Preparing for K & T - Questions for those who have gone before

We will be on a departure this July, and are starting to get prepared. A few questions as we do so:

1) For those who use daily contacts, has the dust or extended period in a moving vehicle caused problems. We are thinking that a wrap around sunglass would be helpful? But we are not sure about the late-day drives. Are any after sundown or at a point when sunglasses are no longer useful?

2) On a related note, for someone with a night vision impairment, how much by way of activity might be hampered?

3) I know some bring their own binoculars, either out of personal preference, compact nature of their own, etc.... But if one did not bring, are they provided by the local guides?

4) Cameras I imagine are a matter of preference and convenience, combined with level of skill, with some going the IPhone route, some point and shoot, and some bridge/DSLR. Are tripods or monopods useful, or do they get in the way in the vehicle?

5) My wife is 100% vegan and we have put in a request for vegan food. What are general meal offerings like?

6) I know plastic bags are not allowed in the countries. Does that extend to small plastic pill-pak pouches with a zip-loc seal that we carry and then reuse next trip?

7) We are transiting through Nairobi on the way to Arusha. In the event of problems with our flights, I know there are shuttles that run to Arusha from Nairobi which could make a nice backup plan. Has anyone done one, whether public or private?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited February 2022

sevenseas
    February 16 in Kenya & Tanzania

1) N/A unknown

2) I suspect none- unless we had one of the few night vision goggles we couldn't see anything at night anyway, except when the driver shined a spotlight on it. When they did that, it made the night vision goggles useless.

3) Brought them rarely used them- most animals worth seeing you will see up close. Drivers usually carried them and would occasionally share, but not sure how that fits COVID precautions.

4) Cameras- personal preference. Get in the way, no room nor time to set up tripods, probably similar with monopods- you stay in the vehicle 99% of the time. Some have used small bean bags when taking photos from flip up top, but do you want to carry the extra weight in your bags?

5) Food is good. You can check menus of some places online. Vegetarian is one thing, but 100% vegan might be problematic. What has Tauck said?

6) Plastic zippered cosmetic and toiletry pouches and bags are fine. What the laws were aimed at were plastic shopping and large trash bags. Your e-Green Book should have more info.

7) Do you mean shuttle bus? I have never heard of anyone doing that, but would think that it is way too long of a drive and a real COVID trap. The best option might be take the next ProFlight hop to Arusha. Are you going a day or two early? Something you might seriously consider.

• edited February 2022

Binoculars, if you have them and know how to use them, bring them, better to have them than not…we have always found them useful on these tours.
    Vegan..could be a problem
    Shuttle bus…that’s a long way and to another country, no, never heard and would not do it because of Covid restriction and testing between countries. I just checked the distance between the two places, 170 miles, which with roads in Africa is a long long way.
    Why not fly directly to Arusha, that’s what we have done on three trips there. We have used the routes via Amsterdam and the Qatar air option via Doha. I would avoid going through Nairobi at all costs on the outward journey. I’m also not sure how it would work if Covid testing is still an issue with the time limits on them.

1. Wearing contacts was not a problem. I brought a good pair of regular sunglasses.
    2. There is one night game drive.
    3. We brought binoculars and used them a lot. They are not provided.
    4. I liked having a small camera with a wrist band, but a lot of people used phones.
    5. I would contact Tauck about vegan.
    6. Toiletry bags should not be a problem.
    7. I agree that the shuttle is probably not a good plan. In addition to Covid concerns, I would be concerned about safety.
  • All the advice above is absolutely correct. Your in for a real treat that will change your life. You will always look at Zoos differently after this trip. My only add is about the camera. We have the newest iPhone and gambled on our K&T trip and took pictures only on iPhone. You get SO close the the animals, a special camera is not really needed. We took some really amazing pictures, print and frame worthy with our iPhones. We we so pleased we continued using only this in Antarctica and Morocco with equal success. The only thing I would caution is you really need to buy a wrist strap off of Amazon. Driving in those bumpy jeeps with your head and iPhone hanging out would be chancy. The Maasai tribe made colorful pictures. Have fun.

• edited February 2022

sevenseas

I have one additional comment about cameras, beyond AustinGirl's comments.

AustinGirl
    My only add is about the camera. We have the newest iPhone and gambled on our K&T trip and took pictures only on
    iPhone. You get SO close the the animals, a special camera is not really needed. We took some really amazing
    pictures, print and frame worthy with our iPhones.

I generally agree with AustinGirl w/r to cameras, but it seems to me taking pictures is like religion, everyone has their own opinion about what is sufficient.

For me, even the new iPhones (I have an iPhone 13 Pro) quickly lose resolution and quality when zooming. So if you think you ever want to take any pictures of the animals when then aren't SO close, then you might want to consider a camera choice that provides better options for distant shots.

• Thank you all for your feedback, which was helpful, clear and consistent.

On the transfer, I was just asking as a backup plan, but it is clearly a no go. A great benefit of this forum and everyone's willingness to give feedback. We are scheduled to arrive two days early, so there is no particular worry. Our flight is direct from JFK to Nairobi, with a 3 hour transiting layover for the short leg to Arusha. Same airline. I just like to have options and was preparing.

Thanks again

• Here is a photo of a holder I use for my iPhone. It’s great for hanging round my neck and very secure in a moving bumpy vehicle. Several people have asked me where I got it but I know it does not fit Samsung phones because I let some try it on theirs and it was too small They come in all color s

Amazon of course!

• That looks similar to one I used with my S4 and though a bit tight I can get my S8 into. It doesn't have the card slot the gear beast has. I have 2 different cases for my phone and used a stick on silicon card slot on one for travel. Very handy on cruise ships or hotels when I just want my phone and room key card.

• Sevenseas: As an Optician, I can tell you .. you won't have any problem, wearing any type of Cl's , on the plane your eyes might get dry- use eye drops during the flight. The dust can be present in certain places but nothing horrible- just wear the sunglasses while driving through the dust.

2) On a related note, for someone with a night vision impairment, how much by way of activity might be hampered?

The National parks & reserves normally close at sunset. - Only certain companies and with special permits will be allowed at nighttime, mostly Photographic Safaris.

3) I know some bring their own binoculars, either out of personal preference, compact nature of their own, etc.... But if one did not bring, are they provided by the local guides?

Not sure, if some camps rent them, call Tauck- they will ask the TD or better off email the hotels directly.
    you can also rent them at www.borrowlenses.com (any type of equipment) great serv. good $$ .

4) Cameras I imagine are a matter of preference and convenience, combined with level of skill, with some going the IPhone route, some point and shoot, and some bridge/DSLR. Are tripods or monopods useful, or do they get in the way in the vehicle?

Take which ever camera you like, just make sure if new.. to learn how to use it before the trip, no one will have the time to teach or help you if things don't work out.
    NO TRIPODS! you won't have the time or space to set it up, jeeps may stop next to a lion, etc.. for a few min, maybe even 10 min. but normally they are always on the lookout, so they are moving all the time & quickly.
    No need to overdo it, stay away from heavy equipment, camera body with a 80-400 lens or a 70-200 will do and your cell phone.
    I made the mistake of taking 3 lenses and I only used the 80-400 Nikon + cell - you don't want to be changing lenses in the middle of some kill or when elephants walk next to you in Amboseli, not to tell you ... but I came back with my left arm totally destroyed, need it therapy for several months and still not perfect. in the Jeeps you have to hold yourself as the top is open and carrying the lens it's a challenge. No need for the Bean Bags- Tauck safaris are not Photographic Safaris... you are always moving around-

5) My wife is 100% vegan and we have put in a request for vegan food. What are general meal offerings like?

Food is delicious and they do accommodate to your needs.

6) I know plastic bags are not allowed in the countries. Does that extend to small plastic pill-pak pouches with a zip-loc seal that we carry and then reuse next trip?

The plastic grocery and garbage bags are prohibited.

7) We are transiting through Nairobi on the way to Arusha. In the event of problems with our flights, I know there are shuttles that run to Arusha from Nairobi which could make a nice backup plan. Has anyone done one, whether public or private?

In Nairobi.. I would recommend staying at a well-known hotel if you miss connecting flight and need to spend the night. Nairobi is not the place to adventure on your own... or get creative with public transportation... if you want to have a plan B- track down a local tourist Agency- check Tripadvisor and get in contact with them, let them know your concerns and maybe set up a plan B with them, not on your own or in any public bus.. Unless you are planning on not coming back ever...

NOTE!!!
    One thing that nobody talks about or tells you regarding camera equipment and dust while in a Safari - not only is not recommended to switch lenses because of the dust, BUT!!! your camera might get stock- if the motion sensor is dirty. I thought my camera had broken because I could not shut a picture and then a guide told me clean the outside sensor which I did with my finger and that was it! my camera started working back again, Uff ! I almost had a heart attack- I had rented the lens and the camera was dead, shoot me!

Sevenseas enjoy your trip, it is Amazing and just to let you know... Africa is super addicting, it is the best!

• cell phones get daily pass from Att or any company that will offer s it.- You pay $10.00 for a 24hour use. - and it doesn't use your data. -
    Africa is fully cover. call your phone carrier and they will set it up for you.

• My family and I are a departure in August. Does any one have any other thoughts about the best lens or lenses to use with a DSLR body? I usually travel with a 24-105mm, a 16-35mm and a telephoto zoom which I vary based on the destination. I’ve read all the posts about dust and not changing lenses on the vehicles so it seems like a telephoto zoom is likely the best bet and if an animal is super close, using my iPhone is likely a better bet than switching lenes. Any thoughts about bringing a second body so I have two possible lens without changing in the field? Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts.

• scsmithwy I carried a DSLR with a 18-270 lens. I got great shots as you are really close to the animals. I would not recommend carrying a second body. Hope this helps. Enjoy your tour!

• edited February 2022

As mil and others have said, you really don’ t want to be changing lenses during game drives- too much dust, BUT ALSO, too much bouncing- you are either stopped for a very brief time, before the driver quickly repositions the vehicle (they give everyone in the vehicle and other vehicles a chance for a good view) and/or you are moving on to another sighting- bouncing, rocking and rolling down rutted, un-improved dirty and dusty trails- too hazardous and too little time to swap lenses unless you are really good at it. The drivers don’t waste time and don’t cruise slowly- it can be a mad dash to beat other vehicles to the next sighting- all vehicles (Tauck and other) in the area exchange sighting info on the radio so everyone is heading to the same sightings.

At one time I was going to take two cameras so I wouldn’t have to swap lenses. I wisely thought better. I have a Canon and nowvuse a Tamron 16-300mm lens only, ALL the time. It handles 98% of all shooting situations and the only lens I use or carry now on all tours, not just ones to Africa.

• My husband and I will be on this tour in August. I plan to use my Canon T7i with a 16-300 lens, which should be sufficient for our needs. I also have an 18-135 lens, but will likely leave it at home.

• On the shuttle question, to be clear, I had no intention to take a public shuttle. I was referring to a private transport, including some offered by tour companies. I am very conservative and would certainly not go the public shuttle route.

On the camera front, that is some heavy duty camera equipment some of you bring, particularly @cathyandsteve . I prefer to travel light, and from past experience I have found that if I go too deep into camera equipment that it is easy to miss the moment in search of perfect photo. The best camera for me is what I see and remember. So I will go with my Sony point and shoot rx100 vii which is pretty darn capable, coupled with IPhone 12 Pro.

• sevenseas - I like your camera choices. They will serve you well.

• The camera I use is a Nikon with a Tamron 16-300 zoom lens which is the sole camera lens I am using. I find this to be the most versatile lens and also use it all the time now. I was able to get some pretty good wildlife pictures on our recent trip to South Africa.

I also use an iPhone 12 Pro Max for supplemental photos and videos. A couple of things I have found immensely useful in phone photography are a Film Rig and external lenses for the phone.

I currently use a Ulanzi film rig shown below. This helps stabilize the phone as well as extra security against dropping the phone. I have seen numerous people holding their phone with just 2 fingers over a bridge or overlook and are almost at the verge of dropping it. I used this in South Africa and other Tauck travelers were intrigued with it.

I also use some Sandmark external lenses which attach to the iPhone case and are easily removed quickly. I currently have a telephoto, a wide angle and an anamorphic lens. I have not had much use for the anamorphic lens but the telephoto and wide angle have gotten a good deal of use.

There are other brands of these so do a google search if you are interested.

• Thank you everyone. That was all very helpful.

• cathyandsteve - I have the same 100-400mm lens. It sounds like you felt it was worth the weight and having to, I assume, primarily hand hold it and brace in the vehicles? I have a 70-300 DO IS USM which is much lighter and is the one I tend to travel with. You are right about the equipment being a personal choice. This will be my first trip to Africa so it's great to be able to bounce ideas off people who have been there.

• scsmithwy I found it close to impossible to take pictures from the moving vehicle. You could maybe get a few decent shots, but it was really hit or miss. We found the driver would stop at least briefly for a photo op. I have no problem handling the 100-400 and used it exclusively handheld. The weight is worth the improved image quality. I very seldom wished for a shorter lens. Sometimes I wished for longer, but could crop heavily and still have good quality. We are all different, but, for a trip like Africa the image quality is very important to me. We have many framed shots from that trip including several 20x30 prints.

• JohnS - Those are quite the iPhone attachments. I have seen the lenses before, but never the 'Film Rig'. What do the two things on the top of the Film Rig do? It appears the item with the Ulanzi label provides some level of setting control. Is the thing on the top left in the photo a microphone?

Can you use the Film Rig in Selfie mode? 😂

• Everyone’s experience is obviously different on the vehicles. I am talking about the Land Cruiser type ones that you will have on the K and T tour. First, to take photos, you have to stand on the seats of the car, shoes off, and pop your head through either the pop up top, or the roof where the top part comes off, we have had a mixture of both on our East AFRICA fours.
    It is normal for the drivers to stop and give you plenty of time to take photos. They will stop the engine so there is no camera shake. They will even position the vehicle so that your shot will not include the radio antenna. They will also maneuver the vehicle so that everyone gets the best shots. The driver will then let you know he is about to move so that you can safely sit down or brace t yourself. Once, a driver forgot to do this, suddenly took off and I was thrown into the edge of the roof top and got a nasty large bruise at waist level, yes, it can be hazardous. Most drivers prefer you to sit down rather than stay standing up while the vehicle is in motion.

Cameras, I don’t know a darned thing about them, I used my husband’s old camera until it got dust/sand in the mechanism and would not close on one of my Africa trips. I now have the modern version. I’ve no clue what his camera is, but he uses a Tamron lens which made him a better cameraman overnight when he started using it. We also use iPhones these days too, but always with the silicone strap I showed above. I have seen people drop iPhones a couple of times, once near a lion and another the vehicle drove over one when it was dropped. We have been pleased with our photos. Landscape photos are really important to me as well as animals, in fact probably more so than the animals because I have a love of geography, geology, plants etc. I make Shutterfly memory books that includes some of my writing for future enjoyment. The grandchild like to see the animal photos. We have half a dozen blown up animal photo around the house that give us wonderful memories of our Africa trips.

Like sevenseas, I firmly believes you miss too much if you totally focus on taking photos, in fact, scientists have proved it.

In conclusion, take all the equipment and over the first few days, you will figure out what works for you and depending what you want to achieve with all the photos. We all have different aims.

• Smiling Sam
    JohnS - Those are quite the iPhone attachments. I have seen the lenses before, but never the 'Film Rig'. What do the two things on the top of the Film Rig do? It appears the item with the Ulanzi label provides some level of setting control. Is the thing on the top left in the photo a microphone?
    Can you use the Film Rig in Selfie mode?

The Film Rig picture I posted was a stock photo from Amazon, but it is the same unit that I have. The 2 things on the top are an external light and an external microphone. I haven't found the need for either of those yet. You can attach the unit to a tripod either vertically or horizontally. You can also use this in Selfie mode if one so desires.

• I have a Panasonic compact digital SLR with optical zoom up to 500 mm. Can you give me your thoughts about that?

• edited May 2023

I have a Panasonic compact digital SLR with optical zoom up to 500 mm. Can you give me your thoughts about that?

If it's a compact camera it's probably not a full frame sensor. If that's true, and you really have a 500mm lens, your effective lens length could be twice that. It may be that your lens is not really a 500mm but is equivalent to a 500mm on a full frame camera.

Having an effective length of a 500mm lens should be enough for a safari shoot. The other question is the size of the sensor in the camera. A bigger sensor will give you better photographs.

[If you want to know the sensor size, google "sensor size in Panasonic model xxx camera". That usually gives you an answer.

• Mike H: thank you very much. I would have never thought about sensor size. I’ll look further in to that.

• A Kenya visa seems to require ‘proof of sufficient funds’ and wondering if a fully paid trip invoice would suffice. Don’t really want to use a copy of my bank account.

• Manyyard

"A Kenya visa seems to require ‘proof of sufficient funds’ and wondering if a fully paid trip invoice would suffice."
    I got the Kenya visa and I wasn't asked for any proof of funds, that must be a new thing... but I would not give them any financial statements of any kind.

• This is very new. We last went in 2019 when it was not an option. I would call Tauck to see if they have a link you can use and if they supply any documents for you.

• edited May 2023

I went in October 22 and don't remember this requirement or just ignored it if it were there. I would definitely not give them any snapshot of any bank account or other financial statement.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file