Bonjour mes amis- planning considerations and trip report

On the road. Point to point, no layovers, no weather, gotta happen, right. :D

Before we get into the photos and fun stuff here is some potentially useful information:

Booking and planning consideration.

I realize this tour can change, so I will attempt to keep this relatively short. :D (figure the odds ;) )

Considerable research and thought is needed before even booking this tour, unless your availability is limited, you are a traveler who doesn’t book pre- and post-stays, you are only interested in the published itinerary, and you don’t add your own additional on-tour activities. If you want to maximize your time and what you see, you’ll need to plan, and do it early

When to go considerations:

Weather: As with any tour, weather is always a consideration. Due to the effects of the nearby Atlantic Ocean and the English Channel, northwestern France can be cool and wet in the Spring and on into Summer. Annually, there are 161 sunny days in Paris and 155 or more precipitation days, the rest are overcast. Paris has an average annual precipitation of 25” and experiences light rainfall distributed evenly throughout the year, however, the city is known for intermittent, abrupt, heavy showers. WeatherSpark.com is a good source for historical weather trends.

Crowds: Crowds, like weather, are always a consideration and both are typically in conflict. The busiest months are May to September, with July being the busiest followed closely by June and August.

Schools/students: Unless you have researched French holidays, you may not know that in addition to an eight week summer holiday, schools in France have a two week spring holiday in April/May. The Ministry of National Education sets the dates for each of the three zones. The zone holidays overlap. French students and those from the EU get free admission to most museums and cultural sites. In many cases however, they are still required to have (timed-entry) tickets, but they still take up spots.

What departure and what will be open, when I’m there?: A new, classic or small group tour, typically starts every 2 - 4 days, so the days of the week tours start and venues are visited can differ from departure to departure. Why does this matter? Most museums and cultural sites, especially in Versailles and Paris, are not open 7 days a week and closures are not consistent among them:

e.g. at Versailles. The Palace and the estate of Trianon are closed on Mondays, the Gallery of Coaches is only open on Saturday and Sunday during the summer period, the Musical Fountains show is only on weekends, the Musical Gardens only run from Tuesday to Friday, and the Fountains Night Show is every Saturday night, plus Friday July 14th and Tuesday August 15th. Got all that?!?! :D So, when is the best time to visit Versailles??? If the venues are important to you, do your research, decide if a pre-stay is needed, then decide which departure will allow you to visit your preferred venues.

e.g. Paris. An after-hours visit to the Louvre is only scheduled for select departures. Tauck typically doesn’t know for certain which ones they will be until early in the year which I assume is why it is not mentioned nor listed in the website itinerary! Each time I called Tauck I was given a different answer- eventually we learned our departure does not visit the Louvre.

A few notable Paris closings: Musée Rodin, Musée d'Orsay, Musée Carnavalet, Petit Palais, etc. are closed on Mondays. The Louvre, Musée de l'Orangerie, and Pompidou Centre, etc. are closed on Tuesdays. The Arc de Triomphe, Conciergerie, Panthéon, Halle Saint-Pierre, Sainte Chapelle are closed on weekends:

For a complete list of weekly closings for cultural sites in Paris follow this link to the Paris Tourist Office Official Website: https://en.parisinfo.com/what-to-see-in-paris/info/guides/weekly-closing-days-of-cultural-sites-in-Paris#1

Also, a number of venues have free admission on the first Sunday of the month and on some French holidays- rather than an opportunity to save money, it should be viewed as an opportunity to navigate larger crowds!

Buying Tickets. You can purchase tickets to museums and other venues via their online websites or, in many cases, the Centre Des Monuments Nationaux. Timing varies as to when tickets go on sale- some can be purchased as early as 60 days prior, some only 30 days prior. Some venues release a full month’s worth of dates at one time. The Eiffel Tower, which is open seven days a week, deserves special mention. As I discovered, tickets are released day-by- day, EXACTLY 30 days in advance, starting at 10:45 pm EST. Despite tracking it closely and “sniping” (old E-bay term) to get on the site at the exact moment tickets went on sale for our desired date, I was unable to get tickets for 3:00 pm and felt lucky to get them for 3:30 pm. All half hour time slots for “Lift to the Top” tickets for our desired day sold out in less than an hour. You can also purchase many tickets through third party vendors like Viator, but they may cost significantly more and/or you might be required to pay for a package that could include activities or places that don’t interest you.

So, again, the bottom line, do your research early before selecting a tour date and purchase tickets as early as possible for places you want to visit that are not included in the Tauck itinerary.

I will update this thread with photos and a review over the next 13 days.

Comments

• God speed John Glenn. B)

• Gotta love that Delta “bag on plane” notice!

• Great start to a fabulous holiday!😊

• We just completed this tour 2 weeks ago. It was fabulous. I agree with Alan about doing research. We had planned our itinerary for our free time and extra days well in advance. We arrived at Versailles on a Monday so we went to see the Musical Gardens, which were open although the palace was closed. It was fortunate because it was a beautiful afternoon. We had tickets for the palace visit the next day—it rained all day. In Paris, we had purchased our tickets for the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Pompidou Centre, and the Rodin Museum well in advance. The Rodin was the only ticket that was not a timed entry. We worked with the concierge to get tickets for l’Orangerie and Saint Chapelle, which was not an easy task. Saint Chapelle was open on Sunday because that’s when we were there. One holiday we were unaware of when we booked was Ascension Thursday, which is essentially a long weekend holiday for the French and everywhere we went was very crowded. By planning most things in advance, we were able to see and do everything we had wanted. The tour itself was absolutely fabulous, and aside from the first few days of cloudy, cool and drizzly weather, we had fabulous weather for the balance of the trip.

• I’m glad you made it safely! There were several drivers for Tauck the morning I was there too.

• I forgot to include a few photos of grand Trianon🙃 Some major construction going on.

• Alan, the walking path along the road makes me hurt just looking at it. Our first visit there pre-knee replacement and the second time after the knee was just barely healed. I've done a lot of miles walking that estate.

• Alan - You need to lengthen your stride if it takes you 17,800 steps to go 8 miles. That number of steps takes me almost 9.3 miles. Looking at it the other direction, it only takes me 15,360 steps to go 8 miles. :D

The weather looks wonderful. I hope that's what you get for the whole trip.

• Alan - You are bringing back happy memories. This was one of my top 5 Tauck trips - many years ago.

• edited June 2023

What a difference the sun makes!

Sorry the pictures are sideways. At least I got them posted.🤪

Don’t miss seeing the Chateau after your private tour, especially the Hall of Mirrors. I’m sure it will be crowded, but it’s amazing!

• Smiling Sam
    12:20AM
    Alan - You need to lengthen your stride if it takes you 17,800 steps to go 8 miles. That number of steps takes me almost 9.3 miles. Looking at it the other direction, it only takes me 15,360 steps to go 8 miles. :D

That step count includes a lot of baby steps standing in line at CDG Passport Control, etc. and to some extent wandering Trianon.

I had some major leg cramps last night, nothing like l suffered after my treks at Petra, but still painful 😫

• My husband always grouses at the end of a tour day that we've gone the same distance but my Fitbit registers more steps. It's all about leg length.

• I get those too when I’m dehydrated. Have fun today! Can’t wait to hear how you liked the small group tour of the King’s Apartments.

• Alan wonderful report and pictures, have a great time

• edited June 2023

Ok, I know I'm biased, and lazy. While I'm impressed with those finely calibrated bucket lists, here's hoping y'all consider taking an hour off now & then to just wander Paris, etc. That's the best part of travel for me. (I visited Versailles my first trip to France, but now have a lot more free time since I gave up palaces/castles/fortresses years ago.) Btw my two weeks in France April-May were warm (60s) and dry, even up north in Brittany. Enjoy!

• Let them eat cake.

• Nice pics Alan.
    Interesting to see in one of the last ones... someone having his picture taken with the Venezuelan Flag. (Most be one of the low-class members of the Venezuelan corrupted government). Still my heart breaks when I see it.
    Do enjoy your trip and keep reporting, I always love to see people enjoying their vacation! specially you, that I know...how much you like to plan ahead and study everything about the country.

• edited June 2023

Day 2. First full day with Tauck- Chartres and on to château country. Weather- another perfect day, maybe a tad too warm. I’m glad I brought a pair shorts on the trip and wore them. Tomorrow I’m gonna wear my safari zip-offs. How long can this weather last? 😀

Frankly, I was a little underwhelmed with the cathedral- not as large and soaring as I expected and a lot of ongoing renovation. Before touring, we had a very interesting presentation about stained glass. The interior of the cathedral was rather dark, and since it was not heated, rather cold. The widows that had been cleaned were impressive and lived up to the hype, many others, not so much. It will be interesting to compare the windows with those in Ste. Chapelle in Paris. We had lunch on our own in one of many nice little places nearby. (Fran- we ate at the Serpent- very convenient and a good meal.

We boarded the bus again for a rather long trip to Château Rochecotte for a two night stay in châteaux country. We were running slightly ahead of schedule so at the driver’s suggestion we drove along the Loire River and passed several château. Not long after arriving we re-boarded the bus for a short trip to Château Champchevrier for a presentation about (deer) hunting dogs, a tour of the château that has been in the same family since the 17th century, and a nice dinner. The son of the Baron who now runs the estate was our host. We arrived back at our hotel at 10:00 pm.

Our bus has Wifi and it works! Tomorrow- more Loire Valley château- Château de Langeais and Château Villandry.

• Great pictures.

• What a difference a warm sunny day makes! I’m glad you packed the shorts too and enjoyed lunch at Serpent. I expect you’ll be blown away when you see the stained glass in Sainte Chapelle. Really enjoying your day to day review as it beings back such fond memories☺️

• The garden at Villandry is amazing. Definitely deserves more time than its given. Fingers crossed on the weather Alan. You still gotta get thru Normandy..

• Ditto Claudia’s comment about the gardens.

Alan - I assume your audio configuration would work with Bluetooth enabled ear buds (like Apple ear buds) just as it does with your hearing aids?

• Beautiful pictures Alan

• This was such a fantastic trip. Pictures are bringing back wonderful memories.

• It’s many years since I went to all these chateaux, I love the French countryside and actually have better memories of all my visits there than my one visit to Paris, which I guess is an unusual opinion. Bringing back great memories.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file