Options

Bonjour mes amis- planning considerations and trip report

Comments

• Options

Alan great pictures of Mont St. Michel and you and the missus are looking well.
    When I went to Bayeux with Tauck we went to the Museum of the Tapestry, it's a shame that was not included in your tour of Bayeux.

• Options

The cemetery is hallowed ground. I couldn't stop choking up for what these young men accomplished. We were in Normandy for 5 days on a private tour, and it certainly wasn't enough time.

• Options

It's the most moving place I've visited, that and the beaches, it's hard not to cry, knowing how many gave their lives for what we enjoy today.

• Options

Just gorgeously Alan, my heart loves gardens!

• Options

I love Giverny and the gardens at Monet's house are beautiful, I took a great picture of my mom at the bridge. Great place.

• Options

lovely!

• Options

Sainte Chapelle is one of my very favorite places in Paris. The stained glass is truly amazing and takes your breath away when you enter the upper chapel. Wow, the Louvre was packed!
    Is the hotel fabulous?

• Options

Alan - The photos are just amazing! Thank you for sharing.

• Options

I loved Giverny and Sainte Chapelle, I actually went there one night for a string concert, it was amazing. Great photos Alan.

• Options

We were hoping for a concert when we were there, we missed one doing the works of Pachelbel (especially his canon in D major.)

• Options

We have a Rodin museum in Philly, same statue too!

• Options

Alan - If you’re going to do the pose, really go for it, wardrobe and all!!! 😂

• Options

LOL!!!!

• Options

Great pose Alan, love the pictures.

• Options
    edited June 2023

British said:

We have a Rodin museum in Philly, same statue too!

There's also one at the Palace of the Legion of Honor in San Francisco. The Thinker is #1 on the Rodin hit parade.

• Options

The lower statue has far more realism than the upper one!!

• Options

Alan - Glad you posed in front of The Thinker instead of the statue of David.

• Options

😂😂😂😂

• Options
    edited June 2023

Parting shots- from the Eiffel Tower and the “stroll” back to Le Maurice.

As I mentioned in my previous post, after the visit to d’Orsay, a visit to the Musee Rodin, and a stop for a lousy bagel, we continued to the Eiffel Tower where we had timed tickets for the top. There were two couples who wanted to see it and had been trying to get tickets for a few days. Our TD said the concierge at Le Maurice could work miracles, but I don’t think he was successful. A new ticketing system is needed.

Does anyone recognize this car on the barge? To me it looks like one of those car boats from years ago.

I forget how long the walk was from the Eiffel Tower back to the hotel along the river, the entire route from d'Orsay was 4.1 mi., but it probably seemed longer than it actually was, with everything we did that day (we logged over 8 miles!!) and the heat. I have been joking about the weather, in this blog, but it has been fabulous for the entire tour. One of the photos I didn’t get- the Arc d’Triomphe- I couldn’t get a good shot of it from the bus the previous day and even though the driver and TD made a special photo stop on the way to Fouquet's for the Farewell Dinner, the sun angle was bad. ☹️

Another photo missed- the Eiffel Tower with nighttime illumination. ☹️ our room at Le Meurice faced an interior courtyard and sunsets were just too late (10:45 pm!!!) to head out to a location with good view.

• Options

Great photos of the Tower Alan. I guess you are home safe now. It’s been fun following your journey.
    You missed the smoke here at home!

• Options
    edited June 2023

We are home and tired. Our departure from CDG was delayed almost an hour because of problems with a baggage container- they had to move a number of bags to another one. Well you can guess what was running through my mind!! :o The flight went well, we arrived on time and so did our bags :) . The previous night I had horrendous leg cramps, again from all the walking we did the last day (8.17 mi.!)

and I probably didn't drink enough water. Luckily no cramps during the flight.

Yes, the car on the barge was an Amphicar 770 :D It was manufactured between 1961 an 1965 in Germany.

And here, in front of the Luxor Temple is the partner to the obelisk that is located at the center of the Place de la Concorde in Paris near our hotel! Now I've seen the set.

• Options

The obelisk at Karnak looks a lot like the two you’ve shown.

• Options

Alan, what were the tents at the base of the Eiffel Tower? I've enjoyed your photos very much. They brought back great memories of my trip in 2016. What's next on your agenda?

• Options
    edited June 2023

I’m not sure what the tents were for- they totally obscured the contents and probably are to hide repairs, new construction, or installation of equipment such as new spotlights, etc. for current and future events and ceremonies. There was construction everywhere along the Champ de Mars, I suspect most of it is for the Olympics. Major sections of it were fenced off. ☹️

Sam, me thinks all Egyptian obelisks look pretty much the same. The one in the Place de Concorde was a gift to France. They were offered two, but it was such a herculean effort to get the first one home and erected, France never got the second one (good!!). France played a big part in the early days of Egyptian archaeology- August Marriete discovered many ruins like the Avenue of Sphinxes, the Serrapeum in Saqqara, etc. , was the founder and first director of the Egyptian Department of Antiquities and responsible for the Cairo Museum. Champollion was the first to decipher the Rosetta Stone, Victor Loret and Gaston Maspero who discovered long hidden caches of the mummies of most of the 18th Dynasty pharaohs. And the list goes on.

• Options

Alan , hi!
    Glad to hear your home safe... Yes, CDG it's a mess- my brother still waiting for his luggage!
    Well, now you're home and it is time to rest and get ready for the next trip. Great report loved all the pictures.
    Have a lovely day.

• Options

Thank you so much for this lovely review. We have been debating; you have convinced me that this tour would be a good fit for our 50th anniversary next year,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file