EU
    will become mandatory starting
    May 2023. From that point on,
    travelers from 62 countries that
    currently don’t need a visa to enter
    the EU—including U.S. and Canadian
    citizens—will need to register
    online before traveling to the EU.
    The application will cost 7 euros
    and online registration and security
    screening. Once approved the
    confirmation will be sent by email.
    The ETIAS pass is valid for three
    years, allowing the visitor to enter
    any Schengen country for up to 90
    days for tourism or business.

ETIAS stands for European Travel Information and Authorisation System”

• Doesn't look too difficult. It's good for three years so just apply for it when you're in the US way ahead of your trip. Cost isn't that much.

• Yes, I read this a long time ago.

• See https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/americans

tl;dr It doesn't begin until May 2023. No visa required for stays less than 90 days.

• This past year I renewed my Global Entry at Chicago O'Hare when I returned from an international trip. I had to ask some personnel where to go but eventually was sent to a kiosk. Do not go through Immigration, this is before you pass through. I had no appointment and there was only one person in front of me. I had the interview and was finger printed. I was able to complete it before my connecting flight. The next day I received preliminary approval and within a week the final approval. The CBP website tells you which airports offer this and what documentation is needed.

• edited June 2022

Does anyone know when we can apply for this European "visa"? It says that we'll need it for travel starting in May 2023. It also says that approval is expected to be quick but could take up to a month (in the article I saw about it).

• Japan is reopening and will also require a visa.

• MikeHenderson
    11:23PM edited 11:23PM
    Does anyone know when we can apply for this European "visa"? It says that we'll need it for travel starting in May 2023. It also says that approval is expected to be quick but could take up to a month (in the article I saw about it).

The CNN article was short on info. If I were a betting man, I would bet ETIAS won't be implemented by May 2023! Of course, the chip card was successfully implemented in Europe years before it was adopted in the US. Is this a solution to a problem that doesn't exist or something that couldn't have been handled by current chipped-passports? Is this tit-for-tat for the US ESTA?

I have seen no info about when they will actually start taking online applications. If you are under 18 or older than 70 ETIAS will be free.

• The article I saw says that the "visa" will be electronic and associated with your passport, so you won't have to carry anything, except for backup.

• Everyone and Tauck will need to keep current on what countries are participating in ETIAS; not all EU countries have signed on to the Schengen Agreement but will require ETIAS (Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, and Cyprus are part of the European Union but do not yet form part of the Schengen Agreement.) Some non-EU members like Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland will also require ETIAS. However, non-Schengen EU members such as Ireland have their own policy regarding foreign entry access. Montenegro and Boznia-Herzegovina, two European countries visited on the Adriatic Treasures tour, are not participating (yet). The authorization will also be required to transit through Schengen territory en route to a third country.

It is all so confusing. :o Hopefully, Tauck will add this info to and maintain a "Travel Requirements" section of the website after we no longer need COVID info.

• edited June 2022

Hi everyone. I'm back with more information on Global Entry because my bank statement just came in to confirm what I already knew. I mentioned I am an authorized user on our American Express Platinum card. There are two 100.00 credits so far and one more more to go. I believe there is a fee to add authorized users but the airport lounge access comes in handy. We sometimes do not travel together and I wouldn't be able to use a lounge without being an authorized user. I have to wait for my daughter’s birthday to renew hers; she is also an authorized user. That will add up to a 300.00 credit. I try to take advantage of the perks with these cards but most of them do not interest me.

GE.jpg 310.5K
  • I learned a new use for the Global Entry card today from a Conde Nast Travel newsletter I get.

"TSA Is No Longer Scanning Boarding Passes at These Airports"

Many airline passengers equate summer travel with snaking lines at airport security. But this year, TSA is adding new technology to speed along even the most congested checkpoints. One such piece of equipment, called a credential authentication technology (CAT) scanner, is programmed to automatically match traveler's ID information to flight manifests. In short: Travelers at dozens of U.S. airports no longer need to show their boarding passes to TSA officers, eliminating one more item that fliers need to scramble for in order to get through security.

The scanners can digitally process a traveler's ID and match their biographical information like name and birthdate against the Secure Flight database in real time. “There is no need for a boarding pass at this point since the Secure Flight database contains the names and flight details for people ticketed to travel in the next 24 hours,” Lorie Dankers, a TSA spokesperson, said in an email.

Instead, travelers will either hand over their ID to the TSA officer at the podium or insert it into the machine themselves, depending on the airport. Many travelers may have already noticed the new ID process, as the agency says it has so far deployed 1,621 CAT scanners to 176 airports. Among those, 90 scanners are “modified and equipped to read and verify digital identification,” says a TSA release.

Both large international airports and smaller regional facilities alike are utilizing the new scanner equipment, including Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, Boston Logan International, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles International Airport, Chicago's O'Hare and Midway airports, both airports in Washington, D.C., and New York's John F. Kennedy and LaGuardia airports, plus dozens of others.

The machines can read driver's licenses, passports and passport cards, Trusted Traveler IDs like Global Entry cards, permanent resident cards, and many more. TSA has a full list of accepted IDs on its website.