Just my personal observation :)

13»

Comments

• edited June 2021

It looks like IT is experimenting with this feature. I don't use Flags, Likes, etc. , but decided to give it a try a day or so ago. After I clicked on the flag a dialog box where I could enter a description of the issue, opened. After I finished and returned to the thread, there was no number on the flag. I haven't tried it today. I'll test with Nancy's post. I hope it is reversible. :D OK, it just may be because I never used it for anything other than reporting SPAM, but clicking the Flag gives you a choice of "SPAM" which generates the number or selecting "Report" which opens a dialog box. Who knew? :)

• British - I think you're just looking at the wrong AlanS post. The one about helium didn't get flagged. His post in response to Sealord got Flagged and it has a number. It the post prior to his helium post.

I know, it's hard to keep track of all of Alan's posts. :D

I know, for me it might be something like the pot calling the kettle black. :D

• OMG, a change in topic but still worth sharing (at least I think). Our home number got a call just now for the second time from some guy in Ohio yelling and threatening us about why we keep calling him and we better stop or else. He even pressed 9 to be taken off the list. Are you getting the idea this guy doesn't understand phone number spoofing or the tactics telemarketers/scammers use? Add to that our answering machine message is something like "due to the high volume of scam calls we no longer answer calls from unidentified or unfamiliar numbers...." So I picked up the phone and attempted to explain to him. Total waste of breath. Didn't listen to anything, just kept yelling. I've now blocked his number so one wonders what he'll do the next time he calls to yell. Can't fix stupid or willful ignorance.

• Nancy I thought the same thing about the Flags...

• Mil: I only have 9 ... but the day isn’t over yet!!

Claudia: unless I recognize the number, I rarely answer my home phone (yes, I still have one) because it’s always a sales calls or worse. Now my cell phone is inundated with these calls as well. And the caller IDs are usually local exchanges so in the past, I answered the calls. Now I just wait for the message. You have my sympathies- who needs to be screamed at by a stranger???

• Nancy, we do screen all calls and didn't answer the first time he called several weeks ago. It was a Friday afternoon so we thought he was a bit drunk. Stupidly thought this morning that maybe I could explain and the calls would stop. He somehow thought it was up to us to stop some totally unknown scammer from illegally spoofing our number. Sigh.

• It’s time to BLOCK the number

• Claudia I do not answer calls to my cell when I don't recognize the number, as someone already said if it's someone that needs to talk to me they can leave a message and it they don't leave a message I block the number.

• Sometimes I long for the days when the only SPAM here was from foreign students trying to practice English. :D

A related, scary thought- I was watching a 60 Minutes segment about cybersecurity and ransomware. One expert opined that it won't be long before cell phones will be susceptible to ransomware. But not my cell phone!! It will NEVER happen to me!

• Yep, number blocked. Our relatives and friends always laugh at our message when they get our answering machine. Over time we've added any people we wanted to hear from to the phone systems internal directory. So many businesses, doctor's offices, etc block their caller id so it can take time to add the legitimate ones.

• With computer controlled voice over internet protocol (VOIP) spammers change the number they are "calling from" instantly. My call blocker is full, and like most is useless with VOIP. Now I just pick up and softly put the phone down. If a real voice comes on, I'll answer, but most of the time, they just disconnect in 15 - 20 sec. The vast majority of SPAM calls we get are computer generated. but they don't play the pre-recorded spiel or transfer to a real person until they hear your voice.

• Then you get the computer generated ones that you think are a real person. Boy did I feel stupid the first time I had a "conversation" with one before figuring it out.

• edited June 2021

Does the phantom flagger have vowels? Perhaps she (or he) is actually a phn scmmr

• I think SEAL Team 6 needs some drills. They need to go after phone scammers and ransomware hackers like they did BinL Laden. A few dead ne'er do wells will help the rest of them get the message.

AlanS
    But not my cell phone!! It will NEVER happen to me!

Alans - Is your cell phone safe because you still use a flip phone or don't have one? IIRC, you mentioned this once, but I don't recall the answer.

• Yes, one of those! :D

• In just a few hours, I went from 9 flags to 12! Seal Team 6 definitely needs to be called in. BKMD: do you have a direct line to them??
    In the meantime 👀👀 Phantom Flagger: I’m watching you 👀👀

• Nancy, unfortunately not. Maybe one of these ex-military guys like AlanS...

• milmil
    edited June 2021

Hey Flagger... give me one Flag too!!!

• edited June 2021

Here’s my personal opinion. The flagger can only flag your post once, so it won’t disappeared as it needs five to do that. While it is clearly annoying more and more people, it’s now getting a bit nasty and I think we should stop right here
    Right now there is a message that is about an Helambu Circuit trek that I have flagged....this is the type of thing I usually flag, although I was hesitant this time because there is no link to an external site, so not really a threat to the forum, it’s not really breaking any rules. It now has four flags. Can I suggest you read it but not flag it so people can see something that deserves a flag. Many of the posts that really do require flagging are seen at odd hours by regulars like me and disappear before others even have time to see them.

Several years ago, I was on a Tauck tour and was on line and saw a new post, I forget the exact content, but it was not nice and had a photo of the Boston marathon bomber in it. I was horrified. There was no flagging icon in those days, I initiatally did not know what to do and then immediately emailed Tauck on probably what was the info@Tauck one to alert anyone. It was soon removed and I got a thank you acknowledgement.

If we don’t agree about a post, let’s just do a disagree, save flagging for reporting serous stuff. Or just ignore anything that is not of interest to you. Of course I always have opinions, I was educated to question and learn about as much as I could and I can’t stop. Most of my useful posts appear when I have actually been on a tour and I report on it snd hope it is helpful to someone out there. I’m clearly not going on any Tauck tours to do that right now..
    I’m going to the Philadelphia Flower show on Wednesday, the first time it has ever been outdoors. If anyone is interested in that, I will write a report.

• Cathy...enjoy you trip to N'Aawlins! That's my city. Enjoy the music, food and scenary. I can't guarantee what you will see, but most people I have encountered are wearing masks & practicing social distancing. Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

• Cathy enjoy and send a report when you return. Never been to Memphis, would love to see Elvis’s little place.
    We have just checked into the Rittenhouse hotel in Philly for a romantic two nights and the Flower show tomorrow
    Life is getting more normal for travelers but nearer to home

• Cathy, I have better news for you……he who seems to know everything, my dear hubby, explains that you yourself are 95% protected, which is different than 95% of people being protected.

• I am from NOLA but now live in Houston area. I love the city but it is in a very bad way these days. Crime is out of control. We were there a couple of months ago and were very uncomfortable walking around. It’s very sad!

• I hope your hair is ready for the humidity... :D

• All I can say to “Cathy Steve” is be very careful!

• Louisiana is kinda shaped like Italy. Cathy, you have your hand on Puglia, LA :)

• Cathy, you look fantastic. Love your dress, of course purple is my favorite color. I think no matter which big city you travel to, you always need to be alert. NOLA is no different. I can say the same thing about Charlotte, NC. The news reports at least a couple of murders every day. Have fun.