Options

Luggage considerations: to check or not to check? To carry on only instead?

Comments

• Options

Do you ladies want input from a guy? No?!?! Never mind!!

• Options

AlanS comes with a tremendous portfolio so he knows what he's talking about. :D

• Options
    edited June 2022

British it is my opinion that you are a very charming ,interesting and intelligent person from your posts. My grandmother always told me you cannot buy class and charm with a silk gown and diamonds. I’ve found over the years most people worth knowing prefer the class and charm🤔. I’ve also spent time with some very wealthy people as my husband worked in the financial and reporting sector of big Oil companies in Texas and Oklahoma ( not that we were in the same$ league with these very wealthy people) Many times I went to events overdressed and some underdressed as my sweet husband always said you will look wonderful no matter what you wear. I was always welcomed more warmly by the true elites than by the ones that had just spent their poor husbands bonus for the year on a fancy outfit. Be comfortable and enjoy life and travel on!

• Options
    edited June 2022

Yes yes, I’ve also found that those with new money are more snobby than those with old money. We mix with the so called elite and the lower classes, which is more my end of the spectrum 😂. Education is the key, oh and a sense of humor! This is only of country a very general statement. Tonight I’m going to ‘gussy up’ an American term I’ve learned…Dinner and the theatre….and I don’t have to worry about getting my fancy clothes in a suitcase 😂😂😂

• Options

I never take fancy clothes on a trip and flat shoes are my companion, the more I travel the less clothes I pack, like British It doesn't matter to me what other people think. On a river cruise last August in the States there was a couple that changed 3 times a day and their looks were coordinated, there's always a bit of everything on a trip and my motto is "to each it's own".

• Options

We have back-to-back land tours scheduled in September, Classic Italy followed by Switzerland Crown Jewels for a total of 29 days including pre-tour days in Italy. Our last trip was 19 days long (pre-tour time in Amsterdam and 15 day river cruise to Budapest). We had two 19" suitcases, two small backpacks and did just fine. Yes, we took advantage of the laundry service on the boat and washed some clothes in the sink. Since our upcoming tours will require changing hotels frequently we are hesitant to use just the 19" suitcases. Our estimate is that 1/3 of clothing we take will be used either in Italy or Switzerland (warm weather clothing in Italy and cool weather clothing in Switzerland) and 2/3 of our clothing will be used on both trips. We are thinking of taking everything we need for Italy in one 25" suitcase and putting things we need for Switzerland only in a 19" suitcase so we only need to pack and repack one suitcase during our travels in Italy. At the end of that trip we'll move things around and put everything we need for Switzerland in the larger suitcase, and again will only have to pack and repack one suitcase during our travels. We will be traveling from Venice to Lausanne by train, with a connection in Milan. Taking the one larger suitcase would make moving from hotel to hotel easier, but two 19" suitcases would make the train trip easier. We have a direct flight and will check both bags. We always carry extra clothing in our backpacks. We will be in the same hotel for the first five nights of the trip. Hopefully if our bags get lost, they will catch up to us by then. Does this seem like a logical plan, or as my husband tells me, I am overthinking the entire process.

• Options

Jersey Girl and Guy, I am definitely overthinking everything at this point. I think you're planning is better than mine, though, I have to admit! We are going for only 2 weeks with minimal climate change so I should definitely aspire to packing lighter! Thanks for your thoughts!

• Options

Jersey girl I think you're over thinking a bit only because having done the Switzerland tour in Sep last year I can say that it's really hard to predict the weather there. You need cold weather stuff for the day at Jungfrau Joch (walking on snow and ice) yet it could be really warm at the Italian end of the tour. I wished I'd taken a pair of capris or at least some shorts for the hotel room. The good part is there's little need for dress up outfits.

• Options

Use packing cubes.

• Options

I always use packing cubes, even on the K&T and Botswana safaris where I used them in my Tauck duffel bag. :) I use the dual sided/zippered cubes- clean clothes on the net side and dirty on the solid side. I usually use at least 3 cubes- one for socks, one for underwear, and one for shirts.

• Options

I also always use packing cubes. They really are space savers and help with organizing. However, I don’t think all my stuff will fit in the Tauck duffel for a 2-week K&T even with limiting my clothes to only lightweight travel pants and safari shirts. I bring an extra empty cube for dirty clothes.

• Options

I use compression cubes and love them.

• Options
    edited June 2022

We are also a fan of the cubes. It has made searching thru the luggage for various pieces for unmentionables so much easier and I can fit more in the suit cases.

• Options

I use packing cubes and several smaller zippered bags for specific purposes like charging cables. Many I've sewn so I can make exactly what a need. In part it's to keep me organized but also in case my bags get searched. I don't want someone else riffling thru my unmentionables.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Since, regardless of tour, you can always expect an early morning go these are my nighttime routines-

K&T and other safaris- shower and change into next day's clothes before dinner, dirty clothes in dirty side of cubes.
    Regular tour (unless semi fancy dinner)- after dinner, layout clothes for the next day and stow dirty clothes in dirty side of cube.

That way I don't waste any time selecting and donning clothes in the morning- just morning bathroom routine, get dressed and go. (I also prep camera/accessories and other items that may be needed- tissues, rain jacket, etc.)

• Options
    edited June 2022

We use packing cubes
    JanPage, the duffels are huge!

• Options
    edited June 2022

(late response to earlier comments) I agree, we are all too wise and experienced to waste time worrying about what others think. I am often in skirts while traveling, so look dressed up even when not trying. Strangers are always admiring my eyeglasses ((found the frames in Milan); I like to keep the attention at brain level. Jewelry and scarves are a practical way for women to change to evening wear in a few seconds and don't waste precious luggage space. Decades ago b/f wheelies I spent a week in Europe with nothing but a duffel bag, the good old days! May just have to try that again, thanks OT34.

• Options
    edited June 2022

• Options
    edited June 2022

MarketArt
    8:33AM edited 9:31AM
    Strangers are always admiring my eyeglasses ((found the frames in Milan);

Little known factoid- I saw a 60 Minutes episode once about eyeglasses- There is one company, Luxottica (Essilor/Luxottica as of May 2019), based in Milan, Italy that, according to many sources, has essentially cornered the market on glasses. One claim was Luxottica controls 80% of the major brands, but in a company statement, Luxottica strongly disputed that figure. Snopes has quite a write-up. Whatever the true number is, it is still a fact that they own outright many online vendors and retail outfits like LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Sunglass Hut, and brands like Ray-Ban and Oakley, and are the exclusive maker and supplier of glasses to other vendors in the US and worldwide, including brands sold by Google, Sears, Target, up to high end brands like Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, etc. etc.!!!

Here is a link to an article about them in Forbes (may need subscription): https://www.forbes.com/sites/anaswanson/2014/09/10/meet-the-four-eyed-eight-tentacled-monopoly-that-is-making-your-glasses-so-expensive/?sh=1d8a487f6b66

• Options

All my glasses have to be prescription. I wear prescription glasses over my medically dependent contact lenses. Yes, over my contact lenses. Left contact lens is a blue tint so I know which one to put where. Right eye is practically blind; left eye is normal. I’m a bit of an anomaly.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Mine are Res Rei, relatively new company that claims to be independent, "handmade in Italy with love." I have a small bridge and was having trouble finding a frame here; it took some searching in several towns in Italy. Had prescription filled when I got home.

• Options

AlanS
    I saw a 60 Minutes episode

For me, 60 Minutes lost all credibility when the truth came out about Dan (I'd) Rather (make stuff up)

• Options

My goal is to learn to travel with carry on only!In the process I am packing less ;learning to mix and match but have not mastered that yet.I will never forget a family with two grown kids who travelled with us in Australia and NewZealand trip with only carry on and backpacks.It does not matter what kind of carry on.Even though we can take 2 suit cases per person I would never do that.

• Options

It”s one suitcase per person

• Options

A related question:

Do you fold or roll clothes?

• Options

😂Roll

• Options
    edited June 2022

Marie Kondo fold. But not for everything.

• Options

Two suitcases for air .

• Options

Yes, but Tauck asks for just one suitcase each. It doesn’t matter what the air rules are.

• Options

I use packing envelopes, not cubes, so folding works better for us. Our luggage has a garment compartment that is ideal for jackets, slacks and dresses. I have also sewn cubes with individual, multi-sized compartments that work well for jewelry, hearing aid charger, make-up, scarves and other odds and ends. I have sewn/embroidered labels on airline amenity kits and use them for toiletry items. The surplus kits I give to friends/family with their initials sewn on the outside.

Hint - the clear, vinyl, zippered cases that some sheets come in work great for other items that are suitable for rolling...undergarments, et al.