Thought I'd start a discussion of travel food surprises. Food that surprised you in a good way, or a bad way, or some other way. Here's mine to start it off:
Foods I didn't think I would like but weren't bad - Haggis with neeps and tatties (Scotland) and pickled herring (Denmark). I wouldn't order either one again, but they weren't bad.
Most surprising food presentation - My wife ordered roast rabbit in Rome. It came a parmesan cheese basket that was cut to resemble bunny ears! A few people at the table were a little put off when she ordered rabbit, but the bunny ears on the basket really freaked them out.
Most overpriced fast food - We arrived in Geneva late at night and very hungry. Decided to go to McDonald's (which we usually avoid). Two quarter pound cheeseburger meals ran us about $32!
Small country that punches above it's weight food wise - Belgium. Best chocolate (sorry Switzerland). Most diverse selection of beers anywhere. Best fries (they really should be called Belgian fries - mayo optional). The national dish is Moules Frites (mussels with fries). I'll pack my elastic waist pants and go back anytime.
Things so good, I'm surprised we don't have them in America - Stroopwafels (Holland). Not the premade packaged kind that you can get here (just OK). Fresh off the waffle iron with hot sugar syrup in between. Also, 99 Flake ice cream cones (UK). A soft serve cone with a cylinder of thin rolled chocolate shoved in it. Dairy Queen is missing the boat on this one.