Options

On the road again !!

Comments

• Options

Fabulous photos…great memories! Can someone explain how to add photos to a post? Thanks!

• Options

Nancy Hi .
    I do copy & paste, it is easier.

• Options
    edited March 2022

Nancy
    4:50 am
    . . . Can someone explain how to add photos to a post? Thanks!

Click on the picture icon (mountain w/ sun) at the right of the tool bar, navigate to the directory containing your photos and select the one(s) you want. Remember you can “preview” your post to make sure it is ok and see the photo before you post it.

• Options

Or use copy and paste. When you paste, there is a little delay before a link appears within the text.

• Options

Alan, I'm so glad you were finally able to take this tour. I hope it was all and more than you wished for. Safe travels home.

• Options

So happy you had a great trip, thank you for all the pictures and comments. Welcome home.

• Options

So glad you’re home safe, sound and satisfied. Jordan and Egypt are both so amazing because both are unlike anywhere in the world. Can’t wait to see your pictures and posts.

• Options

AlanS - I so look forward to seeing your pictures inside the GEM. OOPS! :D

• Options

Alan, look forward to all you will post, especially the Petra hike, I hope I might be able to do it next year.

• Options

Alan, Wonderful pictures. We enjoyed this trip a lot and next year we are scheduled for Egypt and the Nile and Morocco.

• Options

Omg! you're back already... that went fast. Welcome back!! :))) we are happy to have you back safe.

• Options

mil - He came home via Stargate.

• Options

AlanS - Did you visit Tutankhamun's Sinkhole?

• Options
    edited April 2022

One more note about security. All hotels, including the one we passed through when going between the boat and bus in Luxor, the boat, and most restaurants had airport metal detector portals we had to pass through before entering. While they appeared operative, the "beeps" were mostly ignored by the security people. However, ALL attractions in Jordan and Egypt had metal detector portals and separate luggage scanners with conveyor belts. Get used to removing your belt, jewelry, wallet etc. and everything in your pockets, many, many times during this tour. Our TD gave everyone small cloth bags for our stuff. You will quickly establish a routine. I usually just put everything in a zippered pocket in my man-purse/camera bag. :)

• Options

What a wonderful report, Alan! It appears that the traffic in Cairo hasn't improved since I was there in 2016. I describe it as "Rome on steroids." One of the funniest experiences was when I was in about 6 lanes of very slowly moving traffic (as a passenger), and a donkey cart was in the next lane. One of the times that we were sitting still, the donkey kept nudging the Toyota in front of him, trying to get it to move.

• Options

Alan - Where was the Type G plug needed?

• Options

MCD
    8:35AM
    What a wonderful report, Alan! It appears that the traffic in Cairo hasn't improved since I was there in 2016. . . .

It is actually amazing to see it all work. Drivers seem to ignore rear-view and side-view mirrors. They drift from lane to land with no signalling, and maintain minimal front and side clearance (sometimes only a few inches!!), but I never saw an accident. The general rule seems to be if you have overlap or are just a tad ahead of the car next to you, you can move into his lane and he must yield. I guess it works because everyone follows the same crazy rules.

BKMD
    9:29AM
    Alan - Where was the Type G plug needed?

The G plug wasn't needed, but it will give you more flexibility where you can plug in.

• Options

Alan, Welcome back.
    as expected great report, waiting for the pictures ...:) Have a lovely day, I'm at work and as always it's a circus!

• Options

Latest please on whether we need to pack a sports coat for husband for dinner. Thanks and welcome home!

• Options

Not needed. I took one, but few others did.

• Options

Alan, thank you so much for the lovely and detailed report. I’ve copied and filed it in case we ever go!

• Options

Great report Alan, welcome home, you finally did it.

• Options
    edited April 2022

Day 7 The Monastery of St. Simeon, Temple of Isis at Philea (now located on Agilkia Island), Temple of Kom Ombo.

This was an extremely busy day!! It would not be our last!! We went by bus to the ruins of the Monastery first. As the crow flies it is probably less that 5 miles directly across the Nile, in fact you can see the Nile from the monastery. But, there are no direct roads, we had to cross the low dam which only had one lane open due to construction, then drive through the desert to the west before heading back east towards the Nile and the monastery!

Yes, the monastery is that close to the Nile!!! You would never believe it from the bus ride!! :o

One of the Monks activities was brewing beer in this area!

Next up was a visit to the Temple of Isis at Philea. Like Abu Simbel, this temple was dismantled and relocated. It now resides on Agilkia Island in the lake between the low and high dams. Other than the alignment and spacing of the structures you would never know! We transferred from the bus to a small boat to get there.

It was primarily built during the Ptolemy era, but the complex contains Roman structures like the Kiosk of Emperor Trajan.

Upon returning to the boat we found this on our bed- a swan?:

As we ate lunch, the boat got underway for Lower Egypt heading "down"(north) on the Nile (got that? :D ). Our last views of Aswan. Quite an interesting topper on the round building in the second photo :D It matched the sign in the lower right.

We also got a better look at the tombs of the nobles on the west bank. About 6 of these are open while digs are ongoing in others. The monastery was just beyond the hilltop!

We weren't done. I went for a brief, but chilling, swim- the water temp in the sun deck pool was fine, but the wind, which ALWAYS blows south on the Nile, and the speed of the boat headed north made the air quite chilly. Next up was visit to the twin temples of Kom Ombo which is dedicated to the Crocodile god Sobek and the falcon headed god Horus. The temple was just a short walking distance from the boat. The reliefs and hieroglyphics on the soaring columns and walls in the vestibule and and hypostyle hall were amazing. Our Egyptologist guide tried to explain a few of the key features but there were too many.

This panel depicts a birthing chair and, on the right, one of the earliest depictions in history of surgical instruments.

Outside the Temple walls was this feature which initially looked like a well. It was, in fact, a nilometer, a structure used by the ancient Egyptians to measure and record the annual flood of the Nile.

Then we walked over to the the adjacent Crocodile Museum to view embalmed and mummified crocodiles, etc.

When we got back to the boat we were surprised by an intruder sitting in our room! :D

The boat got underway for Edfu.

• Options

Great pictures Alan, thank you

• Options

It's been about 6 years since I went to Egypt but, boy, these pictures do bring back great memories and I'm wondering if another trip there is in my future.

• Options
    edited April 2022

Now that the forum is back up, I'll try to organize and add a few captions. You'll notice above, there are no photos of what would be considered the ruins of a "monastery" :D

I used an iPad, which is what I take on tour to post and upload photos. It is possible to do a batch upload with the iPad which is what I attempted with the previous photos. Unfortunately, the order the photos appear in the post depends on the speed individual images load, not the order they were taken or listed in the file directory. It is just too hard to mess with on tour. I will continue adding to this thread. There will more photos, like the ones of the Northern Theater in Jerash and ones take in Wadi al-Farasa in Petra, that some who have already taken this tour may not have seen. Hang in there.

• Options

We didn't see mummified crocodiles on our trip in 2009. Even more to enjoy!
    Re Security - Looks like much more than we experienced before. I hope we don't slow the group down. I have an artificial hip. No mobility issues at all now, but do need "special attention" when going through security. Anyone on your trip in that situation?

• Options
    edited April 2022

I had a "partial" knee replacement on my right side so set off the metal detectors everywhere. Obviously from my report, I have no mobility issues, either, but security was not a problem- I just pointed to my knee and said, "metal." I had a card, but it wasn't written in Arabic. Once I pulled my pant leg up to show my scar. You need to add little flaps to the hips of your slacks so you can show your scars. :D:D:D Whatever it takes- this is not a trip to be missed. While my wife does not agree, this was my #1, even topped K&T!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file