Egypt:Jewels of the Nile - October 6th tour play by play

Comments

• Looks like an Egyptian squatty potty. 😂😂😂

• British - Not correct. Think more medical.

• Today we arrived in Aswan, then toured St. Simone Monastery and Aswan High Dam before returning to the boat for lunch. Some non-Tauck people had different transportation to the Monastery other than a bus.

• Alan, I almost commented on that when I first saw Sam's post -- but I'll keep mum for now.

• Great pictures Sam

• Just back from the afternoon activities which included a visit to Philae Temple and a Felucca Sunset Sail.

You take a short boat ride to get to Philae Temple. It was an interesting temple, but the real oddity of this is the number of cats wandering on the island. If you’re a cat lover, you’ll be in heaven.

After returning from the temple, a short bus ride took us to where we boarded our Felucca for a Sunset Sail. Here are my thoughts on the Felucca Sail:

1) Tauck had good intentions - there were pre-made cheese/cracker plates for everyone and they served both red and white wine, and some beer.
    2) Now for the reality. We had 21 guests, a TD, and a TD trainee on the boat. This meant you were packed around the outer edge of the felucca, packed like sardines. Three tables took up all of the middle of the entire Felucca.
    3) The felucca has a roof over the section where we were sitting. What this meant was you could only see the waterline and a little above on the side of the boat you faced. On the side you were sitting you were packed so tightly it was hard to turn to look out that side as well.
    4) We sailed around for a period of time as the sun was setting. About that time the wind died and we couldn’t make it our unload spot. We had to call to ask to be pushed to where we could disembark.

In summary, IMO, the felucca sunset sail was the worst Tauck excursion I’ve ever been on!

Hope for better tomorrow. We disembark the ship and fly to Abu Simbel.

• That's a shame about your felucca ride, Sam. When we did Egypt our felucca ride went much better, not as crowded and we made it back to dock after the sun went down. I really enjoyed it.

• I wonder what they do for a full-size group. Two fellucas?

• I wonder what they do for a full-size group. Two fellucas?

That's what they did on the trip I was on.

• Smiling Sam - it is unfortunate that the felucca excursion was disappointing. Last October, our group of 24 was split between two vessels. The Tauck director went with one group and the local guide with the other group. It was beautiful and enjoyable, and while our last leg back to the riverboat was slow, we made it without assistance.

• edited October 2022

Sorry to hear about your nautical experience.

It worked out well for us on our March J&E- 19 guests, TD, local guide, our ever-present security person (packing heat) and about 3 boatmen. Hors d'ouevres were pick and choose- crackers, pita, cheese, veggies, hummus, etc. choice of wines, soft drinks. Perfect amount of wind.

After returning from Abu Simbel, we boarded Philea which was docked on the east bank, just north of the northern tip of Elephantine Island, to visit our cabins and rest briefly. We went ashore, walked down the pier, and boarded the felucca which was tied up by the bow of Philea.

We sailed out into and down river a bit. We a good view of the cliff-side tombs of the nobles and the Mausoleum of the Aghan Khan. We also had a chance to view Philea from the water.

• AlanS - any pictures of your group seated on the felucca, under the roof? That’s where I’m saying we were packed like sardines. We only had one more person than you did. We had no space under the roof because they had three tables configured into a triangle that consumed all of the space.

• We boarded our Dash 8 Q 300 aircraft about 8:30am this morning for the 40 minute charter flight to AbuSimbel. The two temples were amazing. We returned to Aswan and checked into the Old Sofitel about 3:00pm.

• edited October 2022

Smiling Sam
    10:03AM
    AlanS - any pictures of your group seated on the felucca, under the roof? That’s where I’m saying we were packed like sardines. We only had one more person than you did. We had no space under the roof because they had three tables configured into a triangle that consumed all of the space.

Sorry, we were packed to tightly together to get photos. :D:D No, seriously, there wasn't a lot of extra room, but it didn't seem packed to me or my wife. We may have had a smaller table(s). And, my camera was aimed at more interesting stuff.

• AlanS - I guess that’s what I get for being the size of you and your wife combined. 😀

• Bingo! :D:D

• Sam you're wearing my husband's favorite hat. He has two of them. Loves the small loops on the side for his sunglasses.

• Sam keeps managing to stick his head into the corner of an otherwise perfectly good picture :)

• BKMD
    1:37PM
    Sam keeps managing to stick his head into the corner of an otherwise perfectly good picture :)

• edited October 2022

Photoshop has a feature that allows you to remove objects. It's not perfect but it's pretty good.

• 😂😂😂

• MikeHenderson - Photoshop allows you to remove objects.

From time-to-time my wife would like such a capability, 😂

• Fly back to Cairo this morning and then visit the Cairo museum. Had a wonderful dinner at the Oriental Kebagy restaurant that has a Mediterranean menu.

Getting close to the end. Will be hopping on board our Qatar flight home before we know it. 🥲

• Getting close to the end. Will be hopping on board our Qatar flight home before we know it. 🥲

Smiling Sam. All good things must come to an end....there's always the next adventure to plan and look forward to B)

• Visited the Old Egyptian Museum, had lunch at the Ritz-Carlton ( just across from the museum ), and then checked into the St. Regis.

Tomorrow we visit Old Cairo, have our farewell dinner, and head to the airport.

• Smiling Sam. St. Regis vs Mena House...St. Regis is fabulous but.... will you have views of the Pyramids?

• Only pyramid views at the St Regis is of items in their gift shop. Speaking of the gift shop, my wife just purchased a silver cartouche necklace.

Happy wife, happy life. 😀

• We want pictures of the necklace!

• When I took this trip back in 2007 the felucca ride was for sunrise with breakfast, we were very comfortable there were several feluccas.
    Sam great pictures, sorry you did not enjoy the felucca ride.

• British - the necklace is being made. She picks it up tomorrow. 😃

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file