A Few Pictures from Egypt

edited November 2022 in Africa

I was in Eastern Egypt a few days ago - in Safaga - and wanted to share these pictures. They were all Bedouin camel handlers.

This one is my favorite.

Comments

• These are fabulous Mike! The last picture of the young man with the green eyes reminds me of the young Afghan girl who was on the cover of National Geographic years ago.

• Fabulous photos, Mike. The "Bedouin with light colored eyes" is the best. That would win a photo contest.

• edited November 2022

Thank you Travel Maven and Franlovestravel. I edited my original post to indicate my favorite.
    I very much like portraits of people. I also try to do portraits of older Arab men.

In case anyone doesn't know what picture Franlovestravel was referring to, it's known as "Afgan girl". Here's a link to the picture:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl

For those reading this thread, which of the five pictures I posted at the beginning of this thread is the one you like best?
    If you want to add why you prefer that picture I'd appreciate that, also.

@BKMD - I'm afriad I don't understand your post.

• Mike - it relates to my review in the other Egypt thread, realting to the crazy early starts we had on tour.

Was this an independent trip? Appears to be off the beaten path.

• Here’s another Bedouin

• BKMD - Here’s some cheese to go with your WHINE! 😂

• MikeHenderson Although the Bedouin with the light eyes is quite dreamy, my favorite is the first photo of the woman with the mysterious eyes...what mystery is behind those eyes....

• Mike: In my opinion, I like "Bedouin with light colored eyes" the best as the exposure is perfect and I like the way you positioned/cropped the image in the frame. The eyes are super sharp, which is one of the most important features. I also like the first image of the Bedouin woman, however, I find the camel in the background, even though it is blurred, to be distracting. I would crop it out and perhaps add a slight vignette around the image to bring the woman more into focus. I don't know which post processing software you use, however, the new updated Adobe LIghtroom and Photoshop software have some amazing new Masking/ AI features which might help to bring out the focus on the eyes. Anyways, great job. Also love the image of you both on the camel, it would make a great Christmas card.

• Awesome pictures Mike, the first photo is the best.

• I would just like to share that I went to the Ramses exhibit at the DeYoung museum in SF today. If anyone has the chance, please go because it was fabulous especially when using the narrated audio headsets. It was incredibly fascinating. Ir will be decades when an exhibit like this comes again.

• edited November 2022

OurTravels34
    7:45PM
    I would just like to share that I went to the Ramses exhibit at the DeYoung museum in SF today. If anyone has the chance, please go because it was fabulous especially when using the narrated audio headsets. It was incredibly fascinating. It will be decades when an exhibit like this comes again.

Thanks for the info! It will be in SF until 12 February 2023 then it heads to its first stop in Europe, the La Villette cultural park in Paris, from April – September 2023. We can't make it to SF but we will be in Paris on the Normandy, Brittany, Paris and the Loire Valley tour during that period. I need to investigate getting tickets! When in Paris, go Egyptian! :D

• edited November 2022

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, Travel Maven. When I was cropping, I intentionally left the camel in the background because I was using the picture as a "travel picture" and I felt it gave context - note that I placed her to the left, just so the camel would be identifiable.
    I really like your suggestion to lighten the area of her eyes to bring them out. I have a couple of software products for post processing. I can mask that area and lighten it.
    I’ll do some experimentation and see how it comes out.

[Update: I lightened the area of her eyes, as you suggested, and posted it after the original (at the beginning of this thread). An alternate approach might be to lighten just her eyes (mostly the whites of her eyes. Anyway, let me know what you think. I may have lightened too much.]

• Great pix, Mike ! And Smiling Sam has a Bedouin double ! We are pre-tour at Kempinski for Jordan & Egypt now. Great sprawling venue. Nice infinity pools. Dead Sea swim and mud bath was unique. Will try Ashur poolside dining tonight, then belly dancer show. Glad we took the IAD to AMM flight to arrive 4:50pm yesterday. Only annoyance are the flies around pool areas and outdoor dining. ![](https://us.v- cdn.net/6030777/uploads/editor/g9/rmq0hnbj08z3.jpeg "")
    Hope the 2 pix ( Kempinski at night and mud bath person at Dead Sea ) come through.

• Oops. Kempinski at night
    try again

• Sunscreen seems to keep the flies away:)

• Mike: I like the updated picture of the Bedouin woman's eyes. I think lightening the entire area, as you did, looks better. I sort of figured you left the camel in the image on purpose. I understand. I also enjoy taking candid photos of people from around the world, especially those with interesting faces that really show their character. When I was in Cuba a few years back, I was able to capture some great images. One of my images, which I took while sitting in an outdoor cafe, led to a rare unforgettable chance encounter for a few members of my tour group. The man in my image turned out to be a local Artist and legend in Cienfuegos. Ah, the joys of travel and photography!

• One thing I learned during the Egypt trip, when someone was looking at head coverings, is the red one signifies a member of Hamas. Sam may now be on some no-fly lists. :)

• cuzin GJ. Thanks for the pictures and information. We will be taking this trip next year at this time and would really appreciate any and all information you can provide. We have so many questions.
    Thank you and safe travels.

• cuzin GJ (or anyone) can you please tell me what airline you took and from where to Amman? Also how many stops?
    We are coming from south Florida but will fly to another spot in states for better flights.
    Thank you

• edited November 2022

jowell
    2:40PM
    cuzin GJ (or anyone) can you please tell me what airline you took and from where to Amman? Also how many stops?

We flew to J&E on Turkish Airlines: Atlanta - Istanbul - Amman outbound and Cairo - Istanbul - Atlanta inbound, but you can fly to Jewels of the Nile on them as well: ATL - IST - CAI and the reverse for flight the home.

• edited November 2022

jowell
    2:40PM
    cuzin GJ (or anyone) can you please tell me what airline you took and from where to Amman? Also how many stops?

If flying RSW from SWFL, United has a non-stop to Dulles(IAD) and then a non-stop to Amman(AMM), but with a 5.75 hr layover between flights. The best return we found from Cairo is CAI to Frankfurt(FRA) on Lufthansa and then FRA to Newark(EWR) to RSW on United. I'm sure you can find similar flights from south FL's east coast.

• Thanks all for flight information. We will be making our plans as soon as possible.
    We are doing Jordan and Egypt: Petra to the pyramids :

• Jowell. We flew United from Knoxville to IAD ( Dulles). Then Direct to AMM. Gets you in at 4:50pm rather than 1am with stop in Europe. Will be happy to add updates during and after your. Ammann weather says 68 F, but feels warmer, perfect around pools - infinity pool heated- and Dead Sea.

• We came from Florida and took a one way flight to Houston. Then flew Qatar Q-suites to Doha and then to Amman. This was an amazing airline with great food, service and the Q-suites were so private! We loved all the amenities including pajamas and slippers. On the way back we flew Qatar from Cairo to Doha, Doha to Boston, and back to Florida. This is the number one airline in my opinion. No delays and no lost luggage!

• can you please tell me what airline you took and from where to Amman? Also how many stops?

Jowell. Hi. I'm from New Orleans. I flew on Qatar Airlines: New Orleans to Dallas-->Dallas to Doha-->Doha to Amman.

On the return: Cairo to Doha; Doha to Dallas; Dallas to New Orleans.

As Mimitravels stated, the Q-Suites, service, food selection, stopover in Doha--all are amazing and totally worth adding an additional leg in my opinion. The Qatar partner airline is American Airlines. I think Qatar Airlines fly out of Miami--that may be an option for you.

• We flew the IAD-AMM non-stop in October to get to Jordan & Egypt (a day early...thanks GOT) and it was great. Before we even boarded, we ID'd 6 fellow travelers for the trip, so on that one flight we had 40% of our 20-person small group departure!

It didn't hurt that we live 8 miles from Dulles.

Like some others have suggested, we did a dog-leg home via Europe rather than the non-stop Egyptair flight CAI-IAD. Among several reasons, the Egyptair flight leaves at 11 PM and with the cautious, but wise lead time for the Cairo airport, you'd miss the farewell dinner. Connections through Europe mostly leave in the wee hours, but that allowed us to return to our room and finish packing in a leisurely manner before heading to the airport at 11 PM.

• I flew home to Boston from Amman on Turkish, with one long layover in Istanbul. Next March, I'll be doing the Jerusalem, the Red Sea and Petra trip (Inshallah -- my 3rd try for this trip) and will fly Boston to Tel Aviv on Air France with a stop in Paris, and will fly home Royal Jordanian from Amman to Cairo, then Cairo to Boston on Air France with a stop in Paris. I loved Turkish Air, but this itinerary was almost $2,000 cheaper than the Turkish flights. I hope to fly Turkish again sometime.