Options

Non Disclosure of total costs- AWFUL!

Comments

• Options
    edited April 29

This topic and specific question come up regularly. No one has ever admitted to using or trying to use a check. Most ATM's will dispense enough cash for a normal 14 day or less tour, e.g. for a couple, $12 X 2 X 14 = $336 for the TD and $8 X 2 X 14 = $224 for the coach driver (may be 10 $ day). Africa tours where you may have multiple safari vehicle drivers are a special case. Also, don't forget, while it is generally recommended to pay in USD, many of us will first use any remaining local currency, then add USD to that to achieve the total.

• Options
    edited April 27

You cannot pay with a check. Partly because many Tour directors even if American don’t live in the US

• Options

To switch back to the original concern, while it is hard to imagine not knowing in advance that at least some tip might be necessary/considered, perhaps this is something that could be mentioned when a person is booking a trip. I notice the last couple of trips I booked that the activity level was very carefully spelled out by the agent, and for our Africa trip next year, the need for vaccines and visas. While a tip is indeed "fairy dust" it could be several hundred dollars, and that is not insignificant in my opinion. By the way, the website has an updated FAQ section where the tips are all spelled out. This topic has been a good reminder to do all the homework before any trip. (I see the Health and Safety paragraph has also been updated--my favorite topic :) I hope everyone gets a chance to review that.)

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 27

DonV
    Check! now... that's a concept, I havent had checks since 1990's... and I don't see any TD cashing a foreign check in a foreign bank , and it would take for ever to deposit and get the money.
    3-4 even 5 #100 bills don't take too much space.

• Options

On one tour, the enterprising TD said Venmo and Paypal were OK.

Regarding checks, there are a few options possible:
    1. I haven't deposited a paper check in a brick and mortar bank in several years. I use my bank's app and do mobile deposit.
    2. The TDs have stuff going back and forth to HQ regularly. It might be possible for them to send any checks received.

• Options
    edited April 27

On one tour, the enterprising TD said Venmo and Paypal were OK.

That's really a good way to do it. Safer than carrying a bunch of currency.

[Oh, if you pay a TD with PayPal, make sure to do it Friends and Family. Otherwise, PayPal takes a fairly significant bite out if it. Also, Friends and Family cannot be called back. Not that anyone would do it, but if it's a mercandise or service payment, the person paying can cancel the payment under certain conditions.]

• Options

Wan that's interesting about the agent mentioning the activity level for tours. I had that happen to me for the first time recently booking a Canadian tour. I wonder if TDs have been reporting more issues with guests not really able to keep up with the physical demands or pace of tours.

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 27

Wan: . (I see the Health and Safety paragraph has also been updated--my favorite topic :) I hope everyone gets a chance to review that.)

I sure hope Tauck gets tougher about physical limitations and activity levels...in the last 2 trips we had very nice but not fitted people that have shorten our visits and consequently disturb the flow of the trip.

Sorry, but it is very selfish to hold a group just because you cannot walk as fast with a cane and have to be taken on a wheeled chair. I understand if you fall during the tour and ended having issues to walk during the rest of the trip, that it's not planned and it can happen to anyone... or if you pinch a back nerve lifting a suitcase on the way...but to book a trip having walking problems, having to carry an oxygen tank etc... it's not fair. They need to realize how much time, money and planning others in the group had and to be shorten on time during a visit it's not fair.

Monkey temple Ubud Bali, 10 min. bathroom stop, 5 min. to see the monkeys, another 10 to get to the entrance .. and viola! time to go.
    Other Tauck tour groups from previous tours... same place spend 1.5- 2 hours visiting the place, the difference? we had an 80ish with a pelvic belt & cane... that had to stop every 3min to rest.
    Sorry, I may sound rude but I as a SOLO traveler, pay a lot of money, for these trips. A visit to the Zoo to see the monkey for 5 min. would have cost me $10-$15 . not Thousands...

• Lesson learn... if I want to see something specific, that it's not included on the itinerary, I skip the tour activity and I go on my own. If I want to stay longer in a place and I don't interrupt the flow of the tour I Stay. If I want to see something at the starting/ending cities I do Pre/Post days and do as I wish before or after the tour ends.
  • Options

British - You are correct in stating that it is $12 per day per person.  My husband takes care of the gratuities and puts it in an envelope before we leave with a nice thank you card.  We have been extremely lucky so far with excellent tour directors on all our trips with Tauck.  We haven't even thought about writing checks as we rarely write them even at home in Arizona.  We either make payments that are automatic out of our checking account or use our credit card. On a ten day trip we get two hundred dollar bills and a fifty easy to take and it give the TD an extra $10.00 which they deserve.

• Options

Speaking of tipping what is the usual and customary for restaurant tipping 15% 18 or not expected???

• Options
    edited April 27

Sheri_B51
    12:25PM
    Speaking of tipping what is the usual and customary for restaurant tipping 15% 18 or not expected???

If a Tauck organized and paid meal- 0% Tauck covers it.

Meal on you own dime- LYCBYG (let your conscience be your guide.) In the US it keeps changing- was 15% for years, now 20% is more common, some sources suggest even higher. You are not bound by the suggested amounts, but many restaurants (in an effort to make it easy?) list several suggested %/amounts on the bill. The range varies by restaurant- they can start and top out at widely and wildly different amounts. In Europe, where service staff typically earn a living wage, tipping is not as big a thing as it is in the US, the tip is usually closer to 10%, often included in the bill but not optional.

• Options

Sheri_B51,

In some countries, tipping is not expected; in others, it is considered rude.

Not expected - Australia, New Zealand, Scandinavia, particularly Denmark, Spain, parts of France, Switzerland.

British would probably be the best person to validate this, but I believe in Japan tipping is considered rude.

In many European countries it is customary to round up to the nearest dollar (or applicable foreign currency amount) for relatively inexpensive items; for restaurants 10% - 15%; for exceptional service in fine dining establishments, I give 20%.

• Options

Like Noreen, we always include a thank you card for the Tour Director and driver. When stopping at the roadside facilities, I typically purchase an inexpensive bag of candy for the driver and one for the Director for distribution to those on the bus. Such a simple act of kindness can go a very long way.

Although not required on the riverboats, I always make sure I have some Euros for the room attendant, bartender and server--we sit at the same table and get to know the server.

• Options

All of this is really good information. The people who post on this forum are good at seeking information, but for those who can't or won't, maybe this means that Tauck needs to increase their communication strategy. In fact, inadequate communication has been my one little negative feedback issue that I have had with Tauck. Whether it be for additional money to be spent on a trip, or how they will handle health issues, that should be sent directly from them loud and clear as soon as you book the trip. It always seemed to me that the packet sent one month before departure was arriving way too late.
    Yes: a lot of people simply decline to pay attention, but I still see some room for improvement on the part of Tauck.

• Options

Tauck is not going to tell you what color socks to wear. All the ‘necessary’ information is there, but some just don’t do their homework. I can’t get my wife to read the trip documents, that’s my job. I do think Tauck should provide a bit more detail information about how to fill out the visa applications … like the point of entry, and the ‘host’, and the addresses of the lodgings.

• Options
    edited April 27

On how to present the tip to the TD and coach driver, I used to use purchased Thank You notes. Then a few years ago I started bringing tourist postcards from where I live. I write a thank you note on the back. For envelopes I usually have extras leftover from Christmas cards that fit. I figure they shared their home (or region they like) with me and I want to share a bit of my home with them.

• Options

Claudia Sails, I do something quite similar. I take daily beach walks and usually present the TD with one of the note cards I make using my beachcombing photos. I love your idea of using local postcards.

• Options
    edited April 27

The problem with providing a high level of detail on the website, etc. is once they do that then they must keep the info updated which, as we have often seen, is no easy task. Incorrect information can actually be worse than no information at all. To get important or critical info not on the website or in our final documents, we call.

We take plain envelopes or use ones in the hotel for the tips, but on several occasions, have 'made' special ones. I take a blank standard #10 envelope and print on it a small color collage of places, animals, etc. we expect to see on tour. I leave a spot to write in the TD's and driver's names. Below are two examples. Sometimes we include a photo of ourselves so the TD will remember us or has something to throw darts at! :D:D:D We included a photo of us in safari gear from K&T for the Botswana tour tip envelope.

• Options

Nice job Alan. Next you'll be packing a printer and using the great photos you take.

• Options

Yes, that's a really good idea. I used to have a printer that would print envelopes but the one I have now will not do that.

I've been using a plain white envelope, with a note written on it.

• Options

Alan, can I hire you to make my thank you notes? These are great 👏

• Options

I agree with Wan, Tauck details for tours can be inaccurate and outdated. I’ve used other tour companies that do a much better job.
    Anyway, here’s some fun about tips and different nationalities… Right now, we are on a tour where absolutely everything is included. There are British, American, Australian and Belgians on the tour. We have had a different local tour guide in the three areas we have visited, they are excellent. So my American group of 12 decided we would give each guide $10 each for their three day stints. The British were reluctant to give more than $5 when they heard we were giving tips. The Australians were reluctant to give anything. The Belgians..2 of the three are British and I haven’t heard them say anything. Our new guide today is awesome

• Options

British, aren't you on a riverboat cruise? I'd expect all tips to be included. Perhaps that isn't the case for the tour company you are using.

• Options

Back to the original comment:
    Tauck does clearly disclose their tipping policy (although not the recommended amount) in their Travel Terms and Conditions, found at the bottom of the main Tauck webpage. As others have mentioned it also is mentioned on the tour pages and in the tour documents with specifics as to the amount. Here what it says in the relevant terms:

INCLUDED IN A TAUCK TRIP

Gratuities for Tauck Directors are included in the pricing for Bridges trips and for all Small Ship and River Cruises.

NOT INCLUDED IN TAUCK TRIP

Tauck Director and Driver gratuities are not included and are voluntary for all land tours, with the exception of Bridges family trips and Small Ship and River Cruises, as noted above.

I certainly read the Terms and Conditions whenever I use a new tour company. I think everyone should, just as a precaution.

Tipping the TD on land tours has been the standard in the 20 years that I've traveled with Tauck and probably dates back to Arthur Sr. The tours where tipping is included are (IMHO) those where multiple TDs or drivers make the tipping impractical. Back in 2007, when we did the Treasures of the Aegean Windstar cruise, tipping the TD was not included, but we were only one busload with one TD.

• Options

I wonder if Arthur Sr. put tips in one of his aluminum coin trays? :) Speaking of Tauck history, anyone know it there will be some specials (tours, deals, merch, etc.) to celebrate 100 years running tours?

• Options

Alan S. I have just received Tauck’s 100 year travel catalog in the mail celebrating 100 years and from what I can see, I don’t notice anything “special” or significantly different to signify or celebrate 100 years in the travel industry. Anyone else notice anything coming up?

• Options

Alan - thast reminds me that they haven't showe3d the video on the history of Tauck, including the coin tray, on my last 3 or 4 trips. Seemed it disappeared along with the group photos.

• Options

Alan, I just have to say that your customized envelopes are so cool. Brilliant idea and a fun way of tipping.

• Options

Alan - Not really merchandise, but every brochure Tauck is now putting out recognizes/celebrates the 100 years.

• Options

My sister has a picture (somewhere) of us in front of the Wigwam Restaurant on the Mohawk Trail wearing identical outfits when I was five years old. That was a place on Arthur Sr’s. first tours. It is a beautiful drive. That was before the interstate highway system was built, and it took three days to get from Chicago to Gloucester, MA. We stayed mostly in what today are known as B&Bs … then they were called ‘guest houses’.