are my new Loubis sneakers consider a weapon per TSA

I got my new Loubis... planning on wearing them during my trip.. but! I had last night a nightmare that TSA would take them away because of the spikes. Would this silly people consider them a dangerous weapon ? for what I paid, I would roll over naked around the airport to make it to the news... but I'm not giving them away. NOPE!
anyone with connections that could ask, Please!!! :)))
Checkout my babies....

Comments

• those definitely are a statement!! My friend works for TSA in Boston. I'm going to message her and ask.

• I think that shoes with spikes are prohibited.

• Thank you Kathy0529
    I Love them and they are all SOLD OUT!! so no way to re-order them.

• yw! Message sent...will let you know.

I have no clue how the TSA would be overseas though.

• Thanks Kathy0529.

• yw! I was googling...if you can't wear them on the plane, you may be able to check them.

• You're a brave woman mil - or at least a much less clutzy one than I. No way I could wear those without injuring myself. Best of luck getting thru tsa.

• I never like to look like a rich American when abroad, it puts an extra target on my back.

• HI...rec'd a response from my friend. She's been doing TSA for many years now.

her response:
    "If she puts them into her checked bag they shouldn’t be a problem…I wouldn’t wear them into the airport…just in case ya know…if it was me, I’d say they are fine but some new people think they are out to save the world one pair of sneakers at a time…lmao…so I’d say check them in don’t wear em"

• I could potentially leave them home 😂… I wouldn’t want to ruin my trip by loosing them and I’m not to confident about baggage handlers .. and at this point being completely sold out , if I loose them it would be a total disappointment.
    Thanks everyone

• My husband has a built up shoe because polio left one leg shorter. TSA here and abroad love to get his shoes off. I have also learned not to wear undergarments with any wire support. Any metal could possibly be an issue.

• I often wear pants with zipped pockets. I was once disciplined at security for wearing them. The sneakers, I’d be concerned about putting them in checked luggage, leave them at home, who do you want to impress with expensive shoes?
    Example, On our Patagonia tour, the TD told us to remove all jewelry when we got to Buenos Aries, even if it was not valuable. As we arrived, she said, I see people wearing watches, take them off…yep people still had on their Rolex watches. We were encouraged to just carry one credit card around and a bit of cash. We did that, it was quite freeing as we walked around the lovely craft market, there was nothing that could be stolen from us.
    Paris is the worst we have seen and have had a couple of friends have experience there too, theft snd violent attacks. Followed by Rome, where I was almost swept off my feet by someone who had snatched a woman’s bag, they dashed past me and I got whirled around as they knocked into me.
    No metal in my underwear, not going to go to that extreme…the detector wand hovers over me for a long time and I get thorough pat downs in that area.

• To my frustration I'm more than well endowed and always wear an underwire bra. I've never had the slightest problem with security screening. In fact I make it a practice to go thru ahead of my husband so one of us can monitor our bags as they come thru. My husband can almost strip naked and set off alarms.

• I once forgot to take my clip on fitbit off and put it in my purse thru TSA and the female agent had to pull me to the side. When I saw the highlighted area, I knew what it was and apologized for forgetting. She was super mean to me and said "ma'am we are checking for bombs". I was very apologetic and said I wasn't trying to make their jobs difficult, I just forgot. This was very early and not busy at all at the airport so it wasn't super crowded, but she had me in tears. The next TSA agent apologized to me for her coworker because there was no need for her to be so rude. Just to note - I do think they have a lot to deal with and would never do anything to not comply and cause any issues for them...this was a simple mistake on my part, but not one that deserved that treatment.

• milmil
    edited June 2021

Dear British , " who do you want to impress with expensive shoes?..." no one really!, I wear things because I like them and I can afford them! .. I don't need to pretend or splash what I have....... I'm a independent woman with her own job and no dependents... .
    About the underwire bra...Yes. I had a very unfriendly woman at Schiphol checking me ... I requested a guy, but they didn't think it was funny! :smiley: but only that one time in 39 years of travels.
    some TSA people are rude .. but I do understand them in a way... there are some people out there.. that really....
    and regarding the shoes.. Yes! I'm leaving them home.

Thanks Kathy0529 & everyone...

I might limit the computer use this weekend, even with AC. we're starting today a heatwave... Sat. 96-Sunday 100- Mon. 103, Tues.108
    I'm going to wear $10 flip flops!

https://www.axios.com/unprecedented-heat-wave-pacific-northwest-2dfe1e94-9553-45ef-b77b-651f69119798.html

• I have ‘pre check’ … and I have new knees … cobalt and titanium. It always takes me a ‘week’ to get through security.

• Mil, ok I get you. But you still miss my point that drawing attention to yourself in certain countries is not a good idea. Years ago in Europe, the thieves would check out people’s watches as an indicator of wealth. If you were walking on the sidewalk, they might sweep by you on a scooter and try to grab it off your arm or cut your bag from your shoulder, people have had rings snatched. I’m not making this up….just one example is someone I know who was in Paris, a thief grabbed her bag and ran off, her husband ran after the person. His face was beaten to a pulp. Another friend was at the Louvre, an inexperienced friend was traveling with her, she told her not to look like a tourist, but no, she did not listen and wore a jacket with badges all over it of places she had been. She put her bag down to take a photo snd it was gone. The French police laughed at them
    I keep forgetting I am a millionaire and could buy some shoes like yours, there is a store in the Mall, it just never crosses my mind, maybe I should go in and take a look. I guess I’m just too practical and blunt with my opinions but I was trying to help you.

• You can never be too careful. I was staying with friends at a very upscale hotel in Thailand. We were leaving that day but went out that morning for a brief time. Our bags were packed but I left my valuables (some US cash and some Hong Kong money for our next stop) in the safe. But my friend didn’t. She had them in a zippered pouch in her suitcase. Upon our return, she realized her pouch was missing . Sadly, you must be very protective of your things and not tempt others.

• NancyCohen sad to hear... Yeap it happens anywhere. I normally take only my watch but nothing more then that. and I never take it off.

• Someone on the Rick Steves forum asked if anti-theft bags worked and were worth the expense. My response was you wouldn't know unless someone tried to rob you. I figure the thieves are smart enough to recognize the anti-theft bags and will move on to an easier target. Plus I've found ones that weren't expensive and are convenient to use. The last I bought is a sort of wallet plus that can be worn cross body or around the waist. For touring I use it around the waist preferably under a jacket as it doesn't pull on my neck or shoulder. It carry my phone, the sm amount of cards/cash I bring, lipgloss, tiny pull box, and a few other small items. I liked it so well I bought another in a different color and now wear it most of the most when running errands at home. For day touring I sometimes take a cheap thin backpack that non-valuables go into like tissues, water, hat, etc.

• Even the experts can be victims. No too long ago, Rick Steves was a victim- in Rome or Paris?

• Paris on a train or metro.

• milmil
    edited June 2021

My best anti-theft bag is a money belt under my underwear..... besides that, all I carry is my camera and a bottle of water.- hands free to take lots of pictures...
    Yes, Paris is famous for people getting hit.

• I'm with British. They're beautiful, but consider leaving the designer wardrobe items at home. Travel's complicated enough right now; why wear your bank account, or an American flag, on your back, or feet? p.s. I had to Google Loubis, so this is not my wheelhouse lol.

• p.s. Items do disappear. Once when I unpacked from London, I found an empty whisky box in my suitcase. I had unwisely packed my favorite Rochester ginger drink in a box, found in bin at home, from an expensive brand. Will never know if it was pilfered at LHR or during domestic stop. Would love to have seen that face after bubblewrap came off!

• edited June 2021

The trademark red soles would be a dead giveaway to thief looking for a valuable item.

• MarketArt & Ken From Vegas.... Hi, being the red soles is exactly why, I would not send them in checked bags.
    and also I was only planning on wearing them inside the hotels anyways.. so it's not a big deal. I have plenty opportunities to wear them here at home....
    Thanks everyone

• I almost had my purse stolen while riding the metro in Spain, thanks to a fellow passenger that pushed the thief who was a very young boy off it didn't happen.

• Mil: it’s a bit ironic that you are/were taking your Louboutins to Egypt. I recently read that Christian Louboutin (the designer) was raised in Paris with his 3 sisters. For whatever reason, he felt different from his sisters - never felt ‘French’. As a child, he invented a family history filled with characters from Egypt because he was into pharaohs. In 2014, he found out the family secret: his biological father was in fact Egyptian with whom his mother had a secret affair! Currently he has a number of homes, including a home in Luxor. Now you know the rest of the story! So if your Loubis aren’t making it to Egypt, you may be able to see the real living Loubi there!