Options

On the road again !!

Comments

• Options

Alan , LOVE the pictures... I see they have cleaned up the area a lot! it looks great and removed the concert stages from main square. that was a big no no for pictures.. Yes, That Rest. is really good- Lots of food.
    We did had 2 bagpipers and a drummer Sept. 2021.
    Keep the fun going.. :)

• Options

To answer a few questions:

Mimitravels
    5:51PM
    . . .How much local currency would you suggest to get? Would you suggest getting if ahead of travel or once you arrive?

It is early in the tour, but we haven’t gotten any JOD (Jordanian Dinar) yet and are not likely to do so. You only need it if are planning to buy souvenirs from local vendors that don’t accept plastic or USD. If you think you will need it use an ATM at the airport or Kempinski hotel.

BKMD
    6:12PM
    Alan - hope you've been exercising in preparation for the longest and most-ever planned hikes in Petra.

Funny you should say that- I had been in training- walking a lot in the months/weeks prior to the tour- but have gotten a lot of exercise at the Kempinski. The hotel is in sections located on different levels on the side of a hill so, even using elevators you do a tremendous amount of stair climbing and/or walking ramps!! I had midnight leg cramps the last two nights! :o

Smiling Sam
    6:37PM
    AlanS - Did you have bagpipers in the Southern Theater? That was an unexpected treat during our Jerash visit.

Yup- two pipers and a base drummer playing amazing grace! :D No photos- was shooting video.

• Options

Have a wonderful time Alan, stay safe. Pictures are lovely. So happy you finally made it.

• Options

OBXnana. PureLuxury - Was dinner in the Moghul Room arranged for you by Tauck your first night? Or should I make reservations there the night we are on our own? Where did you go for dinner on your "free" night?

OBXnana...Yes, Tauck made the reservations and paid for the meal on the first night. I had dinner at the Italian restaurant for my free night.It was good, but nothing like the Moghul Room.

• Options

I was on this tour December 2021...we had a drummer and bag piper

• Options
    milmil
    edited March 2022

PureLuxury Hi
    That was my tour guide, He is AMAZING! really nice and fun. I'm looking for my pics.

• Options
    milmil
    edited March 2022

PureLuxury this is the Jordan guide the BEST!!

• Options

Reminded me of the Edinburgh Tattoo and the inspiring performance by the Jordan Armed Forces Band. (Just Google to see Youtube videos.)

• Options

PureLuxury this is the Jordan guide the BEST!!

mil...YES, that is Sufian. He is the BEST! OMG...so knowledgable and generous and he is always smiling... can warm a thousand hearts. You cannot be in a bad mood if you're around Sufian.

• Options

PureLuxury - ...he is always smiling...

Except in Mil's picture above. :D

• Options

Back from Abu Simbel via stop at Aswan High Dam. I think we are up to a 16!

Got there about 0930 via same charter aircraft and crew we had flown with the previous day.

COVID? What Covid?- many, many buses, fairly crowded, tourism back in full swing? However, by the time our Egyptologist was done talking and we had taken a few exterior photos, the place had almost emptied out- it was incredible!!. We pretty much had interiors of both temple to ourselves and even the area in front was almost deserted!!! We (Tauck) were the last to leave!!! What timing!!! 😊 😊

Legs still recovering from Petra. One more night and round of Alleve and I should be back to normal (whatever that means? 🤪

Later I’ll address a few negatives- airport security- Ugh!!! In-flight lunches, both leaving Jordan yesterday and flying to Abu Simbel today.

Gotta do some unpacking and get ready for the felucca sail in a bit. Obviously, wifi is good right now.

• Options

in-flight lunches are HORRIBLE!!!! :s

• Options

AlanS - Looking forward to your Petra posts. Since you are now in Egypt you must have been in Petra when the temperatures were in the 30s and 40s. I couldn't remember your dates so I've sent you a PM. The Egypt temperatures will help your body recover from Petra. You must only have a few days left in the tour, excluding any extra days you may have added at the end.

• Options
    edited April 2022

Day 3- Mt Nebo, Madaba and on to Petra

We departed early (as usual) for Mt. Nebo where we had a fairly short tour. The weather, while clear, was cool and windy. Mosaics on the floor and those mounted on the wall were quite impressive. The guide’s commentary made the visit much more interesting. We continued on to Madaba, where in the middle of town is St. George Greek Orthodox Church. The main attraction here is the mosaic floor map of the eastern Mediterranean area of that time. In addition to known places it has also given archaeologists hints where to find other lost cities and ruins. We had lunch of mezzas and Jordanian dishes at Hikayet Seti, a local family restaurant (just our group). Getting to and from this restaurant required considerable walking though the town- the streets are narrow and not suitable for the bus.

After lunch we hit the road for Wadi Musa, the town outside Petra. It was quite a long ride through unremarkable dessert-like countryside. We made a pit stop at a large souvenir store that had clean restrooms. We finally arrived at the Movenpick which is right across the street from the entrance to the Petra site, though actually quite far from the Siq and Treasury. Adjacent to the entrance is the really well done, and free, but small, Petra museum. We arrived in plenty of time to visit it before dinner- you need at least 30-45 min., longer if you read all the descriptions and watch the videos. You should make the effort to visit it!

• Options

Thank you Alan for the lovely pictures and bringing back so many memories. Abu Simbel was one of my favorite places in Egypt.

• Options

Great news Alan

• Options

Alan nice to hear from you, I see Mt. Nebo it's still as beautiful as I saw it. Mosaics are impressive. So, you guys had lunch at the little family own rest. food is delish and the lady chef is lovely , funny and very pretty also it looks like your main dish was different then ours.. heavier, we had the mezze and then some beef Shish Tawook, Chicken Shawarma etc..
    Alan did she mention the surprise visitor? I won't tell... but that was a great Story. :))
    Enjoy Petra, be safe. :))

• Options

AlanS - Was this the restaurant in Madaba?

• Options

Thank you for the wonderful photos Alan. Hopefully, I will finally get there next year.

• Options

Glad to hear your years of planning worked out, Alan :)

Hopefully you had/will have an opportunity to play "walk Like an Egyptian" while your wife wasn't nearby :)

• Options
    milmil
    edited March 2022

Alan , great Pictures! you did it..... Amazing!! Aleve Martini for you tonight!
    Tomorrow Egypt! , best to come.
    Take care.

• Options

Beautiful pictures Alan, so happy for you. I also made the trek to the Monastery and it was certainly worth it. Continue to have the best time ever!!!!

• Options

AlanS...Great memories. Thanks for sharing

• Options

Such wonderful memories. Looks like you had great weather there too.

• Options

Alan OMG!!!! so many memories... Love it. a great trip indeed- you're not behind on your postings..., it's just hard to keep up with the speed of the tour and so may amazing sights. Besides, the good things take time.... in my opinion. I'll enjoy every single picture and your mini reports. Keep it going :))
    Enjoy.
    Mil.

• Options

WOW Alan -- Beginning to think I should put this tour on my "To Do" list. Thank you so much!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file