Options

K/T Classic Safari: Aug. 20, 2022

Comments

• Options

Can you even change an American check in another country. They have to go to a bank clearing house and can take weeks if at all, plus they charge a fee.

• Options

In 2018 they gave a small discount for cash, but they took credit cards.

• Options

I was in he cultural center July 18. The TD said they do not negotiate as I was looking and my son and I were discussing an item a lady stepped up and in a quiet voice said, we will negotiate. It is much easier to negotiate with cash and or check in my opinion.

• Options

I still questioning how you can pay with a US check

• Options

We are leaving for this tour in about 10 days. Although we will bring some cash, we will not be bringing checks. Our primary method of payment is by credit card. Considering the expense of this trip, IMHO, I don’t think there is sufficient value in any savings that might be realized through purchase negotiations and payment by means other than a credit card. When we are on vacation, we want to enjoy the trip and not worry so much about the cost of extras.

• Options

The Masai like to negotiate

• Options

Can anyone answer this for me? On the days where you have to pack into the small duffles, will there be electricity to power a C-PAP
    machine?

• Options

Yes, if I recall correctly but there is a chance electricity can go out any time. I would call Tauck on this one.

• Options

I did just talk to the call center who had to check with her supervisor and she said exactly what you just said! Thank you!

• Options
    edited August 2022

Debi Horan
    2:43PM
    Can anyone answer this for me? On the days where you have to pack into the small duffles, will there be electricity to power a C-PAP machine?

I believe on Tauck's Africa tours, the most rustic place is Camp Kalahari on the Botswana, SA, Zambia tour- they only have a solar / battery system. Outlets for device charging are in a central location in the gathering / main dining area.

However on K&T, you stay in lodges except for tent glamping at the Fairmont Mara Safari Camp on Days 11 & 12. The lodges all have 220V outlets in the rooms, but I don't remember about the Fairmont Camp. Their website says they provide adapters and hair dryers, so I suspect there is a source of 220V somewhere in each tent.

If your CPAP is 120V only, you will need to bring a voltage converter as well as a plug adapter. Depending on the location of the outlets at all the lodges and length of CPAP cord, you may need a short(?) 10' to 15' (?) extension cord as well.

• Options

As far as I can remember there were outlets in the tent at Fairmont but you need and adapter

• Options

I would be very leery of using checks in a foreign country. There has been so much news in the media regarding check fraud (i.e.--altering the dollar amount). I cannot imagine the nightmare of trying to resolve that kind of issue once out of the foreign country :/

• Options

Debi, do you have one of the small travel type of cpap’s that run on batteries.

• Options

My husband used to have the battery type for travel, but it never worked well enough. We can bring a converter just in case, although they are heavy for the small size. Our grand idea of trying to go just carry-on is getting harder each day as we start gathering things. In Jordan, last December, the CPAP (not travel size but they are quite compact) was left on the bus as we were leaving to fly to Egypt. The TD called the bus immediately, said it wasn't on the bus. Called again, this time they found it but didn't want to come back to the airport and said they would overnight it. After much chasing, authorities called it "medical grade", they disassembled it, got his Dr. to write why he needed it and said it would be shipped. Never shipped, never received it. The TD was livid with the incompetence and red tape in Jordan.
    Side note, it was an incredible trip!

• Options

CPAP is allowed as a third carry on item since it’s a medical device. No need to try and squeeze it in to other carry-on luggage.

• Options

I returned just yesterday from the 7/27 K & T tour. As far as outlets at the Fairmont Mara Safari Camp in the glamping tent, there were 3 as I recall. Most notably there is an outlet at the head of the bed, where there is a shelf above the pillow line. I think this would be your optimal spot for a CPAP. There was also an outlet at the desk/writing area that is integrated with the bathroom area, and there was a floor outlet near the tent exit which was used to power a floor lamp. There was a mini-fridge in a cabinet, so there must be an outlet behind that as well. Lastly, there was an outlet dedicated to shavers. Power did go out for a few seconds during our stay while we were in the dining room, and generators then kicked in.

• Options

I’m not sure whether the CPAP Debi has will run on 220 vaults, and if there are power cuts, that is not good

• Options

Sevenseas, How was the trip? I leave on the 22nd, starting to pack, getting excited! For a female, do you think it can be done with business class carry-on? Is it all safari worthy clothes?

• Options

Yes it can definitely be done with business class carry on. Apart from at the Four Seasons, laundry is cheap on this tour.
    Do Tauck provide you with the duffels before the tour or when you get there? If it is before you go, the duffel would take up quite a bit of room in a carry on size bag. Remember no plastic bags for this tour, you can get fined.
    SeaLord has taken the tour three times and might able able to give you more tips. I’ve taken it twice, plus the Tanzania Zanzibar tour but I’ve never just taken carry on…but I could easily have done so.

• Options

We already have our small version of the duffle. The larger one is 24 inches, over the 20 inch restrictions for carry on, so we may try a 20 inch wheelie and the small Tauck bag. I will miss squeezing things in the gallon zip-lock bags. We heard from our TD reminding us about the plastic bag ban but he said it hasn't affected the zip-locks yet. I wouldn't take the chance.

• Options

We are leaving on the 18th. We each will be taking a backpack and I will have a camera bag as well for our business class carryons. We each will pack 2 changes of clothes in the backpacks (just in case) along with other necessities (medication, tablets, etc) that shouldn’t be checked. We are fully aware of the plastic bag ban, but have not heard from a TD. I’m not sure all of them reach out prior to the tour. I think we will use the duffels we received for Peru/Galapagos—they are slightly larger, the material isn’t as stiff, and they pack down flatter in the suitcase. We are really getting excited—only one more week!

• Options

For those who have the ‘old’ Eagle Creek’ duffels from previous trips, use those. They are larger. For K&T you can pack everything you need in one of those and carry it on board. We actually use s rollaboard to transport one duffel, and check the other duffel with the liquids. Between the on board duffel, and the rollaboard, and two backpacks we easily have enough to do the trip without the checked bag. If you wear safari clothes on the airplane you are even farther ahead of the game. Hint: Ladies … you don’t need twelve pair of shoes … one or two will do fine.

• Options

What are the dimensions of the duffles and the amount that the inside can contain? 40 liters? 60 liters? Just asking. Contemplating for my Africa trip.

• Options

The duffels Tauck used to use were huge. SeaLord already posted comparison photos of them. There does not appear to be much difference and you don’t use them for the entire tour.
    I assumed Tauck would want everyone to use the same new bags so there is no confusion for the drivers when they organize the bags and pack them in the vehicles and planes. A uniform size is easier to organize when space is limited.
    We also wear safari gear on the plane.

• Options

Thanks, Sealord. FYI, I don’t take 12 pair of shoes on a “normal” trip. For this one, a couple pair of sneakers and flip flops for the pool. Unfortunately, we still can’t accommodate all in just the duffels, so we’ll be checking bags.

• Options

The new duffels are significantly smaller in capacity. The overall dimensions are not that different, but a couple inches here, and a couple inches there, changes the capacity a lot. We, and several others were using the old duffels, as was our TD. I’m sure someone at Tauck who chose the new bags thought they were the same size but they are not. The next larger bag of that brand is a similar size to the old duffels, but it is much more expensive. The new duffel is marketed as a gym bag. That’s why it has a shoe compartment.

• Options

For our duffle days my wife and I shared a single duffle!

• Options

Do you also share a toothbrush? 🤪

• Options

There are five or six old duffels in this group. See if you can spot them?

• Options

Wow, you have to look close but I guess the old ones are the more khaki colored ones and it looks like the new ones don’t have the compression straps which I like.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file