Options

Per The forum- experts " Covid vaccine 2023-2024"

Comments

• Options

After trying online for several days, I was finally able to book COVID (Moderna Spikevax) and Flu shots at our local Rite Aid. The first available appointments were for 20 Oct. I booked for the next day since it is a Saturday and I'll have the chicken soup ready just in case. I'm like Ina Garten (Food Network)...I roast a chicken every Friday afternoon!

• Options

Getting my vaccine right now and in line at the Walgreens pharmacy. Long line.

• Options

Got mine today at Walgreens in Oro Valley, AZ. Had an appointment I'd set up online and was taken in a bit early and done quickly. So far very little soreness and no other side effects.

• Options
    edited September 2023

I too went to Walgreen’s (in Englewood NJ) yesterday. Even though I had an appointment, the process was inefficient. I was there for 1 hour. My Covid shot was easy - my arm has no soreness at all. My flu shot arm is quite sore. This too shall pass. Onward toward packing for October 12th departure!

• Options

I had flu shot 2 days go (CVS) and Moderna Spikevax yesterday (Walgreens). Wasn't crowded in either place. I filled out the "paperwork" for Walgreens online and they said their system was down, so they couldn't retrieve it, so I had to fill it out there on paper.

Woke up this morning with mild soreness in my arm. No other issues.

• Options
    edited September 2023

I had my Spikefax yesterday. I took ibuprofen half an hour before. I surprised myself, no soreness whatsoever. The appointment needed to be done online but what I don’t understand is that why can’t there be some sort of computer sign-in by the pharmacy inside Walgreens so people can get help signing in. The very elderly aren’t always computer savvy. I witnessed this by just watching people coming in wanting an appointment. Just a thought.

• Options

i don't remember what vaccine it was, but i remember helping someone by using the app on my phone and signing up a "guest". Pretty sure this was pre-COVID. The individual had come to walgreens and they were sent away with the instructions to sign up at home. There was no way the individual was going to be able to set up an appointment. Similarly, we have to set up all my MIL's.

It was even worse when we were all trying to get the first COVID vaccinations. There were four of us on computers trying to get one for my MIL. Finally my son, computer skilled, wrote a program to monitor appointment openings of a particular site and send him an alert. It did take about 3 alerts before he was fast enough in his response (first two he had left the room). I don't know how the elderly without family/friend tech support ever got a vaccination.

• Options

I do hope we can just get a walk in appointment for our Covid shot when we get home around October 9th
    Re taking ibrufen before the Covid shot, I recall it is not recommendied because it stops the body’s immune system being so efficient at responding to the vaccine. If our arms get sore after our vaccine it’s not for at least several hours. We find it Interesting that my husband feels the soreness hours before I do.

• Options

It is interesting about the difference in distribution of the 2023-2024 vaccine in other parts of the country. We have an appointment at a CVS near our home for next Tuesday afternoon. Our first vaccines were administered at our local Methodist Hospital When the hospital stopped administering the vaccine we got our vaccines at our HEB pharmacy (a Texas grocery chain). HEB always has received Covid vaccines about 2 weeks after CVS and Walgreens. Since we are about to leave for a Tauck trip in Italy we decided to make the appointment with CVS instead of waiting for HEB to get the vaccine. We have taken all the Covid shots with no issues. Some Pfizer and some Moderna. We now have multiple pages on our vaccination certificate. Methodist Hospital also records each of shots and we can get a one page printout of where each vaccination was given, and which vaccine

• Options

British, my endocrinologist and internist and oncologist mentioned it is ok to take ibuprofen. Plus, my husband is a physician.

• Options

CVS in Massachusetts seems to have problems, my appt for tomorrow was cancelled. But Walgreens seems to have it

• Options

This is what I recall, but it was in 2021, so it may be out of date. For us, we personally don’t need pain medication before a vaccine, I just use my relaxation technique. I did recommend pain medication to my patients before suture removal and things like that.

Available clinical evidence regarding other vaccines indicate that analgesics/antipyretics are commonly used around the time of vaccination to ameliorate fever and pain, and the use is primarily post vaccination.Although the results of several studies show that prophylactic analgesic/antipyretic administration decreases post-vaccination adverse reactions, there are also study results showing that their use may decrease the antibody responses to several vaccine antigens

• Options

In Tucson, Walgreens has the problems. I had an appointment to get a flu shot, RSV, and Covid. I filled out the forms online, showed up at the directed time, to find out they were no longer doing shots. Walgreens' online system has no connection to reality at any given store, at least in Tucson.

This is the second time this has happened to me at a Walgreens, the first being early in the initial Covid attempts to get a shot.

• Options

When we had appts at Walgreens last year we showed up and were waiting with a bunch of others with appts. Their computer listed appts but no body made sure there was staff to do it. Eventually got ours but long wait. Fingers crossed for tomorrow AM.

• Options

It’s absolutely ridiculous that in this country, vaccine admin is so screwed up! Agree that elderly without computer savvy are really stuck. There should be a manual system for those individuals, and they should not be turned away.

• Options
    edited September 2023

I have COVID nails. Every spring my fingernails fall out. I will have to think about more shots. I’ve had five. On our just completed tour two people out of forty got COVID. No one wore masks.

• Options

@marla526 I feel like the elderly get forgotten in many ways. I feel bad for those that do not have family to help them.

• Options

Before work continues on AI, RI (real incompetence) should be fixed.

• Options

Smiling Sam - Today we are going to Walgreens on Craycroft and River to get the flu and Covid shots. Next Wednesday we have another appointment for our RSV shot. Hope all goes well!

• Options

It really shouldn't be so difficult. The Walgreens or CVS systems should only allow an appointment at a store to be created if there is an unassigned (meaning it isn't already being saved for a previous appointment) vaccine. Walk-ups should only be allowed in those same conditions, that there are unassigned vaccines.

If the case of unforeseen circumstances, like an employee not showing up or having to leave for some reason, which then leaves the store short handed the system should be equipped to immediately send out texts/emails to all people with appointments that will be affected since shots won't be able to be administered in the short handed situation. These people should then be apologized to and presented with alternatives for rescheduling their appointments.

Neither of these steps seems to happen, especially the later step. The store just lets people show up for their appointments and then says "Sorry, Next in Line".

The ability to actually deliver a shot (meaning they have a vaccine and staff to administer the shot) seems almost random.

People moan about government inefficiency, but this system shows that private enterprise doesn't have their act together either.

• Options

At my local Walgreen’s, the person tasked with logging in each person wanting a shot (without even asking if they had an appointment) was also responsible for answering the phone. She was constantly interrupted! The person in front of me in line (a man in his 40’s/50’s with his 2 teenaged sons) had no appointment, and didn’t complete any forms prior to coming) forgot his insurance cards. Left his sons at counter to complete the forms with the pharmacy clerk. He returned 30 minutes later. The sons were still working on forms with the clerk. I was very annoyed. I arrived at 3:20 for a 3:30 appointment. I was finally given my shots at 4:30. A bad system. And yes, I did speak with the pharmacist and store manager.

• Options

I just got my Covid vaccine at CVS (where I had gotten my flu shot 2 weeks ago). I specifically asked the pharmacist whether it was the newly-approved vaccine, and she said that that is the only Covid vaccine that they have and the only one they are allowed to sell.

• Options

There was a NY Times article explaining what happened with this rollout yesterday. Seems the blame is not as we thought

• Options

What did the article say?

• Options

We both got our covid and flu vaccines at Walgreens this morning. Very little wait. IfWe had filled out our forms ahead of time and we are in their system so they didn't even ask about insurance or need to see cards -thankfully as my husband informed me on the way that he couldn't find his. Headed to Costco after for dinner options were that need very little cooking and some comfort snacks - just in case. 😎

• Options

BKMD, It’s not even 4am and my brain is less engaged than usual, but it was enlightening!

• Options

Here’s the NYT article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/22/well/covid-vaccine-booster-insurance.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare
    New Covid Vaccine Rollout Is Slowed by Insurance and Supply Snags

• Options

NYTimes never lets me read their articles. If anyone is willing to share bullet points, it would be much appreciated. (sister loves to send me links to them, which I can never read either)

• Options
    edited September 2023

Sherrill … tell your sister she can share NYTimes articles with you by clicking on the icon under the title paragraph. I believe you can share 10 free per month. People posting here should do it the same way.