On the road again !!

Waiting in Atlanta. Still a long way and many hours to go, but after 3 long years, I can deal with it😊

Comments

• ‘Happy Trails’! Willie is our wake up song on our iPad alarm clocks, “On the Road Again.!”. I know exactly how you feel. Our first ‘break out’ suffered two short term cancelations, but we went anyway … a couple weeks later. One of the best trips ever. And they unexpectedly upgraded us to one of the best suites on the ship. We really didn’t care, but it was nice. We were just happy being there. One hundred days to Africa … K&T.

• Looking forward to your reports!

• Wishing you fair winds and following seas.

• (Finally got inflight wifi to work!)

Almost to IST. Turkish 787-9 aircraft, flight, crew, and food were fantastic, but it has been a looong day so far and we have a 5.5 hr layover in IST. My body has no idea what time it is! Over Belgrade right now- 1+23 to IST.

• Safe travels, Alan. So happy for you, I know you have been waiting forever for this trip. Enjoy and keep in touch.

• Safe Travels Alan....
    I communicated with a friend yesterday who is on the Nile cruise portion of her Egypt trip. She's having a fantastic time. She was in Jordan last week and said the float in the Dead Sea was good (the water was warm enough) and the hike in Petra was as spectacular as I described it.

I know you will have a GREAT time.

• AlanS - That 5.5 hour layover in the Istanbul Business Class lounge will fly by!

• edited March 2022

What a lounge!!! :D:D (and good wifi! :) ) I hope I didn’t choose unwisely- had some tasty Indian food. ;)

For those who have been here, you will know where we sat- here are a few pics from where we camped out (tons of comfortable seating, good view of the main floor, and a few things for the kids to do.

• AlanS - You picked Indian food. Did that turn out to be your favorite food station? If you have to layover somewhere the Istanbul Business Class lounge is the place to do it.

• milmil
    edited March 2022

Miss you, already. Cannot wait to see more pictures... rest and enjoy the beautiful hotel & the dead sea
    If you go to the Spa, ask for TIK!
    Have a great trip. :))

• Alan: How nice of Tauck to acknowledge your great support of the Forum over the years. I guess they are paying attention. Well done.

• AlanS testing the water in the Dead Sea. No float in the Dead Sea requires another visit when the temperatures are suitable!! :D

• Touche! 😂

Good job on the float, although I could have done without seeing the mud picture! :D

• I figured they got the “mud” from a spa supplies dealer. When the attendant was refilling the ”mud” urn, my wife asked him where he got it. He pointed out yonder and said,”see that point of land?- out there about 2 -3 feet down.

• Nice! Keep having fun.

• Leaving tomorrow; Alan S! Will see you Sunday, I guess.

• Such a great trip! you will enjoy it all!

• Note the resemblance...

• Are looking forward to following your journey! We are scheduled for November 14 - 26. Anyone else out there for that same time? Would love any tips you pick up on when GEM might open. We're sure hoping it will be just before we arrive but know it's a roll of the dice. We plan to stay 2 extra nights at the Mena House and are looking forward to several private tours. If you find a guide you particularly like, would appreciate a recommendation. Only suggestion I have is for you to make reservations for the Moghul Room on your free night at the Mena House. That can be done on their web site. Their Indian food was amazing when we ate there on a trip to Eygpt in 2009. Our Viking cruise then was good but we're really excited about Tauck and getting to Jordan which we didn't do then.

• OBXnana I agree, the Moghul restaurant was amazing. I was on this tour this past December. The first night at the Mena House you have a choice of dining options that is covered by Tauck. During the drive to the hotel the TD will inquire about your dining partners and make the reservation for you/group. The food was amazing and they serve you a lot! The atmosphere was quite nice as well.

I'm looking forward to traveling again to Jordan and Egypt (vicariously with AlanS). Perhaps I'll journey back that way in the future to see the contents of the GEM...inshallah.

• I love all the pictures and information you have provided. We are booked for this trip in October. How much local currency would you suggest to get? Would you suggest getting if ahead of travel or once you arrive?

• PureLuxury - Was dinner in the Moghul Room arranged for you by Tauck your first night? Or should I make reservations there the night we are on our own? Where did you go for dinner on your "free" night?

• I visited Jerash on the I/J tour. Most impressive Roman ruins I've seen! The Jerash trip was optional on our tour and about half the group stayed back for a spa day or whatever.

Alan - hope you've been exercising in preparation for the longest and most-ever planned hikes in Petra. :)

• AlanS - Did you have bagpipers in the Southern Theater? That was an unexpected treat during our Jerash visit.

• Sam - I don't recall bagpipes and I was there a few weeks after you were (about a month after the Mexican tourist stabbing incident).

• We had bagpipers and a drummer there in March 2020.

• MCD - We also had a drummer. In the picture below you can see the drums and the bagpiper. This was prior to their performance.

ure

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file