Options

Snorkel or glass bottom boat in the Great Barrier Reef

Is it worth it to snorkel, or can you see the same fish clearly in the boat

Comments

• Options

For me the decision is more the experience of a 'I snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef' vs the tradeoff of how you see more fish. You can see the fish in the Sydney Aquarium, no need to go to the Great Barrier Reef.

It's like swimming/floating in the Dead Sea. From our room on the Israel/Jordan tour it was a bit of a walk to get to the water. The decision to do it wasn't based on the quality of the swimming in the Dead Sea vs the hotel pool, it was based on the experience of "I floated in the Dead Sea".

For me, it's the pleasure of experiencing things first hand. My brother always asks me why I went on the K&T Safari tour. He says you can see the animals in a zoo. :D

• Options

We did both snorkeling and the semi-submersible. Snorkeling is a far superior experience.

• Options

I did both, too, and agree with Ken.

• Options

I also agree with Ken and BKMD. There's plenty of time to do both.

• Options

It was jellyfish season while we were there (March), so we did both the semi-submersible and glass bottom boat. It was lovely, and we had plenty of time leftover to watch the water. The people who snorkled wore wet suits, and you do NOT want to see me in a rubber suit!! lol

• Options

I did both and enjoyed both.

• Options

I did the glass bottom boat and it was great. My husband found the snorkeling to be extremely crowded and suggests swimming off a bit on your own if you are going to do this. Some people did a helicopter tour and really liked it.

• Options

~~Thank you..I will try t he snorkeling..But I am also going in March and doo not want the jelly fish near me ..I heard they cancelled the helicopter as one of the options
    ~~

• Options
    edited January 2023

If you are not comfortable thinking about snorkeling, the mini sub is an excellently substitute. We really felt that the reef is not by any means the best place to snorkel on the planet. Ok, you can say you snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef, but that’s not going to impress anyone I know. I think about snorkeling in Cayman and other great places.

• Options

When we went in 2012 ,we did”helmet diving “.We also did glass bottom .We liked helmet diving a lot.Not sure if 5hey offer that .choice

• Options

Fortunately, in September of 2019, we did not encounter jelly fish. Once on the platform, we signed up for snorkeling with a marine biologist, the “advanced” group. No charge, well organized and not a big group. We also quickly signed up for the helicopter ride - at an extra cost. The helmet diving also cost extra, and some folks in our group enjoyed it. These extras are offered on the platform, not through Tauck. The company that runs the platform is still advertising the helicopter ride on its website.

• Options

For a non swimmer and a non snorkeler helmet diving was a unique experience.Well worth the extra cost.

• Options

BTW great to see you back in Forum British, I've missed you. Leaving for Australia 2/20 and I don't think I will snorkel :D

• Options

Just got back a few weeks ago - the snorkeling was good! Yes, they provide you with a "stinger suit" and no one cares what you look like - go for it!

• Options
    edited January 2023

sudhamali
    January 13
    For a non swimmer and a non snorkeler helmet diving was a unique experience.Well worth the extra cost.

Yes, unless you are easily susceptible to claustrophobia. :o:D

• Options

Oh the helmet is huge!

• Options

Doesn't make much difference to many. My wife had to exit a glider- couldn't handle it when they closed the large, clear canopy! Submerging in a submarine affects her as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file