Apple AirTags and Equivalent Bluetooth Tracking Devices (for luggage and other personal items)

Comments

• Air tags- don't you need to be near them (so your phone can pick up their bluetooth signal)? Or, if not don't they need to be near another (Apple) phone or device that is near wifi (or 4/5 G?) so the other phone can report where the tag is? If so, it may not won't work crossing from Tanzania to Kenya or on the flight from Amboseli to Nanyuki if your TD made a bad count and the bags didn't make it on the plane?! :o

• That story isn’t new. My hubby can track me down on Find my iPhone App anyway. He can figure out if I am on my way home without calling me. I have no idea about Alan’s question.

• AlanS
    Air tags- don't you need to be near them (so your phone can pick up their bluetooth signal)? Or, if not don't they need to be near another (Apple) phone or device that is near wifi (or 4/5 G?) so the other phone can report where the tag is? If so, it may not won't work crossing from Tanzania to Kenya or on the flight from Amboseli to Nanyuki if your TD made a bad count and the bags didn't make it on the plane?!

The way they work is that they will communicate to any iPhone that comes within range of the air tag - about 30 feet. The air tags have serial numbers, and you registered your air tag to your iPhone and that is in an Apple data base.

When an air tag communicates to an iPhone, the iPhone reports the serial number and GPS coordinates to Apple. Apple then sends this information to your iPhone.

The location information can be out of date. For example, when your luggage is put on the plane the air tag may not be able to communicate to an iPhone on the plane. Even if it could, the iPhone may not be able to communicate with Apple. But when you land, and someone with an iPhone comes within about 30 feet of your luggage, the new location will be reported to Apple.

If the iPhone that communicates with your air tag does not have an Internet connection at that minute, it will communicate to Apple when it does and update the location.

The whole concept depends on there being iPhones wherever your luggage is.

• MikeHenderson
    The location information can be out of date. For example, when your luggage is put on the plane the air tag may not be able to communicate to an iPhone on the plane. Even if it could, the iPhone may not be able to communicate with Apple. But when you land, and someone with an iPhone comes within about 30 feet of your luggage, the new location will be reported to Apple.

If the iPhone that communicates with your air tag does not have an Internet connection at that minute, it will communicate to Apple when it does and update the location.

The whole concept depends on there being iPhones wherever your luggage is.

That is exactly what I was coming to report as a first time user. We landed in Frankfurt and I could see both bags update for being in Frankfurt at the location of the plane. They never moved again, until we started boarding for the Munich flight. What happened was, we were send down the boarding ramp and to a bus. This explained why I couldn’t figure out why we were boarding without a plane at the physical gate. Well, the bus took us out under the terminal, past our old plane, and WAY out to the very edge of the airports. I was tracking us and the carry-ons, and as we passed the original plane the AirTags in the checked bags suddenly decided they were following us. It was clear they were not on this bus, but they must be close. About 1/2 way through the really long bus ride - we were separated again in a new tarmac location. In my observation I felt like they must have been on a particular baggage transport vehicle that was going to other connection planes. And given where we wound up we must be the last drop. Well, sure enough as we are getting off the bus, a baggage cart comes racing in and I can see both our bag and the app instantly blips an updated location.

So according to my wife - I never would have needed the AirTags as I could literally see our bags get loaded on the plane. Haha.

So, sure they do have some limitations: They don’t work well when there are no iPhones around. They don’t work well under fast moving conditions where the iPhones are not equally moving as fast (ie moving on a baggage conveyor belt, or baggage cart). But what they do offer is a bit more piece of mind and again, a little more factual leverage of bag locations should there be problems to discuss with the airline.

• I've decided that technology doesn't always reduce stress. Delta has bag tracking, but believe it is based on scans of the bar codes on the bags. When it works, it works, but it doesn't always work and doesn't work in some foreign locations. I suspect Air Tags at times will also give you bad or no info as well. Maybe it was better when we were blissfully ignorant and just expected our bags would arrive at our destination when we did. After all, there are only a few instances where you can do anything about it! :D

If we had Air Tags on our bags during our recent flight to Athens we would have assumed the bags were on the flight- instead, as we luckily observed, they were sitting alone, unattended on the tarmac near the plane, after all other baggage had been loaded. Luckily we saw them out of the window. Otherwise they might not have been loaded . . . but would have assumed they had been- because "we saw it on the Internet so it must be true!" :D I can imagine what I would have been like and said in Athens our bags not been loaded and not arrived, "But, but, my Air Tags showed they were on the Plane. They must be here!!! :D

• AlanS - You've pointed out that all available systems have flaws, but isn't more information better than no information? If not, then why would you spend weeks or months researching places that you might want to visit during your tour instead of just going with 'blissful ignorance'? :D

• edited July 2022

There is a lot to be said about blissful ignorance :D

In this situation, however- knowing where your bags are doesn't mean you can do anything about it. What if they are in a huge pile at some airport, and may not reach you for days, if ever?!?! :o

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple hater- my wife has an iPhone and an iPad and I have an iPad, but Apple is famous for developing and marketing things we never knew we wanted or needed. :D:D:D

• A situation I had with lost bags between American and Air Morrocco - both claimed the other had the bags. If I had location data, especially current location data, I could have resolved the issue faster.

• My husband absolutely loves the Apple AirTags and when we were in Lisbon just recently waiting for well over an hour for our luggage he could see where they were at the airport.  It made the long wait easier.

• I have taken a few trips using only a carry on bag. I took a 2 week independent trip to England, Scotland and Wales using only a Rick Steves Back Pack. Worked out great. I did go to a laundromat half way thru the trip. If I remember right, this was 23 years ago, I had everything in there including toiletries, shoes, rain suit, etc. I carried my small camera and medications in my purse. My back was stronger then, I don't think I could lug that back pack nowadays, but it was definitely doable and if using a rollaboard, like the video in Folsomdoc's post, I think this would work very well. The only uncertain part is being able to get an overhead bin as more people are not checking bags these days. Also, you may have to do some laundry or wash small items in a sink, making sure sure the material can dry quickly.

Claudia, I like your video also.

Of course, I am used to packing light as after 30 years of motorcycling with my first husband and only having access to one side of a saddle bag for a 2 week trip, you learn to pack only the very basics. It can be done. I can even see doing this on a one or two week cruise and utilize the laundry services on the ship, if needed.

• I could easily do just carry on if I had a usual size bag but I haven’t for years and since Tauck, never! I hate anyone judging me for not having dressy clothes. But what is annoying is you just never know the group you will find yourself traveling with. I’ve experienced extremes on both sides. We have literally been the dressiest by far at a couple of Welcome dinners but generally in the middle range. I have found it’s the ones who are new to Tauck who turn up dressed to the nines, more experienced ones seem to slacken off. We remain in the middle.
    There has been one change for this upcoming trip. We usually take backpacks as carry on, school backpack size…my husband has an old Costco back to school bag he has used for years. This time, he is taking a small wheelie carry on because he has to take his laptop to zoom a few meeting etc. He is not taking his camera, I’m taking mine as it is a bit lighter. We seem to have so much more paperwork’s to carry too.

• British,

I really don't think anyone is going to judge you for your choice of attire. I have never had someone come up to me and demand to know why I am wearing a dress or not wearing a dress. No one cares what other people wear. It's your vacation.

I do think about the type of tour, type of locale and type of hotels and restaurants I'll be visiting, however. I plan my wardrobe around those factors and nothing else.

Go and enjoy your tour. And be you, not what you think someone else wants you to be. Have fun on your trip!

• We were on a Northern Spain and Rioja valley trip just recently with Tauck.  There were seven men including my husband.  All of them wore jackets and four with ties.   My husband was on the only one without a jacket and this surprised me as I had seen on this very forum the same trip for the seven course meal men without jackets.  However, my husband attitude was who cares!

• Thanks everyone, yes every tour is different, some weeks there will be formal people sometimes there will be casual people.

• Noreen, I've found that each tour group kind of has it's own personality when it comes to dress. I've been on tours where all the men had jackets, none did, and inbetween. As British said sometimes it's new travelers worried they'd get it wrong. Sometimes it's that it's summer and too hot. Or cold and a warm sweater seems to make more sense. My husband seldom takes a jacket now but does bring nice dress shirts, slacks, a pullover sweater if it's cold and a tie. If the packing list for the tour says a jacket is optional then it is.

• The subject of air tags is interesting. I've had good luck with the airline app that shows that my bag is loaded on the plane, off loaded, etc. I'm not an apple person, so not seeing many air tags that don't use the apple technology. Anyone have an suggestions?

• Well I truly do not know what to say or think about Apple AirTags at the current time. Maybe just a little bit of ignorance can be just a little blissful only so that I don’t lose sleep over this. Two pieces of luggsge AirTags have been misplaced or lost in Toronto Airport (flew first class)! I am currently hundreds of miles away, and I can view the location of the luggage from my phone. It is a helpless and aggravating feeling of relying on the airport system and crew to find the luggage. I’m sure there is protocol in place and It is anyones guess to know what went wrong. Even with these devices within our luggage, I can’t teleport it back to me. Hence, the exact reason I’m not sleeping. It was bound to happened sooner or later.

Does anyone know how the Tauck insurance kicks in a situation such as this? There are two of us with the insurance and two pieces of luggage. My American Express card can also be of use in this situation. Maybe they will magically appear tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

• So very sorry to hear this Ourtravels. We have only had this happen once and the luggage arrived home the next day. Have you already called lost luggage at Toronto giving them a full descriptions of your luggage etc?
    Insurance reimburse for lost luggage is a very small amount of money which will hardly cover more than a few items of clothing you likely have in your bags. I dread it happening because we have a core number of travel things we always take that may be hard to replace. We try not to take other things we can’t live without.

• I just looked up the coverage it's up to $500 to purchase needed items if your luggage is delayed more than 24 hours and up to $3000 if lost, stolen, damaged ( I assume if it never gets back to you).

• Thanks everyone. It’s a work on progress and to be continued.

• This may be a really stupid question, but where do you place your air tags? Inside or outside your luggage?

• Ladybombay, anywhere inside. It’s in a zippered compartment.

• Could this be a side effect of the massive internet outtage in Canada that happened just a day or two ago. I haven't read of the status lately. Air Tags rely on internet!

• Alan S, That’s a good question.
    Claudia, $500.00 does not go very far! At least it doesn’t with me.

• OurTravels, thank you!

• I wonder if it would cover laundry costs?

One thing I've started doing is bringing a packing list of what goes in my checked bag. It started as a spreadsheet that helped me list, sort, and eliminate items for the final pack out. But then I realized it would be a good idea to bring the final list with me.

• Claudia, I am going to try that. I am also going to take a video of what is in my carryon.

• OurTravels - my luggage was lost once for 3 days, I bought a few inexpensive items of clothing - jeans, sweater, tops, undies, large t-shirt to sleep in, Tauck insurance reimbursed me for everything.

• My luggage was lost by Lufthansa on a flight from Munich to Istanbul.  They changed the aircraft at the last minute.   I had to buy clothes in Istanbul and it was very difficult.  I ended up at the boy's clothing section to buy shorts and tops.   All the other stuff had t-shirts with sequins and was mostly for teenagers.   Ladies in my age group (sixties) had long dresses in most stores.  It was a real headache.   In the stores it is mostly men that are the sales people behind the counter.  My suitcase is still missing to this day.   Lufthansa reimbursed me with any problems $1700.00.